Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer

I need help. I have an 02 SS with the Vortech Supercharger on it. The threads on the crank stripped out where the balancer sits. I already got everything together but need a new balancer. I see that the superchargers pully is bolted to the balancer and I need to know what is the right balancer for this setup. ATI told me to get #918853, but I want to know if there are other balancers that will work. Is there an underdrive ballancer? How about belts?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2011, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilo
I need help. I have an 02 SS with the Vortech Supercharger on it. The threads on the crank stripped out where the balancer sits. I already got everything together but need a new balancer. I see that the superchargers pully is bolted to the balancer and I need to know what is the right balancer for this setup. ATI told me to get #918853, but I want to know if there are other balancers that will work. Is there an underdrive ballancer? How about belts?

Thanks,
If the threads on the crank are stripped, sounds like you need a new crankshaft, not a balancer.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

I've replaced the crank but the balance is all loose. It was spinning on the end of the crank when I was on the highway for about 5 minutes. It's all worn out in the middle.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club

I'm using a Powerbond with my setup PB1480-SS. No idea how your blower drive mounts though as to whether it would be suitable.

And yours should be either pinned or keyed if it's driving a blower. Do not rely on the interference fit only.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I'm using a Powerbond with my setup PB1480-SS. No idea how your blower drive mounts though as to whether it would be suitable.

And yours should be either pinned or keyed if it's driving a blower. Do not rely on the interference fit only.
Does anyone know if this will also work with procharger crank pulleys? These are about half the price of an ATI dampener.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gpr
Does anyone know if this will also work with procharger crank pulleys? These are about half the price of an ATI dampener.
Ive no idea. What are the dimensions and fitments of your existing crank pulley ?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

After another request.

The PB pulley I am using has 6 x 3/8" UNF bolt holes. These are on approx 81mm PCD ( 3.2" )

From this you can approximate the centre hole if this is used for location. I'm guessing at around 2.7", but can measure if required.
I dual pinned mine. Ignore the trigger wheel mounted on the rear. Ive done this for my ecu. It does not come with that installed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Well I just ordered the ATI balancer along with the pinning kit. Thanks Stevieturbo for the whole pinning of the balancer. I didn't realize that they need to be pinned. I bought the car like as it is, with out it pinned.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Sometimes people can get away and the interference fit holds. But it isnt worth the risk.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

This thread got me to thinking and I have been doing a little investigation and research on the powerbond balancers. It looks like SDCE and Procharger use the same crank pulley's (diameters are different but they mount the same). Also ATI balancer and power bond have the same bolt pattern for the pulleys.

Everyone says you have to use and ATI balancer but it looks like Powerbond will also work and I'm betting other brands will as well. This is good to know to have other options, as it would be nice to get an under driven balancer while spending the money.

ATI told me the bolt circle is 3.2" and also been told from someone that the sdce bracket (works with ati) is 2.75" from bolt to bolt. Stevieturbo confirmed his powerbond also has the same measurements for bolt spacing.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

It would make sense that they do use the same fitments. As certainly my PB isnt intended for a single application.

Having 6 bolts also has to be better than only 3. And it's a plain and simple steel design.

I would have no interest in an underdrive pulley, and really cannot see the point of them unless you are turning very high rpm's or running high rpm's for extended periods.

For a road or drag car, underdrive is a total waste of money IMO.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

I am also curious to know if the Powerbond damper would work with a procharger cog. I would like the additional 3 bolts that this offers along with the savings in price. Have waited awhile to pickup the ATI 918853 in hopes that one would come across used. Has anyone used the Powerbond one with a procharger cog????
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM
9 Second Club

Googling your part number, there is an obvious difference.

The ATI seems to have a flush face where any extra pulleys might bolt to ?

Obviously my power bond centre is recessed. And there is a large spacer before the blower pulley can be bolted.

No big deal. You just make a spacer to mount your blower pulley where you need it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

thank you for the help stevieturbo. What type of crank pulley are you using?

If the original poster is running a vortech kit with I assume vortech's pulley, and it fits an ATI balancer, then i would thing they would all be interchangeable. Like you said might have to fab something up to get the spacing correct but the bolts will line up. Did your pulley require a spacer to bolt to the power bond, or how did it fit and bolt up? I am assuming you are running a vortech kit?

I wonder if i could simply buy a powerbond balancer and a 8rib crank pulley for a vortech kit? then make sure the sdce bracket is all lined up and should be good.

thanks again for the help!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gpr
thank you for the help stevieturbo. What type of crank pulley are you using?
Explain your question ?

Ive already shown you the Powerbond pulley I'm using along with the part number.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I'm confused, you actually have a powerbond pulley driving your supercharger? Is it bolted to your power bond balancer?

You put pictures up of the balancer, but not how you are bolting the supercharger crank pulley to the balancer, or the crank pulley by itself.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

It's quite obvious. The blower drive pulley bolts to the Powerbond via the spacer shown.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Stevie, did you make the spacer yourself or buy it?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

The parts you see above were bought from CAPA in Australia as part of their kit for their LS/Vortech cars.

Although I'm using different pulleys now. But I am still using the powerbond and the steel spacer.

It would be easy for any machine shop to make the spacer up anyway.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Agreed. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer