Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

02 Z06, 370, YSi, yadda yadda

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 Z06, 370, YSi, yadda yadda

Now that I'm breaking this thing in I figured I would post a build thread. Coping this over from another forum.

After having a good run with my stock long block and A&A YSi kit making around 700rwhp, pistons #5 & #7 decided not to play nice anymore. All other cylinders were in the 180 range and those two well under 100. Such is the life. After further inspection, it turns out that my meth pump dying is what killed the stock long block.

So onto something bigger and better.

370 6.0 iron block with Weisco pistons, 1/2" head studs.
PRC 237 heads with 675 spring upgrade
Vic Jr. with Edelbrock elbow and stock t-body.
Custom Comp cam. Spec'd by XP Racing. Comp LSL lobes. 243/259-624/624-113+4
2" Kooks LT's, 3" Kooks X pipe, custom built 3" catback with dynomax race bullets and MBRP tips.

Breather system: -10 fitting in each valve cover. -10 line to its own
Moroso vented catch can. Elite Engineering catch can between the valley cover and intake.

Fuel system:
Magnafuel Boost ref. reg.
Magnafuel 4703 external pump kicks on at 5 psi
LPE in-tank
ECS fuel tank ring (essentially a sump)
Edelbrock fuel rails
Russell -10 twist loc black fuel lines for feed and return
Aeromotive filters
ID2000 injectors
GMPP valve covers

Keeping the A&A kit
2.60 pulley
Dallas Performance direct drive.
3.5" mandrel bent piping to replace silcone piping from blower to i/cooler
2- RPS 50 mm BOV's. One between i/c and super charger. One between i/c and t-body

Street duty. 305/35/18 M/T's
Mexico duty. 295/45/17 M/T's on a matching set of 17's.

I'll also be doing a lot of clean up work in the engine bay and under the car. P/coating the cradles, repaint the frame rails in the engine bay, P/coating a lot of parts etc, etc.

All parts will be powder coated black or spray lined.

SD tune from Brett at XP Racing in OKC.

Couple pics from the tear down so far.

Pic before the real tear down starts. Got the car loaded up and I'll have the engine and trans out tonight so I can get the parts to the machine shop. After its back home, time to start on the fuel system and clean up.

Crummy pic I snapped this morning after I got to work.

After getting my *** kicked by the car last night, the engine is finally out. Don't know why, but it did. Had hell getting the pass side upper control arm bolts back in. Managed to get 2 of them in and a 3rd started, hopefully I can get them right next time I work on the car.

No guts:

While waiting on a bunch of parts waiting to show up, I took the time to prep and paint a lot of stuff.

Here's some of the junk found in the oil pan

And the junk pistons

2" Kooks showed up

Thanks to Tony at T1 for the hook up

Got the cradle clean up and painted

Triple Textralia clutch I picked up from a CF member.

Folks Machine in Tulsa hooked me up on the machine and balancing work

And my new tag showed up in the middle of the build

Last edited by Twotonefreak; 05-13-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Well the rear of the car is done and together aside from the cradle and rear end obvisiously. Got everything cleaned and the inner fenders back in. Had to do some creative trimming on the driver side to get it to clear the pump, lines and filter. I test fit a 19x12 just to try and make sure the feed hose and fitting coming out of the pump will clear the the tire. Its gonna be close, but I think it'll be okay.

Also got my driver side coil wiring ran and the coil bracket mounted. I was able to use the factory bracket to keep things simple.

Pics from tonight's work.

Here's a quick pic of the fuel system done and the inner fender back in

I used some foam tape behind the pump, y block and parts of the lines to keep them from causing any noise and from rubbing against the frame rails to keep from rubbing any holes in the lines on down the road.

Tommorrow is redoing all the meth kit wiring, plumbing and actually mounting the solenoid.

I wasn't able to get the short block done last weekend since my folks had an emergency and couldn't make it. My 12 point sockets, torque wrenches and ring filer (kick *** electric one) will be to the shop tomm. Goal is to have the short block done aside from the cam come Saturday.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Got to play mechanic all day and finally finished all the wiring I needed to get done.
Meth kit plumbing and wiring is nice and tidy. Fuel feed is secure, pass coil relocate is done, BAP wiring is done also. Both rear inner fender wheels are back in for the final time. Far as the front half of the car goes, heavy stuff is done. I've gotta drop that cradle and clean and paint it,fix a brake line I boogered up, clean the engine bay and hit it with some paint. Going to order a RSD line lock, and dewitts cut down radiator in the am along with my cylinder heads and cam. I will be driving this bitch in a month. I should also have my hood and spoiler from paint in another week and half.

