Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ethanol levels changing in winter? really.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ethanol levels changing in winter? really.....

If this would be better served in the fueling section, Mod can feel free to relocate it there. Thanks

I have heard stories about levels of ethanol changing during the colder months. I have called the lubricants hotline, and tech support at shell, and they just get confused, say they will call back and do not. I just want consistency, because without that, things can go haywire without data logging every wot pull.

I figure if this is a true story, then I would like to have multiple tunes stored for the changes. Unfortuntaely I keep getting some foreign guy who has no clue what I am talking about. You would figure they would have answers.

All I have been wanting to find out, is where to mark on my calendar that the change is occuring. Otherwise the tuning will have to be alot safer, or we are going to have to find a way to test the fuel each time. Am I just being nitpicky or is this worth finding out..
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, E doesn't evaporate so well in the cold so they add more gas to help cold start.

Quick Fuel?? among others sells a test kit so you can measure the E/G content.
Just add gas in the summer and E in the winter so you can get consistent ratio.

It was a pita with a carbed 2 stroke motorcycle back when they had summer/winter mtbe blend.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup check this out http://www.e85mustangs.com/regions123.html
Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Turns to E70. A friend of mine has a 2J lexus and that is the reason he went to ProEFI and a flex fuel.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so is it wise to make changes to the tuning considering, or are they tuning to allow for the change in winter. I guess you could add 7 plus 85 and get 155 then divide by two and just tune for the average if possible. BUT that sucks! and sounds like a shitty idea.

i mean im not going super aggressive or anything but I am just wondering if anything critical can occur within the change itself. I told them today, that if they sell it in the winter, and the sign still says E85, then its false advertising....which is totally true wouldn't you agree? But this in no shape or form will detour me from using it for my fuel, I am just seeking to make sure the AFR and timing are right on target and not seeing drastic switches unbeknownst to PCM.

All shell will say, is it switches about a week before winter. And apparently that depends on the weather. Someone over there is making the decisions though, and if I have to I will find out. I would love to have that knowledge.

maybe someone else already has the answer and will chime in. bet some tuner somewhere does fo show. and hey....maybe the e70 signs do come up in your town, but they did not here last year...maybe they just kept the e85 which is fine with me! If i see ice forming on the motor, then I might start worryin lol.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have read a couple times that here in Texas, and maybe Alabama too, there is not a significant change in the fuel since it doesn't really get that cold. I never looked into it past tech tho.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW-I test the fuel. The only thing I care about is when the E85 is actually E85, however, I don't touch my tune. I leave it a little fat so when the percent of ethanol increases to 85% it leans enough for my best performance. I haven't had any issues other than I have recently run a best of 118mph in the 1/8th in my 4000lb chevelle because my AFR is around 11.2. When it is E70 (no sign showing) my AFR is around 10.5 and I run around a 105 mph. I don't bracket race but if I wanted just a consistent blend for racing I would run up to the pump right now and fill a couple 55 gallon drums for racing this summer seeing how it is running the best on this mixture.

Personally, I just wouldn't run it on the ragged edge of tune. With E85 I run low timing, a fairly hot plug and 15lbs of boost. Keeps things safe but still runs like a raped ape! Just my .02

Quick Reply: Ethanol levels changing in winter? really.....