Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

70 Chevelle Restomod 5.3 w/S475 and 4L80E, Videos start on page 10

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ron, yeah the summer has been hot but seems to be coming to a quick end.

The 60E is definitely on its way out just wish I knew for sure what was going on. You're right the 80E will definitely be better especially with the gear spread over the 60E.

Trying to trade my buddy my non-standard 6.0 for his stock bore block since he is doing a stroker anyways but he doesn't want to let go of his standard block lol

See plenty of them on tech just don't feel like paying the freight and they are way overpriced in my neck of the woods.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Also uploaded this today.

I added a Micover to the Non-Waterproof backdoor of the GoPro for outside of the car filming, it made a difference but not as much as I would've liked.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

I've been looking for something to fill the void on the front fenders where the SS badge usually goes. Stuck these little guys in their place. What do you think?

I also decided to switch the car over to E85 before I headed to the track so I could turn it up a little more.

At the only E85 pump in Twin , not much of a price break with E85 @ $3.85 vs 91 @ $3.95

I had been warned by a few of the local car guys running E85 that the Ethanol content varied quite a bit. So I bought a test kit and checked it a couple times and it seemed pretty steady @ 80-81%. So I set my stoich value based on E80 and have checked the percentage each time I re-fueled. I drove it around for 2 weeks refining the VE table and starting to tune above 10 psi. My time was kind of limited and my boost controller acted up on me so I was only able to tune up to 12.5 psi. I also spent more time refining the main VE table than I had expected as well. I got all of the drivability back to where it was on 91 and was pretty happy with everything except for cold-starts. I added extra enrichment to start-up per research on here but it still hesitates to fire then stumbles a little bit. If you kill the ignition and immediately re-start everything is fine, so not sure what's going on there. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot of injector duty cycle while tuning 12.5 psi and still pig rich.

Once the fueling was where it was supposed to be duty cycle dropped to 78% at redline.

Meanwhile the 60E is still performing great in gears 1-3, I have been leaving it out of overdrive and it hasn't heated up on me or slipped at all.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Met up with a few car guys the other night, just an excuse to drive the hotrods and bs about anything car related. lol

Old 10-08-2014, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Also made it up to Firebird Raceway, the closest 1/4 mile track. Had a good day and accomplished one of my main goals for the car this summer. That was to join the 120mph club.

Results:
1st pass - 6PSI = 12.121 @ 116.03mph

2nd pass - 10PSI = 12.031 @ 117.35mph

3rd pass - 12.5PSI = 11.716 @ 120.77mph

4th pass - 12.5PSI = 11.875 @ 119.30mph

1st pass was more or less a shakedown run to make sure everything felt good and see what it could do on low boost. 2nd pass added 4 psi but didn't gain much, so I looked at the log and it was only running 11.5* timing at the finish line. In my haste to switch over to E85 I forgot to revise the main timing table and the IAT modifier table. For the 3rd pass I added 2 degrees to the main timing table, left the IAT modifier alone and turned it up to 12.5PSI. 4th pass was a repeat to verify the results, but the time dropped because I got out of the groove a little bit on the launch. DA was around 4400ft for passes 2-4. All my 60ft's were 2.xx, mainly because I left my oversize front swaybar attached and still have stock rear suspension. No boost on any launch either, car would push through the brakes before it would build boost. Overall another good outing and everyone had a good time. I had quite a few friends and family come out to watch which was pretty cool.

Loaded up ready to go.

Threw the slicks on to help the 60ft for pass #4 but still went 2.xx

The wife and I between runs.

Almost the whole crew that came out for the day. Couple of friends left before we took the photo.

My Dad and I back at home, after a great weekend.

In-car video of pass#2

Finish line video of pass#3

Last edited by Agent_Orange_Shuvel; 10-08-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add another video
Old 10-09-2014, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Awesome build congratulations!

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel
Also made it up to Firebird Raceway, the closest 1/4 mile track. Had a good day and accomplished one of my main goals for the car this summer. That was to join the 120mph club.

Results:
1st pass - 6PSI = 12.121 @ 116.03mph

2nd pass - 10PSI = 12.031 @ 117.35mph

3rd pass - 12.5PSI = 11.716 @ 120.77mph

4th pass - 12.5PSI = 11.875 @ 119.30mph

1st pass was more or less a shakedown run to make sure everything felt good and see what it could do on low boost. 2nd pass added 4 psi but didn't gain much, so I looked at the log and it was only running 11.5* timing at the finish line. In my haste to switch over to E85 I forgot to revise the main timing table and the IAT modifier table. For the 3rd pass I added 2 degrees to the main timing table, left the IAT modifier alone and turned it up to 12.5PSI. 4th pass was a repeat to verify the results, but the time dropped because I got out of the groove a little bit on the launch. DA was around 4400ft for passes 2-4. All my 60ft's were 2.xx, mainly because I left my oversize front swaybar attached and still have stock rear suspension. No boost on any launch either, car would push through the brakes before it would build boost. Overall another good outing and everyone had a good time. I had quite a few friends and family come out to watch which was pretty cool.

Loaded up ready to go.

Threw the slicks on to help the 60ft for pass #4 but still went 2.xx

The wife and I between runs.

