Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Virgin 99 ss looking to hit 500hp Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin 99 ss looking to hit 500hp Ideas???

hey guys whats going on just pick myself up my first ls1 camaro ive had every other type out there but a ls1..i want to get it to 500Rwhp.."most comfortable power for me" i was thinking of keeping it Sleeper..with a rear mount turbo setup and all the bolt on's...my question is..what bolt on's are good for the ls1...im getting mixed reviews about alot of companys parts..im looking at the texas speed Long tubes with catless y...and possibly a fast intake and im trying to figure out what else...let me know some ideas...thanks guys looking for a good street sleeper build
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 PM

If you want to go with a rear mount, I wouldn't waste money on headers, normally they will hurt your spool time. Alot of sts cars run stock exhaust. If you decide to go the rear mount route, spend your money on fuel upgrades and a new clutch.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Build your own system or STS is an option. I would run a 70mm Turbo and wrap the exhaust all the way back to get some exhaust flowing. Also just run an LS6 intake, Might Mouse has been 8's on one. Its tried and true and doesn't leak.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys yea im really leaning towards the sts kit...im reading alot of people complaining about there oil pumps...any response to that word? and also you think i should build a kit myself or just spend the $$$$$ for the sts kit..there alot and it seems like a small turbo..70 trim huh?that seems a little better....8's??? on stock motor..or he got cama and stuff..or did i miss understand my bad if i did..i really wana get the most output of this motor its got 120 on the clock now..i was looking at the fast intake your saying just stick with a ls6? what about a ls2 ported??? or still not enuf..what fuel components are good out there for these ls's?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comp oiless turbo, perfect for rear mount, if your going to go rearmount you mise well build it yourself, or buy on off of tech used, they can be had for 1500 and under, but imo you just get a bunch of pipes, look into the huron speed kit/kytp/mod turbo, they make great stuff for front mount, rearmount is ok but alot hate them, i would like to do a rearmount just because of the ease to do one
Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

yea the ease of it is also why i want to do rear mount not to mention sleeper when u open the hood noone around here really knows what there looking at on a camaro everyone is ricer.....so gay i know...so oiless turbo and just piping kit now what about fuel system components injectors..regulator... stuff like that...i wonder how the Egay turbo kit pipes are...mainly for the front mount and pipes...?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

have you thought about a procharger? procharger and some meth should be 450 and then add a cam with ls6 intake and lungtubes you will be at 500 for sure.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

thats tru..the only thing like i said is under the hood i dont really wana change the stock look under the hood...but its allways a option if i find a kit for a decent price its possible..the biggest look difference im going for is the intercooler thats as far i want to go...and ill prob hid that behind a billet grill
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jdsuperstreet
thanks guys yea im really leaning towards the sts kit...im reading alot of people complaining about there oil pumps...any response to that word? and also you think i should build a kit myself or just spend the $$$$$ for the sts kit..there alot and it seems like a small turbo..70 trim huh?that seems a little better....8's??? on stock motor..or he got cama and stuff..or did i miss understand my bad if i did..i really wana get the most output of this motor its got 120 on the clock now..i was looking at the fast intake your saying just stick with a ls6? what about a ls2 ported??? or still not enuf..what fuel components are good out there for these ls's?

I mean on the LS6 intake alone. Don't go with an LS2 intake, they can come apart just like the FAST. The LS6 is more than enough.

As far as fuel is concerned go with 60lb Injectors and do this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...ick-cheap.html
Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed... Where are you located???

Stay away from headers, use stock manifolds and TSP ORY pipe.
LS6 cam is a good cheap starter cam for turbo application. (Don't forget to replace springs)
LS6 Intake is a good upgrade too, but not absolutely necessary at this time, maybe when you go > 10 psi boost and/or change heads,etc.

On3 Turbo T76 Ball Bearing is a nice entry level unit that will get you up as far as 650 rwhp comfortably, maybe a little more. If you go rear mount, go with the .81 AR instead of the .96 AR.

Definitely invest in a methanol injection system and possibly the intercooler.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Good Luck!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would also go with the ls6 intake, ls6 cam in nice too but since you are goin turbo for a couple hundred bux you could find a nice used turbo cam.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Teching In

You could slide a 408 with ported 243s in there with a TPIS LS6 intake and it would look VERY stock.

