Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

70 Chevelle Restomod 5.3 w/S475 and 4L80E, Videos start on page 10

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
Pretty sweet . i like it .. More videos !!
Thanks, and I'm working on it lol. It's been raining the last week so haven't had much of a chance to get it out and have fun, but maybe this weekend.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Very cool build. Im putting together a 72 GMC sprint with a very similiar turbo placement as yours. What lower radiator hose did you use?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rustorbust
Very cool build. Im putting together a 72 GMC sprint with a very similiar turbo placement as yours. What lower radiator hose did you use?
Thanks! That will be fun, good luck with getting any traction lol. I used a NAPA 7674 for my lower radiator hose. It is pretty close to my crossover though so I will probably switch it out for something else eventually.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Time for another past due update, I drove the car around open downpipe for a little while to get some mile's on it. I finished the exhaust system up about 2 weeks ago and have been driving it every chance I get. Some pictures to complete the story:

Open Downpipe w/4" vband

Starting the merge to run the dual 3" pypes kit to my spintech mufflers

Coming together

A little closer

Test fitting and checking ground clearance

Got the downpipe wrapped with the DEI titanium wrap

Over at my buddy Kaylan's shop installing the pype's kit and mufflers

A shot of the engine bay as it sits now

What was left of my old tires after having some fun around town

New rubber vs old

I was kind of surprised of how much better the new Nitto's hooked vs the old ones, it must be a little harder compound once you get down past the wear bar's lol
Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Also made it to my wife's hometown car show a couple weeks ago. I decided to tow the car up there just to avoid any problems and to have a way to get it home if I broke it lol. Everything went great and we had a really good time, car ran great too . Had quite a few compliments on the swap and lots of puzzled looks when they first looked under the hood haha.

On the way up, sitting in front of Borah Peak, Idaho's tallest peak @ 12,667.

At the show parked next to my wife's grandpa's 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, he is a die-hard Ford guy so he gave me a pretty hard time about towing my car up there lol.

It's a smaller show with about 45 cars total so there aren't any classes to speak of but they award plaques to the top ten based on participant votes. We both were awarded a top ten plaque so that was pretty cool .

They also do a poker run, which was a lot of fun. This was a pit stop made at the in-laws house with a couple other guys from my hometown that came up to the show. The black Chevelle has a TPI swap and the green Pontiac has an LT1 swap.

A little fun mid poker run

And one more after the show

A fun weekend comes to an end, all loaded up to head home.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Nice!

Congrats on the top 10! The car is looking killer and judging from the rubber marks, it's running pretty good too!!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSChevelle
Nice!

Congrats on the top 10! The car is looking killer and judging from the rubber marks, it's running pretty good too!!
Thanks, yeah a couple of those marks were with 4 people in the car, it didn't even care lol.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Picked this little guy up, hoping to have a lot more material to post up with now!

Short video testing out the position from the pic above, skip to 1:45 if you want to hear the turbo

Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Made it out to our local 1/8th mile track, car ran good all day and didn't have any issues to speak of. I fell a little short of my goals but that just leaves more room for improvement. I set out to run a 7 something and was hoping to get 95mph out of it. As it worked out my best for the day was 8.021 @ 92.9mph, so came pretty close but not quite lol. This was leaving the line at 2200 rpm on foot brake, it wouldn't build any boost at that low of an rpm and with my 4.11's it was still slipping a little leaving the line (2.051 60 ft). I was running 9 psi with 13 degrees of timing on 91 octane fuel and running my nitto 555r drag radials(tire psi @ 18). I happened to overhear a guy at the track a couple trailers down say the DA was 6500 ft so that definitely wasn't helping either. All in all it was a good day at the track and I didn't break anything so that's a plus A couple pics and videos from the day.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Teching In

What's up with the bird pullin ya? Jk. Sounds like its time for some taller gearing.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trickle
What's up with the bird pullin ya? Jk. Sounds like its time for some taller gearing.
Bracket racing man, the bird had over 1/2 second head start lol, no worries though I passed her

