Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

the biggest thing i keep hearing about is that the XER lobes are a tad too agressive, but people still seem to have great succes on n/a and boost applications. they say the pickup and let down is harsh. although with under .600 of lift, alot of people just say run good springs like the PAC 1518s and just keep in mind to check the spring every 20,000miles or so to make sure they are still ok. My cam selection will pretty much be which one will show up first lol from what ive read, cant go wrong with either of those cams.
since im not planning on spinning my motor past 6500 (stock internals) i dont think its that big of a deal as alot of people make it out to be. Right now i believe Frsot set my Max RPM limit to like 6100 or lower. so thats not that big of deal, but with a slightly larger cam, id only have it uped to 6400RPM since i drive my car on the street more anyway. i know that kinda limits my power range, but it will protect my motor alittle bit more. which is why im thinkin 228 would be the highest cam id go with. no need for a large cam if im not even using it to its potential, nor even getting it to its power band in the first place. The 228r cam just keeps screaming my name though lol

As for boost, im thinking, with safe tuning 10psi MAX.
the only thing im wondering is, is .040 cometic head gaskets with 317 heads a good match? i know the LS9 gasket is a good one, but it drops the CR to about 9.7ish which im not too concerned with, but ive heard that the optimum quench is between .030 and .040. Thoughts? if 9.7 dosnt hurt bottom end that much, ill just go LS9 gaskets, but if the cometics are a better choice in size, for torque and combustion efficientcy, thats the route i want.

glad to see im looking at the right P# for the Aeromotive FPR. decided that im gonna go the "simple" route and hook up the FPR on the stock fuel rail and then use the EVAP as the return. as many have done
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
Regarding compression, how much boost are you going to run? I was running 12LBS on 10:1 and at the end of my 5.7 I had not tweaked the boost controller properly, nor put in extra fuel on the high end in case of over boost. Completely my fault. :facepalm: For down low power I would go with 10:1, you may not notice a difference at 9.7 though. I'm at 9.8:1 right now with the ls2 & ls6 heads w/ -11cc wiseco pistons.

Whats this XER lobe concern? I haven't heard or looked at this?
I like the Tick (LXL) and TSP 224/228 cam, I'm no cam expert though.

Mine is a Comp Cams XFI lobe 220/226 .605/.600 115+1

Fueling, I have the 13101.
so would i be ok running the cometics .040 gasket with the 317 heads running 10 PSI boost with the CR around 10:1 CR? tunning being spot on of course. or should i drop it a touch and use the LS9 gaskets?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
so would i be ok running the cometics .040 gasket with the 317 heads running 10 PSI boost with the CR around 10:1 CR? tunning being spot on of course. or should i drop it a touch and use the LS9 gaskets?
I'd run the LS9 gaskets. More reliable at higher boost. Do it once. Just my thoughts...
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Yeah... I'm still working on figuring that out too. Looks like we'll have to run another line to the back and maybe tap in to the fuel pump bucket cover or something. <scratches head> Will let you know if/when I figure something out. lol
From my experiance with return lines on srt-4's they run the return line to the hose that connects the gas filler cap to the tank. they cut the stock hose and install something that looks simalar to this inline and tee the return line hose to the 1/4" fitting.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

thats actually pretty cool, but we have a metal fill tube. Although, that does give me an idea. however, the easiest was is to tie it into the EVAP return port on the fuel sender assembly. Ive actualy decided to use the EVAP return line as my return and then have my evap vent.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HRHohio
I'd run the LS9 gaskets. More reliable at higher boost. Do it once. Just my thoughts...
Thinking im going this route then. with 317 heads 71cc, LS9 gasket .051, 9.7:1 CR. im thinking it drops it enough to stave off detonation with my modest 10psi goal. If i can safly up the boost for more power then so be it, but my limit physically from the wastegate will be 10psi.
ive settled on 317 heads, 228R TSP cam, and LS9 gaskets. Looks like alot of people are having good luck with these so ill start from here and see what it gets me. im trying to have a nice mild but able setup without too much fuss for daily driving.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

Thinking im going this route then. with 317 heads 71cc, LS9 gasket .051, 9.7:1 CR. im thinking it drops it enough to stave off detonation with my modest 10psi goal. If i can safly up the boost for more power then so be it, but my limit physically from the wastegate will be 10psi.
ive settled on 317 heads, 228R TSP cam, and LS9 gaskets. Looks like alot of people are having good luck with these so ill start from here and see what it gets me. im trying to have a nice mild but able setup without too much fuss for daily driving.
Sounds like a good safe plan. Can't wait to hear how that 228R cam feels down low before boost. I'm thinking it'll be pretty nice. Keep us posted.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

you and me both. im tempted to do just the cam but ive already got most of the turbo parts already so might as well do everything else lol
Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

well got a few extras finally mocked up. trying to decide which BOV to use. is it just by sound or does one operate differently then the other?

