Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Forced Induction
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Forced Induction
Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
Sponsored by
RPM Motorsports

Desired sleeve thickness for F/I build?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic
 
My6speedZ's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,802
Default Desired sleeve thickness for F/I build?

If you building a motor with low compression for a supercharger or turbocharger, what is the minimum you would want to go on sleeve thickness on an aluminum block?

Does anyone know a reference chart that has the numbers for the different blocks.

I am wondering just how weak the LS7 sleeves are as I was talking about it in another thread.

I know re-sleeves often boast more thickness at larger bores than stock with smaller bores. Just trying to get an idea of where they draw the line between just a re-hone or needing to be sleeved.
__________________
If we never did anything we shouldn't do, we'd never feel good about doing the things we should

Oh you drift?... Thats cute.
My6speedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic
 
9sectruck's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: jefferson city MO
Posts: 1,088
Default

on a factory sleeve no more the .0010 over the stock size for a power adder.
__________________
2006 GTO 10.7@131.7 12psi 23deg 1.8 60ft. Back to stock.
1998 z28 camaro twin 62/66 precision turbos, forged 365 e85. PB 9.02 149mph
9sectruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
 
My6speedZ's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,802
Default

What is it that makes the LS7 liners weaker? are they thinner overall dues to the bore requirements? If they are using the same sleeves for all the gen4 blocks?
__________________
If we never did anything we shouldn't do, we'd never feel good about doing the things we should

Oh you drift?... Thats cute.
My6speedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
On The Tree
 
So.jerZ-28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 20
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sectruck View Post
on a factory sleeve no more the .0010 over the stock size for a power adder.
I disagree... Certain blocks will hold more power without egg'n or twisting the block, such as a iron 5.3 or 6.0 block.

EVERY BLOCK should be sonic tested before boring and consult with the engine builder on how much can safely be bored to withstand your hp goals!!!
__________________
rollin on junk since the early 90's
So.jerZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
TECH Fanatic
 
9sectruck's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: jefferson city MO
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.jerZ-28 View Post
I disagree... Certain blocks will hold more power without egg'n or twisting the block, such as a iron 5.3 or 6.0 block.

EVERY BLOCK should be sonic tested before boring and consult with the engine builder on how much can safely be bored to withstand your hp goals!!!
as op stated this is for a aluminum block not cast iron.
thats why I said .0010 on a stock sleeve, most cast iron block that I have seen dont have sleeves in less they really got f---- up
__________________
2006 GTO 10.7@131.7 12psi 23deg 1.8 60ft. Back to stock.
1998 z28 camaro twin 62/66 precision turbos, forged 365 e85. PB 9.02 149mph
9sectruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
TECH Fanatic
 
9sectruck's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: jefferson city MO
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My6speedZ View Post
What is it that makes the LS7 liners weaker? are they thinner overall dues to the bore requirements? If they are using the same sleeves for all the gen4 blocks?
on your question I do think the sleeves are to thin from the start for big power, but never really had a chance to mic a ls7 sleeve.
__________________
2006 GTO 10.7@131.7 12psi 23deg 1.8 60ft. Back to stock.
1998 z28 camaro twin 62/66 precision turbos, forged 365 e85. PB 9.02 149mph
9sectruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
11 Second Club
 
blue00ZZleeper's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,465
Default

From what I've heard the LS7's use a different style "Grey" iron liner. I believe that their more brittle then other liners, but were a good bang for the buck for a stock LS7. Most people looking for big power endup resleeving them. I'm sitting in the same boat right now, doing homework for a new motor. I would look into a LS3 block. On their stock bore, they seem to be pretty decent and with a slight increase in stroke, you can get up to a 427ci. I'm leaning more towards a LSX block but I'm a little concerned about core shift.
__________________
2000 SS, LQ9 370ci, F1 Procharger on 15.80psi, 6spd, 9"w/3.89's. 20+psi coming soon!
blue00ZZleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Launching!
 
SirNemesis's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Geelong, Australia
Posts: 223
Send a message via MSN to SirNemesis
Default

I'm running 30thou oversize on my LS2 block, no issues so far.
__________________
Holden Statesman WHII || LSX 390ci || T-56
SirNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
 
My6speedZ's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper View Post
From what I've heard the LS7's use a different style "Grey" iron liner. I believe that their more brittle then other liners, but were a good bang for the buck for a stock LS7. Most people looking for big power endup resleeving them. I'm sitting in the same boat right now, doing homework for a new motor. I would look into a LS3 block. On their stock bore, they seem to be pretty decent and with a slight increase in stroke, you can get up to a 427ci. I'm leaning more towards a LSX block but I'm a little concerned about core shift.
Ok, i was wondering if the same sleeves were used in all the blocks or if they were different.

For me personally if I ever go Procharged (thrown the idea around a few times) I would just go with a set-up almost identical to yours. 390ci iron with an F1

I was just curious where there is alot of talk about ls7 popping under little boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNemesis View Post
I'm running 30thou oversize on my LS2 block, no issues so far.
Yea I know you can go 30 over for n/a builds. With the extra heat, wouldn't you want to keep it at no more than 10 thousands over like the other guy said?

