Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to look for a quality low cost supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to look for a quality low cost supercharger

I'm wanting to buy, but not sure of what brand is good and which one isn't.
Kinda like e-bay headers to pacesetter to ARH stainless. They all do the same but quality/price is the deciding factor. If someone knows their superchargers fill me in please.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

What type of power are you trying to make? To be honest superchargers aren't cheap regardless of brand but like I said it depends on what your looking to do with the car. You really do pay for quality units. Some brands to mention a few are procharger, vortec, tvs,whipple etc etc. some produce more Power in certain areas over the others and certain ones will give more low end power over others. Example a tvs will give you more grunt down low vs procharger but a procharger typically squeeze more up out of your setup over all and will perform great the harder you spin it. I know the information may be vauge but like I stated what one supercharger setup that fits your needs may be different from someone else's. Maybe a little more feedback on what your goals are will help narrow down a selection on what you should be looking for. Once you experience a boosted car it's sometimes difficult to go back to n/a
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen on not wanting to go back NA. I bought my car new and wanted to hop it up right away. Mechanic got me talked into waiting a week to see if it would have enough for me. Well week later I ordered a 600B Procharger. It was nuts talk about spinning the tires about whenever you wanted.

But I came into a few batches of fuel and broke the piston lands. Third time we put blower pistons in. THen I thought I had busted piston skirts. So I ordered the best of the best 383 stroker kit. And havent looked back since. Oh the issue was GM dealer didnt use new rocker nuts half the rockers were way loose or pushrods sitting in the valley area. Funny it ran as good as it did and still had decent power. And still won a few races against stock LT1's
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I am in the process in pulling off my brand new d1sc because off the 8 pound pulley , according to hp tuners I was nearly making 9.6 pounds of boost on an all stock ls6, it felt amazing foot braking and even better off the transbrake but it was very difficult to hook on the street off the trans brake plus without meth my engine lasted me about 115 miles. It not only sounds amazing in the car taking off but it sounds just as good outside the car, I did some quick digs outside my house and my dad thought it sounded like a jet engine taking off.lol
Old 06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6 Z28
I am in the process in pulling off my brand new d1sc because off the 8 pound pulley , according to hp tuners I was nearly making 9.6 pounds of boost on an all stock ls6, it felt amazing foot braking and even better off the transbrake but it was very difficult to hook on the street off the trans brake plus without meth my engine lasted me about 115 miles. It not only sounds amazing in the car taking off but it sounds just as good outside the car, I did some quick digs outside my house and my dad thought it sounded like a jet engine taking off.lol
Must have had something wrong with the tune or??? My 200k mile stock longblock has went 28k miles so far on 9lbs of boost with a good tune and 93 octane gas with no meth...
Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A good cheap supercharger is more mythical than a unicorn that can juggle. It's not like cheap ebay turbos that are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6 Z28
There is nothing saying 8lbs pulley. Boost is based on several factors, one being RPM.

Stock LS6 should run 10lbs no problem with a good tune no meth required...
Proper timing 13-14° through the torque peak and 15-16° upper and Lambda 0.79 -0.80, and a proper IAT timing retard table.

What broke?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
A good cheap supercharger is more mythical than a unicorn that can juggle. It's not like cheap ebay turbos that are a dime a dozen.
agreed.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Must have had something wrong with the tune or???.
more than likely.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
That sums it up...just thought I'd ask..
Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by justin hover
That sums it up...just thought I'd ask..
Not necessarily, I picked up my Vortech kit for $2500 complete from a member on here. I spent $500 on 60lb inj new and a racetronics kit, and another $450 for a dyno tune. All in all, about $3500 to reliably make 9lbs on a dd car with air that still gets 22mpg. Now thats about borderline as it gets, haha...
Old 06-09-2012, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vmapper
There is nothing saying 8lbs pulley. Boost is based on several factors, one being RPM.

Stock LS6 should run 10lbs no problem with a good tune no meth required...
Proper timing 13-14° through the torque peak and 15-16° upper and Lambda 0.79 -0.80, and a proper IAT timing retard table.

What broke?
I'm not 100% sure what broke but something in the engine did, I've not gotten enough time to pull it out the car to tear it down to check and it is possible it could have been the tune, to early to tell until I can pull it out the car so I can open it up, but it felt awesome to have consistent power! I had a constant grin on my face looking for local friends to race so there went the fuel economy.lol plus it doesn't help when you get in the car and your right foot instantly weighs another 20 pounds
Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive got a goodprocharger p600b for sale at a very good price.
Flows just about as good as p1sc. But not self contained. Has 6rib pulley. Its the model used on lt1 cars, has a simple bolt pattern, should be easy to adapt to a ls with a 3/4 plate of aluminum for a bracket. It was pumping about 8psi on a stock lt1.
Its engine oil fed and drain just like a turbo.
Pm if interested.

Quick Reply: Where to look for a quality low cost supercharger