Almost the whole crew that came out for the day. Couple of friends left before we took the photo.

My Dad and I back at home, after a great weekend.

In-car video of pass#2

Finish line video of pass#3

Way to go man! I wish my 70 looked that good...I'm almost there 5.3 tc78 build...
Old 10-09-2014, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FOUROHSICKS
Way to go man! I wish my 70 looked that good...I'm almost there 5.3 tc78 build...
Thanks!

Have you started a build thread? If you have any questions on anything let me know and I will help with anything I can.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Updates? I know a few things have been brewing.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah there's a couple updates, first off got some new shoes.

Proceeded to test traction on said new shoes lol

And a week ago when it went from 70 to 30 degrees decided it was time to tear the motor back out to check a couple things and pull the trans to upgrade to the 80E. Hopefully I will find out what happened to the 60E this weekend when I tear into it. As for future powerplant options, I haven't really made my mind up. I will most likely do a turbo swap this winter and may swap engines too, we'll see what happens after checking out this 5.3 a little closer.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Looking good man!!

I really like the new rims, same style I was thinking about going with on my car. What size rim is it?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks!

They are 18x7's up front and 18x8's out back, definitely on the narrow side but couldn't pass on them because of the price. I am eventually going to round up some polished or chrome wheels with an 8" wide front and 9.5" rear but that might be a while lol.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Getting ready for the motor to come out

Motor out and ready to go over.

So a little backstory on why I pulled the motor.

Right before the cold weather showed up I went and picked up a buddy that had never ridden in my car before. We head out to some country roads err I mean "Mexico" , then proceed to beat on her as I always do and it kinda hesitates or studders very slightly while in boost. Out of boost mild accelerations feel fine, so get on it again and it does the same thing. I always have my flashscan with me so I log the next couple pulls and 2 out of 3 same thing happens. I head home and review the logs....nothing looks out of line to me, so I pull the plugs to look them over. Looks like it is running plenty rich by the color on the plugs but really nothing out of line there either. I went ahead and pulled the motor, once it was out we did a leak-down test and all cylinders were 5% or less except for #7 which was around 12% and you could hear the air coming out of the exhaust.

Does anyone think that one cylinder having a slight exhaust valve leak could cause the behavior noted above? Or did I possibly kill a set of plugs from running it overly rich?

On another note found the culprit for no 4th gear in the 60E, this is an alto red eagle 2-4 wide band. The drum was concave and caused it to only hit the very edge of the band. After seeing this I'm surprised it had 2nd gear at all.

Have the parts ordered to put it back together and down the road she goes.

In the meantime of trying to figure out what was happening with the 5.3, I finally acquired a standard bore 6.0 LQ4 along with some LY6 pistons and rods to go in it.

Sitting down at the machine shop, it's the one on the left

High dollar aftermarket rod and piston for my over the top build! lol JK...stock LY6 parts.

Still need to order some parts to put the 6.0 together but should have it ready for this spring

Also found this little gem the other day and figured it was rather appropriate haha.

Last edited by Agent_Orange_Shuvel; 03-11-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice build bro. I've been following since day one. Love that trailer
Old 01-06-2015, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Kaine, yeah that trailer is pretty nice...wish it was mine lol. Borrowed it from a buddy just for the races.

If I get the right winter upgrades accomplished I shouldn't be needing that trailer for the next trip
Old 01-18-2015, 06:12 AM

I have a 70 Chevelle Wagon

Yenko'd all black and bad *** !

anyhoo, going the LQ route turbo'd as well, and i have enjoyed your thread a ton, and i have learned a few things as well, thanks for posting it !

It was a great read !
Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a pretty sweet wagon!

You'll have to post up a build thread and throw me a link when you get it going.

I'm glad my thread has been able to help you out and you enjoyed reading it. I have enjoyed performing the LS swap/turbo build and hopefully I can add some more valuable posts as spring rolls around.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:21 PM

WOW! Chevelle is looking GOOD with the new wheels! She's a looker for sure. '70 has always been my favorite Chevelle, they're just gorgeous!

Just read the whole thread, nice job on it man. Ever weighed the car? About 3600lbs roughly?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the compliments! '70 is one of my favorite years too, if I didn't have this car the only other year I would consider is a '67, amazing body lines on those 2 years.

Yeah I have weighed it a couple of times while changing different things.

You're spot on for how it sat right before the wheel and tire swap.... 3620 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas.

It used to weigh 3480 lbs with the sbc 355/th350 trans and about 1/2 tank of gas.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:09 AM

Yep, '67 is my next favorite year as well

So she's right about mid-400's to the tires with the 5.3. Be interesting to see how the 6.0 runs for you.

Enjoy.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Haha that's too funny about our pick of chevelle's.

When I calculated the HP I didn't really look at the output from the ET because the car is seriously lacking in the suspension department....for now anyways. But we figured 450-500 at the tires from the MPH.

It should definitely pickup this spring, I'm hoping the turbo swap will make quite a bit of difference on it's own since that T76 is mismatched on wheel sizing. Looking forward to another summer no matter what, thanks!

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle Restomod 5.3 w/S475 and 4L80E, Videos start on page 10