Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Powerdyne LT1 install questions

Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powerdyne LT1 install questions

I just got my powerdyne kit and the instructions aren't very clear. I have read over it about 5 times and can't figure 2 parts out. If someone could answer some of the questions I had that would be great.

The included instructions basically say:
Modify Engine Oil cooler lines
Relocate cruise control
Relocate Air Pump and modify lines
Modify cooling fan (cut top for clearance)
Mount crank pulley and supercharger brackets
Install supercharger and adjust belt tension

Cooler Line Modification:
Step 1: With both cooler lines disconnected from the water pump and radiator, remove the bolt securing the oil cooler lines to the oil filter base. Then carefully remove the entire assy. from the vehicle. Using a tubing cutter, carefully cut the coolant lines as shown.

Step 2:Select correct size compression fittings depending on the year of vehicle. Use one straight compression fitting on the lower tube and one 90 degree fitting on the upper tube. 90 degree fitting should point towards driver side fender well. Using teflon paste or tape, install 5/8 barb fittings into compression fittings. install compression fittings on cooler lines.
The longer tube (15 inch) gets the straight fitting and the shorter tube (11.5 inch ) will get the 90 degree fitting. Point the 90 degree fitting towards the drivers side inner fender well. Reinstall the cooler line assy. on to the old filter base.

Step 3: Install the supplied 5/8" x 28" hose between the 90 degree water outlet on the water pump and the 90 degree fitting on the oil cooler. Secure hose with clamps provided.

Step 4: Install the 5/8"x 20 oil cooler line between the 5/8" barb on the modified cooler line and the 5/8" molded plastic barb on bottom drivers side of radiator (air intake for supercharger sits right here and has a 5/8" barb is this what they're talking about?).

So If I am understanding this correctly they want me to remove the oil cooler lines, and make a 3 way split or T on each side. Connect hoses to the two newly made 3 way splits; one side goes to the 90 degree outlet on the water pump the other goes to the air intake tube before the supercharger.

Does this sound right? I see how having oil in the air intake could help cool the supercharger but what would happen to it after it entered the throttle body?

The second question I have has to do with breather modification.
From the powerdyne manual:
Step 1: Disconnect Valve cover breather (1/2" hose) from the throttle body. Push the supplied 1/2" hose mender into the hose. On the opposite end, install the supplied 1/2" breather hose. Route the hose under the throttle body towards the drivers side fender. Leave hose there for now. Use the supplied 1/2" vacuum cap to cover the nipple on the throttle body.

I have read through the rest of the manual and this was never mentioned again. What is the point of this? Any idea where the hose is supposed to go?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

No, that's doesn't sound right at all. Without seeing the directions and reading all the steps I don't know what to tell you, but I can say there is no way you should put a tee on your oil line and route it through the air intake.

Did the kit have some new lines? It sounds like they want you to cut the lines and add to them not tee them. The SC probably is in the way and will require re-routing of lines and or hoses.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah you're right.
I found a vortec install guide and it was much clearer. They want me to cut the metal lines and install a 90 degree elbow with rubber lines to replace the metal lines for clearance. The lines go back to their original positions.

The second part is simple remove pcv vacuum from throttle body, cap and reroute to air intake.

The Vortec install guide was written a lot better and answered all my questions.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Location: Weatherford Tx 76085 corner of N. Hwy 51 and 150 Green branch Rd.

So have you figured everything out and fired it up yet?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96famaro
So have you figured everything out and fired it up yet?
I finally got everything bolted up and figured out. I haven't driven the car yet because I'm waiting on a tune but here is a video of me revving it up with the supercharger.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/zP7_1bPakLs?rel=0

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powerdyne LT1 install questions