Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger blowing oil on less than 3,000 mile rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger blowing oil on less than 3,000 mile rebuild

I just returned from the Hot Rod Power Tour. Weather was great and the tour was fun as usual. My P1SC was rebuild last year due to a leaking seal. I installed it and ran about 400 miles on it and then tore the car down for a new engine. Got the car back on the road in March and put about 1500 miles on it before the power tour. While on the tour the P1 was blowing oil out of the blow-off valve getting oil all over the place (new engine and detailed engine bay) Now everything looks like crap and is a big mess. Called procharger today and they gave me an RMA number and will charge me $95 to "look" at it. So I am sure it needs another rebuild and if it does and they don't work out a compromise on the job I will be passing on the rebuild and switching companies so keep posted I might be selling it. I really can't understand how a $400 rebuild goes bad after so little use anyone else having issues like this and has procharger done right by you?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you are driving down the road, does you blower flutter? the "bypass" should be connected to a vacuum source to avoid the compressor surge. that can have some bad effects on the blower seals. not sure if you are running a catch can or not. needing some details.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

I am running a Procharger Race valve w/10 lbs of boost. It has a good vacumm source and I am running a filtered catch can and no crank case line to the intake filter area so it is not engine oil. It is also leaking from the charger housing. I does not flutter and stays open while in vacumm. It is mounted near the intake so I can easily see and hear it. I am sure the issue is not the surge valuve. Car is pulling good vacumm.

The engine is an LS2 forged 9:1 stroked 416 dyno 628 rwhp two weeks ago. Actually the P1 is too small for the engine and will upgrade in the future.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something that I encountered after rebuilding my LT1 is that blew oil out the breather. So I had to put a baffle on the inside of the valve cover, and get a breather that had a baffle in it also and that cured my issues.

I talked to a buddy of mine and he said high compression ratio's and forced induction create higher crankcase pressures. Mine is NA right now but only 9.3:1 so he said I must have got the ring gap spot on and got them seated really good. We did cylinder leak down test, checked the valve stem seals, doesnt blow blue smoke out anywhere and nothing show up to be worried about.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just seen your post...its probably the pulley shaft seal or where the two halfs come together. I dont think its the inner one cause then it would be putting it through your motor.

You can upgrade the PS1 to a D1 cheaper than getting a new unit depending how much you wanted to get out of it.

Last edited by Bigtoyz; 06-11-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added more to post
Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Teching In

It's probably both inner and outer since most of the oil in my engine bay is coming out of my Surge valve so it would be oil internal to the blower. The inside of my pipes are covered in oil and I am sure the intercoolers are also loaded up I had to add oil twice while on the Tour. I will be upgrading down the road and "IF" I stay with Procharger I will go with the F1. My motor has a lot of room for boost and was built specifically for high boost. P1 is maxed at 10 lbs on this engine.

Quick Reply: Procharger blowing oil on less than 3,000 mile rebuild