Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Derale 16925 guys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Derale 16925 guys?

I know there are a few guys on here with derale 16925 pushers. Are you guys using them as high/low fans, if so how? Is it an option in the tune? I've got EFI Live but my tuner uses hp tuners. If my tuner didn't use a COS, I'd load my EFI Live tune and mess around with it to find out. I just want to make sure everything's good before I head back down to get it retuned. Coolant temps are perfect with both fans on, but I don't know if they are on high or low. Before I put the derales in I has flex-a-lite pullers that weren't cutting it.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run them on a single speed setting using the high speed temp trigger from the pcm, simplifies wiring. you can run them on a dual speed setting if you replicate the factory 3 relay setup.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

I just found the high speed turn on wire and the low speed turn on wire from my PCM and wired up my own relays. I do not have them wired in series to make both run at a lower speed like the factory fan setup. at idle my car will run cool enough to only need 1 fan running. as my second fan turns on at 180
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run twins through the factory wiring, able to control low and high speeds via the ECM, though, the caddy has 30A per fan circuit stock, so it was simple replacement, drop in.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

While expensive Racetronix makes a really nice plug and play parallel fan harness.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The fans come with their own relay setup. I wired one fan off the factory low speed trigger and than I have both fans turn on the high speed trigger. Works great with their supplied relays.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I'm using the supplied relays which are getting their signal from the stock wiring. One fan from each wire, just like the factory dual fan setup. I haven't been able to mess around with the tune yet to see if the fans work on high/low.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

I am installing these fans now. I am mounting them to the front of my condenser, I know it's not ideal but I also have a Griffen aluminum radiator to help with cooling. I figured with 2200 cfm of flow from each fan that will help out as well. I hope to use the stock wiring to trigger the fan relays like you guys are talking about.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by L92 fox
I am installing these fans now. I am mounting them to the front of my condenser, I know it's not ideal but I also have a Griffen aluminum radiator to help with cooling. I figured with 2200 cfm of flow from each fan that will help out as well. I hope to use the stock wiring to trigger the fan relays like you guys are talking about.
you can use the stock wiring as a trigger for the relays, but dont run them off the stock wiring. too much juice
Old 06-24-2012, 05:03 AM
TECH Regular

Ok thanks. I've read on here a dozen times that doesn't work, I believe you were one of the examples lol.

Btw tally, hurry up and get your car done!!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by L92 fox
Ok thanks. I've read on here a dozen times that doesn't work, I believe you were one of the examples lol.

Btw tally, hurry up and get your car done!!!!
haha trying to man, i think the new motor is pms'ing or is mad at me. putting it together has been a one step forward two steps back type of deal.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM
9 Second Club

wiring help for dummies needed here for my twin derales.... The question is just about where Exactly to tap into for the trigger wires.

ok so.....do i simply take the factory white and blue power wires that plug into the stock fans (that have the connectors on them, after the fuse boxes and factory relays), and just cut and hook those up to the yellow wires on the derale relays for the 12v source (as the triggers for each fan), using the derale red wires for power obviously and then the orange wires out to the fans (with the fuses)?

or do i have to somehow find the wires Before they go into the factory fuse box/relays and cut them there and wire it all in?

And with both setups, just hook up the derale fan ground wires to the factory ground wires post fuse box?

Hopefully the first setup is acceptable as it would make things far easier but i wasn't sure if that would work since i'm almost using 2 relays per fan that way.

thanks a ton for any simplified, well explained answer you can give! lol
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

I love this review I really love it

Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Some one should make a vid to but this question to rest lol
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running my Derales triggered off of the stock harness (high speed only, FAST XFI controlled). I simply used some Metripack connectors and made a plug and play setup, just clipped the factor fan connectors and put the metripack connectors there. Trigger and ground for the relays from the stock harness, plug and play, works like a champ. Though I will say, that pushing through the condensor, the airflow is cut way down through the radiator. I'm running a font mount turbo setup and if I'm leaning on the car at all it starts heating up to the 220's.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
I'm running my Derales triggered off of the stock harness (high speed only, FAST XFI controlled). I simply used some Metripack connectors and made a plug and play setup, just clipped the factor fan connectors and put the metripack connectors there. Trigger and ground for the relays from the stock harness, plug and play, works like a champ. Though I will say, that pushing through the condensor, the airflow is cut way down through the radiator. I'm running a font mount turbo setup and if I'm leaning on the car at all it starts heating up to the 220's.
i'm just pushing air right on the radiator so should be all good. get a few great pm's from tally and has me set in the right direction now.

Tally, you should post that pic you sent as it was very helpful!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 PM
9 Second Club

In case there's any others out there who are wiring challenged and learn more from pics typically lol

just pop out the 3 factory fan relays and plug in the wire from your relay that needs 12v source as the trigger like this (not power of course). fyi, when your fans are triggered they will kick on high only at the same time like this. idk how to set up a parallel series to mimic the low/high factory setup so this i was told was the easiest way.

Thanks to all those who share their knowledge on this site!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
just pop out the 3 factory fan relays and plug in the wire from your relay that needs 12v source as the trigger like this (not power of course).
remember thats the switched ground for the energizer side of the relay, the other one goes to constant 12
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

I know when I had mine come on at the same time I popped fuses. I staggered the temp at which they turn on and the fuses are fine now. I wasn't aware that there was a high/low speed. I have them triggered off of the stock wiring and used the supplied relays.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
remember thats the switched ground for the energizer side of the relay, the other one goes to constant 12
ok so the instructions said...

Red wire goes to the battery (i have them mounted on the post next to the fuse boxes).
Black wire is ground
Orange wire (w/inline fuse) goes to fan power wire
Green wire is optional for a/c
Yellow wire goes to switched 12v source (as pictured)

so is that the correct spot to plug in the yellow 12v switched or did i misunderstand? i'm not all that familiar with this yet but i think i will know much more after this weekend! is the switched 12v actually a ground? i was just assuming it was power.

Quick Reply: Derale 16925 guys?