Pass side all done

Meth kit plumbing redone. (This is being pulled out since I found the pump to be the culprit of the stock block dying)

And here we go with the short block assembly.
Test fitting the ring out of the box:

I used an old piston to make sure the rings were square in the bore during filing.

Keeping track of each cylinder's measurements.

Final fit

Dallas Performance direct drive. This is a great piece that works!

Short block is getting close now:

PRC 237 6 bolt heads showed up

Long block is in the silver heap. Thanks to my father in law for helping out

It runs!!!! Still have some issues to work out, but it starts and drives.

Small clip with it on the idling on the trailer
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13368841562901

I redid my i/cooler to t-body and the valve covers

Here's an idle clip from the first test drive around the block

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13368843776833

Here she is at the body shop getting the new hood installed

Next to 'Trust's newest Viper.

Took her out for a spin this evening. Everything went great! IAT's were in the 108-117 range and even tickled 130 for a split second. NOt sure what that's all about since the ambient was around 78 while out. Going to have to double check my IAT wiring and make sure its as should be. I tested the external pump and it kicks on as it should when I put air to the hobbs. She runs pretty well, had to take some fuel of her and the idle is tryin' to hang when coming to a stop, but she didn't die one time. Has a pretty good stumble if you try to stab the throttle a bit, but nothing some keystrokes can't fix. So far I'm very happy, no oil leaks, or fuel leaks that I can find so far.

Goes to exhaust Monday to get the cat back done and I'll put a couple hundred miles on it and then drop it off with my tuner to tidy it up and start WOT tuning and get some

Last edited by Twotonefreak; 05-13-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

this thing is going to scream/ nice job and great looking Z06
Old 05-13-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks bud. I'm dyin' to get into boost and see how it compares to the old set up.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Simply amazing. One day ill own one of these. Until them my eyes will remain on this build.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Damn thats nice! All of the nice OK cars in OKC. I hate Tulsa! lol.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
Damn thats nice! All of the nice OK cars in OKC. I hate Tulsa! lol.
Thanks dude. That's right! 405 home of the fastest cars in OK!!

I know a couple guys in Tulsa with some pretty nice rides.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
Simply amazing. One day ill own one of these. Until them my eyes will remain on this build.
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Twotonefreak
Thanks dude. That's right! 405 home of the fastest cars in OK!!

I know a couple guys in Tulsa with some pretty nice rides.
I kinda overstated that. If you look on TulsaStreetCars there are a few fast cars. A buddy has a 1000hp Lexus (2J) and a few have some bad *** LSx Cars. And there is a GTR, no one can keep up with Reza's *** though.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Looks good man. Thinking about putting one of those YSi kits on my truck...seen a lot of good results out of them. Good luck with getting her all dialed in though, gonna be fun again I'm sure.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

That's one hell of a camshaft, what sort of rpm's do you intend to use ?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
That's one hell of a camshaft, what sort of rpm's do you intend to use ?
Looking at 7,400 shift points. But that all depends on where it stops making power. Its actually pretty tame so far. We just modified the injector tables and took a little fuel away from the old tune and it drivers pretty good so far with out touching anything else. Very curious to see how it does after everything is in line.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with 237's too. that is a badass flowing head you got there my friend. nice build
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

OP- Love your Plates!
-What lbs were you seeing on your old setup, and how many lbs are you going to try to be pushing on your new setup?
-Also what rods/rod bolts and crank are you running to spin it to 7400rpms?

Last edited by 99Ls1fever; 05-29-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
OP- Love your Plates!
-What lbs were you seeing on your old setup, and how many lbs are you going to try to be pushing on your new setup?
-Also what rods/rod bolts and crank are you running to spin it to 7400rpms?

Thanks.

The old set up was a stock LS6 with a cam was seeing 13psi on the dyno and 16 on the street from 6,800- 7,200. That was with a 10% over driven crank pulley and 3.8 blower. It made 690 and was still climbing, but we didn't want to pull it any further due to the stock rod bolts. That was on 91 and a 70/30, meth/water mix.

