Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

big boost on stock LY6 pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big boost on stock LY6 pistons?

I picked up a stock LY6 short block (gen iv iron 6.0 with dished pistons). I am doing a turbo with stock bottom end build. I read in a thread on here where some one was saying the LY6 stock pistons arent as strong as the LQ4 pistons because the LQ4's dont have the two valve relieve notches like the LY6's have. Basically that the valve notches make the pistons weaker (thinner in this area I am assuming).

Anyone have any knowledge of whether or not this is true?

BTW: I am not looking at running 10lbs of boost. I am more looking to push stock internals to their limit (or just shy of preferably)

TIA: Jason
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure you will have rod failure before piston lets go.. id boost the hell outa em.. i want a ly6 to push to limits...
Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

I live about 40 mins away from a cryo treat place called 300 below. I checked with them and their prices seam reasonable. I plan on having crank, rods, and pistons treated. I have to double check but off the top of my head I think treating the above parts is going to be around $250 total. This should help the bottom end handle a little more power. I also plan on running Katech rod bolts.

Jason

Quick Reply: big boost on stock LY6 pistons?