which one of these should i run?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

also decided to do the aeromotive boost referenced FPR and then do a custom hard line return to the pre existing return line in the back by the Tblock. AN hose is just too expensive and heavy. plus it doesnt take up as much room like an AN line
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

TiAL V-60 wastegate and Q-50 BOV is what I would recommend. I wouldn't go smaller than a 46mm WG and equivalent BOV
Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

welp got my car back from dallas, and boy did it hate sitting around for 3 months lol the stock fuel pump was screaming the whole 634 miles to el paso. so with that said, my racetronix fuel pump and wiring harness is the first thing im doing, like literaly lol i even bought a cutting wheel to get it started. bought some weather stripping to help seal back up the trap door that i will make. im not even going to atempt to drop the tank on my 14 year old car. i have no idea what would break if i did that.
so a fuel pump, wiring harness, and that little battery wire that racetronix sells. Got them all from WS6store when they had a killer deal going on.
Gonna try and hold off on this until i get an Aeromotive FPR so i can do the whole fuel system at once, but the stock pump just really dosnt sound like it has much left in it. It was so loud i could hear it over my exhast and stero with the windows down doing 80mph on the way back to el paso lol it was LOUD and whining hard lol
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back home man! Glad to see you got her back. Now lets see you get going Mine is up on jack stands right now and wont see the road again until its under boost. However I am thinking it wont be there until late spring early summer.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

lol yeah i need to get to work lol im gonna jack it up probably tomorrow to get the fuel pump and wiring started. also do alittle mock up for some of the turbo piping.
i had an interesting epiphony. i have the pan hard relocation bar...
im thinking of routing my cold side up and over next to the exhaust. obviously ill have to wrap the exhaust and the charge pipe where they get too close to eachother.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

most of the fuel system is done, ready for some added beef later lol
Ractronix fuel pump and harness is in

it went relativly easy.
car fired right up and I didnt have any issues.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

ordered 3/8 hardline kit to plumb a return line for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Probably an Aeromotive 13109. gonna run it into one of the rear stock "return" lines and block off one of the ports on the T-block in the back. Got everything to do this but the regulator lol
so far getting
4an Female to 6an Male Expander Fitting
6an Fem x 6an Fem 90 Deg Swivel Coupler
Aeromotive boost referenced FPR
6AN Male To 5/16" SAE Quick Disconnect Male Fuel Fitting
Fuel Line Adapter -6an Fem To 3/8" Aluminum PRE-730613BLK
25 Foot 3/8" Aluminum Fuel Line Tubing Hose PRE-737525
*Brass Pipe Fitting Hex Head Plug 1/4" NPT Fuel Air Boat $2.00

NEst is to get a 10an fitting with a 1/8 npt hole in it to plumb a hobb switch to hook it up to a buzzer or indicator light in case of pump failure of some kind, for the oil return... just in case.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 12-07-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Do you have a stage 3 revmax? Do you think it will hold all this new power?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

actully, i have a stage 5 built specifically for this build. it has a billet cover, antiballon plate, kevlar clutch upgrade, and set around 3200-3400ish area; all bolted down with arp boltsd to keep threre lol
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

well got ahold of a 45/64 drill bit and a 1/2" NPT for cheap of "the bay" $11 each. not too bad. Gonna tap the oil pan to keep the oil return as straight as possible to help keep any oil reuturn issues to a minimum.
I had an idea, i wonder since i have 2 pumps laying around, if i could plumb a redundant back up system in the event one pump fails or starts getting backed up... anythouhgts?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

well got ahold of a 45/64 drill bit and a 1/2" NPT for cheap of "the bay" $11 each. not too bad. Gonna tap the oil pan to keep the oil return as straight as possible to help keep any oil reuturn issues to a minimum.
I had an idea, i wonder since i have 2 pumps laying around, if i could plumb a redundant back up system in the event one pump fails or starts getting backed up... anythouhgts?
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd save the second pump for if the first pump fails. It would be a simple swap in should the first pump fail, and no sense in running up hours on a pump when not needed. Not to mention the additional electrical drain on the system, running the wires, etc. Like running 2 fuel pumps when you only need one. Replace it when you need to. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)