Not sure how much boost its gonna make. I'd like to see 22-24 psi, but I just want it to make the power I want and hopefully it won't take that much boost to do it. Lotta folks have told me it (YSi) won't do it. I say bullshit Renagade guys have been using the YSi for a minute now and run some stout numbers with them. There aren't many "street" cars with this blower and actually maxing one out. I also have a 2.5" pulley ready to go if this one doesn't deliver the goods.

Eagle rods with ARP hardware and stock crank and LS7 lifters. 7,400 won't be a problem. More time has to be spent in the valvetrain to handle the revs and boost at those rpm levels though.

I did get to play with it some last week though. At 45mph in 4th gear and you stab the throttle, it makes an instant 5psi. It never came on that hard before.

We'll see what happens. I'm inching ever closer to having it ready to start the real tuning on it. Still working out small glitches. My new Dewitt's (2"shorter than stock) radiator shipped today, so hopefully by next week I'll have it and my 4" blower inlet on and ready to start getting with the program. I also got the exhaust finished and I love how it sounds. I'll try and get a clip posted up tomm.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

I also redid my valve covers and i/c to t/body pipe. Got some new GMPP valve covers and had a friend weld some -10 fittings in them. I was going to coat these, but decided against it for now. Also took about 15 minutes and polished the blower some.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Very Nice Man, I Also Agree with you. I had no problem making power on mine, I ran a 2.7'' pulley on the blower and ran a 8.25'' lower. I saw 22psi at 5,200 feet above sea level; taking it to 7200rpms. So I 100% agree with you. I did have to redesign my cold side I was pulling from. I was losing 3-4lbs of boost by how it was routed.

What rockers and springs are you running?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Very Nice Man, I Also Agree with you. I had no problem making power on mine, I ran a 2.7'' pulley on the blower and ran a 8.25'' lower. I saw 22psi at 5,200 feet above sea level; taking it to 7200rpms. So I 100% agree with you. I did have to redesign my cold side I was pulling from. I was losing 3-4lbs of boost by how it was routed.

What rockers and springs are you running?
Where you seeing power drop off any at 7,200 or was it still making power? I still have to redo my piping from the blower to the i/c. Its a big rubber elbow that necks down pretty good to clear the sway bar, but a 3" mandrel bend will fit in there perfectly.

I am using stock rockers. I cheaped out, but hey the stock stuff works well and they weren't broke, so back on they went. It escapes me on the springs, I just know I got the upgraded PRC's.

Last edited by Twotonefreak; 05-29-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Twotonefreak
Where you seeing power drop off any at 7,200 or was it still making power? I still have to redo my piping from the blower to the i/c. Its a big rubber elbow that necks down pretty good to clear the sway bar, but a 3" mandrel bend will fit in there perfectly.

I am using stock rockers. I cheaped out, but hey the stock stuff works well and they weren't broke, so back on they went. It escapes me on the springs, I just know I got the upgraded PRC's.
I was making power to 6800-6900 range, but it only dropped off 5hp to 7200rpms. So I rap it that high at the track so I can stay in power longer and also so i dont have to shift again at the end of the track.

I would imagine those PRC springs are .660's but i maybe wrong. I would look into non adjustable rockers, just imo stuff. But it is always nice knowing you have no weakness in the valvetrain. And even though it is little power gain. it is a consistent power gain through the rpm range.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

I was making power to 6800-6900 range, but it only dropped off 5hp to 7200rpms. So I rap it that high at the track so I can stay in power longer and also so i dont have to shift again at the end of the track.

I would imagine those PRC springs are .660's but i maybe wrong. I would look into non adjustable rockers, just imo stuff. But it is always nice knowing you have no weakness in the valvetrain. And even though it is little power gain. it is a consistent power gain through the rpm range.
Thanks for the info.

They maybe, I need to dig the build sheet out of my tool box. I thought about it, but I'm so against aftermarket rockers (unless I was to use Jesel's etc). I lost a motor years ago do to some piece of **** rockers coming apart. 10 years ago and I still haven't gotten over it We'll see what happens once its tuned and spinning up high. I'm def not against upgrading if the need is there. By the way, what nitrous set up are using? I'm a former nitrous junkie and its been really hard to not put a plate and pill it to kill it.

Quick Reply: 02 Z06, 370, YSi, yadda yadda