Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbocharge of procharge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM
BashamWS6 Troll Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so lost. these endless forums are making my head spin...

I want to keep driveability, decent mpg, and this is a street/strip/show car (a continuous work in progress) so i want a good clean, easy to manage set up that wont kill my streetablility and wont kill my mpg.

I want to be into the 10s for now and as this becomes more of a drag car then go on from there...

what are your thoughts?

i also have full exhaust so that makes me lean towards procharger...
1 7/8 LTS, ORY, Custom borla catback

oh and im open to a FMIC as well

and would like to keep traction control, a/c, etc
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Are you stock motor or forged? need more info, But Procharger would be what your looking for probably a F1A or D1SC depending on motor you have. I'm in process of having my F1A installed, I'll be running around 15 lbs of boost should make around 800rwhp, cost about 8k for my kit. I'm putting a forged motor in with it also. on stock motor a D1sc with 8psi should make close to 550 rwhp. talk with bob@brutespeed hes the man for Prochargers.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Launching!

I agree it sounds like your situation may call for the procharger route.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
BashamWS6 Troll Account

It is stock for now. I am debating on buying a LQ4 but still undecided
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Ive been a turbo guy for as long as some of the guys on this board have been alive. We turbocharged my dads honda gold wing back in the early 80's, it was LOW budget and looked like we bought it off the set of mad max. BUT.. once she got up on boost the front tire didnt touch down till over 100 mph or u rolled the twist and go forward.

These procharger set ups are doing things that people would of called a big BS on not that damn long ago. Hell people would be calling BS today if there just werent so many of them doing it. You start checking off the score card for the car does this well and this well and this well AND makes that much power! Them bastards are in an area that us turbo guys had all to ourselfs

I wanted to do a forced induction LS motor and a hardcore long time turbo guy like me almost switched teams. If it wasnt for the fact that I had about $6000 of brand new turbo stuff in the basement.......

Hell maybe I am just bored with them, because turbos are great even more so than almost 30 yrs ago.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you’re a street or back road driver, that enjoys snappy throttle response, and a predictable power curve get the procharger.
If you just want to find long straight away’s where you can take off like a fighter jet, go turbo.

I had a 6 speed turbo car and a 4L80e turbo car. Both were wicked on the highway but where I live, I couldn’t drive it to its full
Potential. I would have to drive to the highway to unleash its power.

A 6 speed car with a set of 3.90 gears & a D1SC is my choice because it fits the type of driving I mainly do.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly a procharger is the easiest route to go. Only go turbo if your heart is set on it because what would take you a weekend or two to bolt on a procharger would take you much longer to do a front mount turbo setup to retain things like AC, PS, ABS, etc.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Procharger kit is a breeze. bolts right on. the addition of the aster bracket, and a badass tune will make it very rewarding and hassle free. anything over 800 go F1-A. Do not fail to read the high cost of forced induction sticky. it can really shine a light as to what your getting into.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah going f/I gets pricey.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
BashamWS6 Troll Account

yeah i have read that over. but i see so many people on stock engines just pushing the basic 6-9lbs of boost. i would like a turbo just because of the strip but since i drive it so much, that procharger would be better, not to mention i have almost $1400 in exhaust...

as for the frount mount, i heard that this is a gain over the twin intercoolers and that the newer modeled fmic are much easier to install.

is there any write ups on fmic install? or will i have to call bob again?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on budget.

Modular Turbos TT kit retains everything and is capable of big power.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you can find a used one F1 head units start at 5400 then you need IC and tubing.

Turbo's will get you better fuel mileage also.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

My f1a kit was 8k but more like 11k when you add fuel system, meth kit,gauges.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Street/strip/show car that pulls good gas mileage screams twin turbo. No matter what you do its gonna be a lot of work and money. I wouldnt base your decision onthe fact that you have long tubes. You can pull them and get a lot of your money back selling them.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

How is the MPGs with a large head unit like a f1a? I know it says it increases fuel mileage or has little effect but thats usually with the smaller ones.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Well if you are just cruising and not into the boost should be pretty descent, But don't expect good mpg with foot being made of lead lol. I'll let ya know how my mpg's are, car should be done in next couple weeks, still waiting on my aster bracket.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Before my tight wad gene kicked in and pushed me to use already bought and paid for turbo stuff I was getting interested in something like a 4 liter whipple. The procharger's can make alot of power but I always thought that a SC up on top of the motor looks way cooler. They also are getting the efficiency up on those. The big power advantage prochargers have over these is that most of the "on top" sc kits just arent big enough for the high flowing LS motors.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2996-wh...cp-w245ax.aspx

http://horsepowercalculators.net/sup...er-performance
Old 06-12-2012, 06:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ComeAtMeBro
yeah i have read that over. but i see so many people on stock engines just pushing the basic 6-9lbs of boost. i would like a turbo just because of the strip but since i drive it so much, that procharger would be better, not to mention i have almost $1400 in exhaust...

as for the frount mount, i heard that this is a gain over the twin intercoolers and that the newer modeled fmic are much easier to install.

is there any write ups on fmic install? or will i have to call bob again?
E-mail me at brutespeed@gmail.com and request the front mount intercooler installation instructions and I'll e-mail them back to you. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 AM
BashamWS6 Troll Account

Well if it is one thing I have learned about anything [and especially with cars] you can never have a budget because it always gets blown out of the water. For the fuel pump, meth kit, guages, and turbo/procharger set up... I would like to stay under 10 just because i don't want to get too carried away...for now

Email sent Bob. Do you know any good tuners around southern Indiana or the tri-state area?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ComeAtMeBro
Well if it is one thing I have learned about anything [and especially with cars] you can never have a budget because it always gets blown out of the water. For the fuel pump, meth kit, guages, and turbo/procharger set up... I would like to stay under 10 just because i don't want to get too carried away...for now

Email sent Bob. Do you know any good tuners around southern Indiana or the tri-state area?
I just replied to your e-mail, and to your question of a good tuner. Thanks.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ20...-Speed-Kit.htm
Here is my complete ProCharger kit link, with many options at the bottom of the link. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Turbocharge of procharge?