IMO, there's no way to make a turbo car look stock. There's always going to be a giant aluminum tube going to the throttle body.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys this is all great info it really helps alot..all im gonna do now is look into compoents for the turbo kit.. and yea i know the pipe is gona be a dead give away...i hoping the ricers think hmm CAI lol ...i cant wait till i get my 50 post so i can actually start getting stuff off the classifieds lol...any other info you guys may have dont be afraid to say it..im trying to keep it low budget ishhh...and stock ishhh...
Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

PM incoming.

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Here's my take on it.start with either the t70 or t76 from on3 buy a good wastegate and have an exhaust shop Fab up the piping unless you can do it.on the intake I don't think its needed at the moment or a cam for that matter. I think first and foremost you should build the kit first get the car tuned and driving and go from there. You can make 500 rwhp on a bone stock motor with Meth and a good tune. But you can make more with a cam and intake.here's a quick list of what you'll need.
Turbo,wastegate, exhaust fabed, intercooler piping fabed, intercooler, miscellaneous couplers,tbolt clams,bov,injectors,fuel pump,hot wire kit,tune,scavenge pump,lines,gauges,header wrap approximately 4 2"x50' rolls and a bunch of miscellaneous little things. Looks like a lot of stuff and it is but if you research you can do it for cheap ish.my kit itself has about $900 in it.its all the other things that add up fast. Definitely look at zombies and zl1killas threads. There threads will help out a lot.but with that all being said if I was to do it over I'd probly go front mount. I do like my rearmount and I make right around 500-525 rwhp on a stock lq4 but my main complaint is spool. Its decent but not as early as I'd like.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stangtrader
Here's my take on it.start with either the t70 or t76 from on3 buy a good wastegate and have an exhaust shop Fab up the piping unless you can do it.on the intake I don't think its needed at the moment or a cam for that matter. I think first and foremost you should build the kit first get the car tuned and driving and go from there. You can make 500 rwhp on a bone stock motor with Meth and a good tune. But you can make more with a cam and intake.here's a quick list of what you'll need.
Turbo,wastegate, exhaust fabed, intercooler piping fabed, intercooler, miscellaneous couplers,tbolt clams,bov,injectors,fuel pump,hot wire kit,tune,scavenge pump,lines,gauges,header wrap approximately 4 2"x50' rolls and a bunch of miscellaneous little things. Looks like a lot of stuff and it is but if you research you can do it for cheap ish.my kit itself has about $900 in it.its all the other things that add up fast. Definitely look at zombies and zl1killas threads. There threads will help out a lot.but with that all being said if I was to do it over I'd probly go front mount. I do like my rearmount and I make right around 500-525 rwhp on a stock lq4 but my main complaint is spool. Its decent but not as early as I'd like.

Beautiful shopping list for a budget build. I agree, the cam and intake can wait for a while. Stock cam/intake/heads + turbo will still get him in the 500+ hp range.

I like my rearmount too, and agree that the spool comes in a bit slow on my T76. I emailed back and forth yesterday with On3 about a .81 AR exhaust housing (I currently have the .96 housing). They said they just got a shipment in of just the housings and could sell them alone (without the rest of the turbo) for like $85 + shipping. I may get one and swap housings to see if that helps spool some. Then swap back to the .96 after I go forged bottom.

Again... nice list to get started and into the 500rwhp + range.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would also go with the ls6 intake and ls6 cam/springs, the duel intake wally 255's. im going to be running a hx52 on a stock 5.3 and try to make close to 500, front mount though its goin in a 88 chevy pickup
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

THATS WHAT IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!! thanks for the list man now that i know its possible to make a cheap build i should have this thing on the road in no time ...whats this on3 your talking about im new to it pm me...thanks for all the info now what about the dual pump setup that mightymouse is doing ? could that work to? what fuel components you running on urs?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Its on3performance. Basically a ebay Turbo that's proving itself. The dual setup is the might mouse one. You could also run a aeromotive 340stealth. I'm using one and its dead quiet. Should support a Tad over 600whp.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by milkplus
You could slide a 408 with ported 243s in there with a TPIS LS6 intake and it would look VERY stock.

IMO, there's no way to make a turbo car look stock. There's always going to be a giant aluminum tube going to the throttle body.

You could always put the Lid back on, looks stock that way.

Quick Reply: Virgin 99 ss looking to hit 500hp Ideas???