Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ECU advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ECU advice

Hi everyone,
I am starting to collect parts for a FI build on my 98 camaro. It is currently a cam/bolt on car with built suspension, 12 bolt, stock t56/monster stage 3. I am leaning towards beating on a 5.3 with either a tc78 or D1...undecided currently but this will not change my fueling or ecu decisions. I understand the limitations of my 98 ECU and will be upgrading this now versus later when the boost bug truly bites. I also wish to purchase tuning software now to start learning the science on my current NA setup....this leads to my "what would you do" question. Purchase and install a 0411 ECU and software or install an aftermarket system such as the Holley HP EFI. I respect the holley option has more upfront costs and current boost-GM coil issues but have been looking at the software and looks like a nice system to learn on.
Thanks for reading.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by giantrules
Hi everyone,
I am starting to collect parts for a FI build on my 98 camaro. It is currently a cam/bolt on car with built suspension, 12 bolt, stock t56/monster stage 3. I am leaning towards beating on a 5.3 with either a tc78 or D1...undecided currently but this will not change my fueling or ecu decisions. I understand the limitations of my 98 ECU and will be upgrading this now versus later when the boost bug truly bites. I also wish to purchase tuning software now to start learning the science on my current NA setup....this leads to my "what would you do" question. Purchase and install a 0411 ECU and software or install an aftermarket system such as the Holley HP EFI. I respect the holley option has more upfront costs and current boost-GM coil issues but have been looking at the software and looks like a nice system to learn on.
Thanks for reading.
If you don't buy the Holley, you will regret it.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchase and install a 0411 ECU

If it was my car, this is what I would do along with HPT 3bar OS.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by INTMD8
If it was my car, this is what I would do along with HPT 3bar OS.
I am trying to base my decision coming from a newb perspective. From the research I have done it sounds like the holley is the most user friendly to get up and running safely respecting the self learn is a base to fine tune from. I don't want to make this decision based solely on my current knowledge level but moreso on what will serve my needs in the future (Assuming the gm COP-boost issues are resolved for the Holley). I guess I need to sit down with the numbers and decide if the benefits outweigh the cost.

INTMD8- I would appreciate your rationale understanding that the majority on this site use the GM ECU with great success

Cheers
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much of my opinion is based on a car being dual purpose and not just raced, but basically for most applications the stock PCM does everything I need it to do and does it very well.

You can get very good driveability out of the aftermarket engine management systems but nothing beats a well tuned stock PCM in my opinion.

Going aftermarket you will still need to keep the stock PCM to run the stock gauges.

So what's the advantage to aftermarket? Closed loop wideband? I usually leave it off. Self tuning? I suppose that would be an advantage to a beginner. For me I would need a lot more time to familiarize myself with the Holley system before I could tune one in the same amount of time as stock or BS3 as I'm used to working with a VE table and not a fuel flow table.

Only time I would personally install aftermarket over stock would be if I wanted staged injection.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

You will love the Holley hp
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Restricted User

There is just no comparison. First and foremost, the Holley does EVERYTHING in one box and logs EVERYTHING together. That means that all data is in one place and can be viewed vs all other data. Can't emphasize enough how useful that is. Specially when trying to diagnose a problem.

In order to really determine the cost, you have to weigh it against all the other things that you would have to buy to do the same job. So with the Holley you get a fully integrated wideband. You get a fully programmable 3 step, boost controller (w/ AMS2000 type control), Meth Control, Nitrous control, they are working on launch control also. It also has a few pretty good safety features for loss of fuel or oil pressure.

With regards to driveability, it's perfect. It's also a lot easier to get right.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone piggyback the holley yet to run the stock gauges?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mike13
Anyone piggyback the holley yet to run the stock gauges?
This was my next question...also considering I am working with a '98.

Thanks for the input so far. GM made a solid system but for what I want to do (scare myself on quiet roads on Sunday mornings...track couple of times per year) Holley has put together a nice package that can manage what is needed.

Considering a single power adder with meth, I am thinking the HP should be sufficient?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

This was my next question...also considering I am working with a '98.

Thanks for the input so far. GM made a solid system but for what I want to do (scare myself on quiet roads on Sunday mornings...track couple of times per year) Holley has put together a nice package that can manage what is needed.

Considering a single power adder with meth, I am thinking the HP should be sufficient?
It should be no different then piggy backing with a BS3 or any other aftermarket engine management. You will need to leave the stock ECM in place hooked to the sensors that provide the signal to your gages. The sensors are read by the ECM and the info is sent to the dash via the CAN.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I guess "just" another 700 bucks buys the LCD to take care of monitoring all parameters...I probably don't need to preach to the choir about the snowballing within this addiction.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Restricted User

Some sensors share better than others so besides the wiring clusterfuck with the 2 ECMs, you may also need to double up on some sensors. I wouldn't recommend it.

The programmable Holley Gauges are about $100 each. The Touch screen can display any 6 gauges at a time.

Quick Reply: ECU advice