And you are absolutely right about the gears, been pondering 3.55's.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build man and beautiful car. Ive had 3.42 and 2.75 in mine with turbo 6.0l and with the 3.42 traction was hard to attain. My current 2,73 are a lil too soft I would always recommend a 3.23 ratio and will be my choice of ratio of choice.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

if it doesn't have a transbrake Id suggest a 2 step. Friend of mine just finished a rambler with a 5.3 76mm combo. No transbrake. Couldn't make boost, couldn't hold the car back foot braking it. Put a 2 step in and now the car makes 3psi and is easier to hold back, the 3 psi really helps start the boost building process. Night and day.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
Nice build man and beautiful car. Ive had 3.42 and 2.75 in mine with turbo 6.0l and with the 3.42 traction was hard to attain. My current 2,73 are a lil too soft I would always recommend a 3.23 ratio and will be my choice of ratio of choice.
Thanks! I was leaning towards 3.55's but sounds like I might need to reconsider. What trans are you running and how tall is your rear tire?

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
if it doesn't have a transbrake Id suggest a 2 step. Friend of mine just finished a rambler with a 5.3 76mm combo. No transbrake. Couldn't make boost, couldn't hold the car back foot braking it. Put a 2 step in and now the car makes 3psi and is easier to hold back, the 3 psi really helps start the boost building process. Night and day.

Yeah I don't have a transbrake. I took the car out the other night and just stood on the brake and made 1.5 psi on the street, but it was really fighting to hold it. I probably should build the rear end before I add a 2 step and head back to the track, don't wanna snap an axle since I'm still running stockers with c-clips haha.

Look's like your's launch's pretty nice off the 2 step
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Things finally slowed down a little bit so the wife and I took the car for a drive, this is the first highway type drive I have taken the car on and I noticed a few things I didn't like. I took my EFILive Flashscan with me and was watching the TCC Slip and Trans Fluid temp, the TCC slip read between 250-300 rpm which seemed excessive to me for it being in lockup at 60mph and the trans temp got up to 230 after 15 miles at cruising speed.

I think I have a couple things going on after talking it over with a few people. First my trans cooler is not in an ideal location behind the bumper, it's not exposed to much moving air and second I think the lockup clutch in my torque converter is shot.

I'm going to add another cooler in more direct airflow for a temporary solution and see if that will get me by. I don't wan't to buy another converter for this 60E cause I'm sure I will be swapping to the 80E eventually, this might just speed that up lol.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates bro?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

man, that trans was hot-in my chevelle I had the cooler down below the bumper at an angle, kind of followed the frame, almost always was in the 160-180 range-unlocked it would rise some, but locked it was great
I used a 4L80E, converter was prob around 3-3.5K
love the color on your car
Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Had to take a break from the car for a little bit with friends coming to town, then heading out of town for my wedding Anniversary and a trip to our family cabin. But I have driven the car around leaving it in third with the converter unlocked and it doesn't build heat like it did in 4th locked up. Money is a little tight to buy a converter for the 80E right now so probably will just limp it through the rest of the summer and swap to the 80E this winter. I will also add the other cooler and run both for the 80E.

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I used a 4L80E, converter was prob around 3-3.5K
love the color on your car
That's the same range I've been looking at for the 80E, when I go that route. Who did you get your converter from?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Well I had a couple trans guys ride with me and they aren't really sure what's going on. It only builds heat and slips in 4th gear, not 2nd or 3rd, and the fluid isn't burnt so idk? I've decided I'm gonna drive it until it completely dies then swap to the 80E and be done with it.

I got a few misc. things done on the car while I was deciding what to do about the trans.

Took all the wheels and tires off to have the rear re-balanced and bought new front tires as the old one's were showing there age.

While I had it up on jacks noticed the passenger upper balljoint boot was torn so took it out and replaced the entire balljoint.

Getting ready to mount second trans cooler.

Mounted to intercooler using supplied zip-tie mounts

All plumbed in.

I had a new set of inner tie-rods and billet tie-rod sleeves sitting on the shelf that I never got around to installing so figured this would be a good time.

Taking apart the old stuff.

Passenger side all put back together.

Both sides done.

Then it was off to the alignment shop to get it road ready again.

Last edited by Agent_Orange_Shuvel; 09-03-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: fix post errors
Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Good to see you making progress with the Chevelle!
How's the summer been in Idaho? Hot I bet. Been hot in Portland.

You are running the 4L60 right now? Sounds like it's dying a slow death. The 80E will be a better deal.

Did you move forward at all with the 6.0?

Ron

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle Restomod 5.3 w/S475 and 4L80E, Videos start on page 10