Whats the biggest enemy for the cylinder walls in a nitrous or f/i application? The additional heat created or something else?
__________________
If we never did anything we shouldn't do, we'd never feel good about doing the things we should

Oh you drift?... Thats cute.
My6speedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Launching!
 
SirNemesis's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Geelong, Australia
Posts: 223
Send a message via MSN to SirNemesis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My6speedZ View Post
Yea I know you can go 30 over for n/a builds. With the extra heat, wouldn't you want to keep it at no more than 10 thousands over like the other guy said?

Whats the biggest enemy for the cylinder walls in a nitrous or f/i application? The additional heat created or something else?
Mines turbo. 390ci AES rotating assembly with a Borg Warner S400SX3 (S475).
__________________
Holden Statesman WHII || LSX 390ci || T-56
SirNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
10 Second Club
 
WS6HUMMER's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 18
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alexandria La.
Posts: 2,532
Default

I'm interested to know if a aluminum 5.3 punched out to a 5.7 will hold any boosted power.
__________________
99 WS6,GT4788,TH400
Old build New build thread
WS6HUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic
 
My6speedZ's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
I'm interested to know if a aluminum 5.3 punched out to a 5.7 will hold any boosted power.
I know the 5.3'd are a prime candidate for a re-sleeve.
__________________
If we never did anything we shouldn't do, we'd never feel good about doing the things we should

Oh you drift?... Thats cute.
My6speedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
TECH Addict
 
Sarg's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,841
Default

They look to have pretty thick sleeves (the al 5.3) from the factory. I will see if I can get my partner to mic one of the ones we have laying around.
Sarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
10 Second Club
 
WS6HUMMER's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 18
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alexandria La.
Posts: 2,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg View Post
They look to have pretty thick sleeves (the al 5.3) from the factory. I will see if I can get my partner to mic one of the ones we have laying around.
What about when punched out to a 5.7? I think they have to be bored a lot, lik .9xx something.
__________________
99 WS6,GT4788,TH400
Old build New build thread
WS6HUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
11 Second Club
 
blue00ZZleeper's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,465
Default

I'm pretty sure a couple of guys have taken them out to a 3.905" bore. Even more have left it in stock trim keeping the cyl walls stronger and just ran a lot more boost.
__________________
2000 SS, LQ9 370ci, F1 Procharger on 15.80psi, 6spd, 9"w/3.89's. 20+psi coming soon!
blue00ZZleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
TECH Addict
 
Sarg's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,841
Default

We plan to just leave it a 5.3 in favor of much stronger cylinder walls!
Sarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
TECH Apprentice
 
98BLOWNZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 10
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 336
Default

I don't quite understand why people go with 370s. All I hear is they are a good balance in cubes and perfect for a power adder, but I think it's kinda stupid to bore it .030 over from say and ls2/lq block which are 364 stock. So why make a 370 with thinner cylinder walls, just to gain 6 cubes? Lol.
__________________
Its not about miles per gallon, its about smiles per gallon

ls2 shortblock/vortech t trim/brute speed blower cam
CMS tuned, 12lbs
98BLOWNZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
TECH Addict
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Minneapolis,MN
Posts: 2,117
Default

Because most core blocks need an overbore and .030 pistons are readily available.
__________________
71 Nova- 8 second street car.
Owner at One Guys Garage. Turbo fabrication headquarters.
LS1NOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
11 Second Club
 
blue00ZZleeper's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,465
Default

When you bore it out, you facilitate less valve shrouding with heads that use larger valves. The intake valve ends up "Shrouding" the airflow on a smaller bore motor. Boring it out, allows more room for the air to enter without it "stacking" up. I use stage 3 LS6 heads with a 2.08 intake valve and I wanted the best possible airflow I could get.
__________________
2000 SS, LQ9 370ci, F1 Procharger on 15.80psi, 6spd, 9"w/3.89's. 20+psi coming soon!
blue00ZZleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #20
TECH Fanatic
 
My6speedZ's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper View Post
When you bore it out, you facilitate less valve shrouding with heads that use larger valves. The intake valve ends up "Shrouding" the airflow on a smaller bore motor. Boring it out, allows more room for the air to enter without it "stacking" up. I use stage 3 LS6 heads with a 2.08 intake valve and I wanted the best possible airflow I could get.
Good to know.

I believe on the boost 5.3 AES sells they are running a 3.850 bore.
__________________
If we never did anything we shouldn't do, we'd never feel good about doing the things we should

Oh you drift?... Thats cute.
My6speedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is (re)sleeving recommended at high bores? Freefallin Generation III Internal Engine 9 06-29-2013 12:38 PM
na ls7 build... is sleeving needed baggins Generation IV Internal Engine 37 07-24-2012 03:26 PM
4.060 bore on ls2? JDP Generation IV Internal Engine 20 03-04-2007 01:02 PM
Darton FAQ and Installation Procedure jrp Generation III Internal Engine 3 04-25-2005 10:14 PM
Can you dry sleeve back to stock bore?? Lt1caprice Generation III Internal Engine 11 02-03-2005 12:44 PM


Tags
3905, 53, aluminum, block, blocks, bore, ls1, ls2, ls6, minimum, oversize, resleeve, sale, sleeve, sleeves, sonic, testing, thick, thickness


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details