Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Race gas on stock bottom turbo 5.3...any benefit over pump gas??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Race gas on stock bottom turbo 5.3...any benefit over pump gas??

This may be a dumb question, but I've never used raced gas before so I don't know much about it over pump gas. I recently found out that a local gas station sells it by the barrel, so I am just curious if there is any performance gain to be had on a stock bottom end turbo 5.3 with race gas over pump gas? I'm assuming you can run more timing safely with it?

Set up is a stock bottom 5.3, 6.0 heads (8.6:1 comp), LS6 cam, and 76mm BB turbo. Want to run around 15-16 PSI on pump gas...possibly more on race gas if it'll make it possible.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Yea with the increase in octane you can either go up in boost or advance timing, or both.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slpfirehawk415
Yea with the increase in octane you can either go up in boost or advance timing, or both.
Cool...kinda what I figured. I was just curious if it was even worth it on a stock bottom end 5.3 since the bottom end is what it is. Not like the race gas makes it any stronger, and I figured I may be pushing it's limits on pump gas alone. But if I can squeeze a decent amount more power out of it, maybe I'll get two tunes...one for pump and one for race gas.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should run it as a safety at 16psi on a stock bottom. Id say pump would be ok until 10psi. Anything over run higher octane. Now I know you could probably get away with it for a while with such low compression. I thought the same way and it cost me a forged motor. One bad tank of pump at that level and you will be looking for a new motor
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
You should run it as a safety at 16psi on a stock bottom. Id say pump would be ok until 10psi. Anything over run higher octane. Now I know you could probably get away with it for a while with such low compression. I thought the same way and it cost me a forged motor. One bad tank of pump at that level and you will be looking for a new motor
I'm not really dead set on 15-16 psi on pump...I just want around 550 RWHP, so whatever boost it takes to hit that is what I'll run. I just figured the extra power on a race gas tune would be nice for a few "aquintances" I know that are sometimes a little negative, lol.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forget the race gas. The money you will spend on two tunes just ad a AIS water/meth injection kit for when you want to turn up the boost a little. Then you can up your timing just a tad at WOT and full boost. I have mine come on at 10lbs. Most the time driving it around town haveing some fun I won't even get above that. When I romp on her all out though the water injection kicks in and protects my engine.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Forget the race gas. The money you will spend on two tunes just ad a AIS water/meth injection kit for when you want to turn up the boost a little. Then you can up your timing just a tad at WOT and full boost. I have mine come on at 10lbs. Most the time driving it around town haveing some fun I won't even get above that. When I romp on her all out though the water injection kicks in and protects my engine.
For some reason I just never liked water/meth due to the possible inconsistencies or an air bubble in the line. It's an easy way to blow a motor if the tune relys on the meth injection. My brother had it on his evo and it seemed to work awesome, but I have heard a lot of bad things about it as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats like saying air bubbles in your fuel.

Gas is lighter than liquids, so unless you run out of water/meth you won't worry about air bubbles in it.

Quick Reply: Race gas on stock bottom turbo 5.3...any benefit over pump gas??