Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

378 LSx TT Trans Am build ='s Modular/CBR twin kit DYNO results /VIDEO inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 378 LSx TT Trans Am CBR twin kit DYNO results 1026 rwhp!

Complete and dynoed Twin Turbo Trans Am Dyno

Latest Dyno is 1100+ rwhp at 22 lbs through full dual 3" exhaust, air filters in place the works. Full street car. Drives like stock with a/c on and I'm not exaggerating.

I was waiting to get a little further along but I enjoy reading threads with people as they progress so I guess I will add mine...specs as follows

2000 WS6 6 speed

CBR Performance twin kit with Turbonetics Ball Bearing 6165's

Engine basics:
378 cid LSx Iron block
Carrillo rods, CP pistons
317 heads CHS Stage 3 porting
Custom cam 23x/23x .600 lift.
FAST 90 intake NW90 TB

Fuel:
E85
ID2000 Injectors
Custom aluminum fuel tank with twin Magnafuel 4303 pump

Transmission:
Tick Performance Level 5 SuperMagnum TR6060
McLeod Twin

Rearend is a Fab 9" with Strange center section, 35 spline with S-trac.

I bought the car off the show room floor. It had 1 mile on the ODO. I had the motor snatched out by around 3700 miles, forged bottom end, was a solid roller pump gas slobbering beast. Ran 10.90's clutching it and the car is still full weight. 6 point cage and the washer fluid is still what the factory put in it. I pulled the motor and trans 7 years ago (the tag on the car has the '05 sticker) and was going to go with a high compression race gas setup but life got in the way and it went to the back burner. (Got married blah, blah, blah.)

Fast forward to late spring last year I decide I'm going forced induction. So I get myself reaquainted with LS1tech and start reading. This is about when I see this CBR Performance twin kit coming out "soon." Well at first I didn't give it much thought because I'm still reading the stickies and stuff so as not to commit a mistake and ask a question that has been answered to death. Anyway I bought the thing so here is the build.

Here is a pic of the car as it was setting the last 7 years. Very sad. Pretty sure these slicks are dry.

Tick Level 5 transmission. I sold the stock trans and stuff as a swap for someone. I didn't figure it was worth breaking then selling. So I bought the Tick transmission now instead of later.

The power plant

Original water pump and pulley. Notice the paint isn't even wore off.

Car on the lift getting ready to be operated on

Old BMR k-member coming out and yes it's for sale. PM me.

Here is the assembly last weekend. My buddy and I pulled the old BMR K member out, stripped the brake lines, a-arms, and steering rack off and transferred them to the new CBR K-member, put the quick time bell housing on along with the twin disc McLeod, added headers, turbos, and transmission.
I built this engine assembly dolly years back out of an old oil drum stand. It rolls around great with everything on it and makes it a cake walk to put the motor and trans in and out.

I still have 4.56 gears in the rear but 3.55's on the shelf.

Here you see the A2W intercooler mounted and the tank in the hatch is done as well as the wiring and plumbing.

Here we stopped and put the compressor back on. The A/C is still charged.

Bolted in.

I have a completion goal of about 6 weeks just because I know how things go. I'd say 3 weeks but something will come up. So I doubled that and maybe 8 weeks is more real.? Enjoy!

Last edited by 2000RATA; 08-12-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its nice to see someone using the kit!

You work FAST!!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks great! I wish i had that space to work in!!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

That is one Bad to the bone turbo kit!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Looks good, im in... Awaiting videos and Dyno numbers
Old 06-19-2012, 03:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen that kit before!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like a great setup gonna be sick
good luck & keep us posted..

Street/highway beast?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
Its nice to see someone using the kit!

You work FAST!!

I wanted to comment on this ^^^ one friend and myself have spent 4 days so far working on it. I believe 2 or 3 more days and I will be ready for the dyno. Time is money and that's why I bought a "kit" instead of taking the time to build one. Besides that this is the most wicked turbo "system" period, kit, custom or otherwise.

Yes street/highway car. I will take it to the track. I want to see a 9 sec slip.

Last edited by 2000RATA; 06-19-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Looks good,nice to see some low mileage cars
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got more work done this weekend. Worked a full day on it again. Got the piping mounted and all tightened up. Put the belts back on and did a few odds and ends. Everything turbo wise is done save for the charge pipe being hooked up. My stupid powersteering cooler is leaking ps fluid into the engine coolant side. I just noticed it had oil in it and pressure tested it today to confirm my fear. So I'm waiting on another one before I put the charge pipe on.

Couple more pics for the curious.

Last edited by 2000RATA; 06-25-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

That is a nice project! crazy low miles. Nice C-10 too.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
That is a nice project! crazy low miles. Nice C-10 too.
Thank you. It's a '72 I did a frame off on about 10 years ago. First big project I ever tackled. Took 4 years.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

My first project/vehicle was a 71 longbed when I was 14. Spent 4 years on it too and hated my guts ever since for selling it when I was 18.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Looks like when you say LSX block your meaning truck block? What bore and stroke? You need to get out and enjoy this thing when it's done, put some miles on it. It's a nice car.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it's a 6.0 block. And thank you. I do plan on enjoying it more now. The solid roller setup is not street cool. I mean it will drive and all but 300#'s of spring seat pressure is just not "streetable." Cylinder heads is my business and I know better than to run that on the street.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally, someone using this kit on something other then a stock LS1. Really nice car, awesome turbo kit and great looking shop to work in.

Look forward to updates.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Finally, someone using this kit on something other then a stock LS1. Really nice car, awesome turbo kit and great looking shop to work in.

Look forward to updates.
Thank you. The shop took 1 year to build. Myself and 1 friend and sometimes 2 friends did everything except the concrete. Wiring and all. Nothing got done that year but the building. Now the friend who helped me is building one and I got pay up. Gonna be a hot Summer.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and I did do some little stuff today. Hooked up the brake lines, put a spindle back on, started pulling the fuel tank and lines out. The little stuff is gonna take the longest. I will get more pics in a couple day.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I have worked on the car here and there. A total of about 2 more days worth. Got some more pics of stuff so here you go.

I thought this was something worth a shot this is a shot of my carpet. The original carpet protectant is still in all 4 floor areas. I might take it out now.

Installed gauges

This doesn't look like much but it represents my guarantee that I will NOT have overheating problems. Unmolested fans, radiator, and air ducting. This alone should sell this kit.

And a shot of my membership card. Welcoming me to the "club."

And a shot of the motor as it sets tonight.

A shot of the fuel rails and regualtor
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I will update this for the crickets. Things have been going kinda slow on the car. I have been busy with work and family stuff. I now have ALL the fittings, hose, and things needed to finish the fuel system completely. I won't be able to work on the car this weekend but next weekend I have a friend who will be ready to hit it next weekend. We plan to make a big push to finish this. Then I will have only to change the gears which are already here and I do gear changes so it just a matter of doing it. On to the pics!

Here is a pics of the difference in the fuel injectors. The one of the right is an SVO Ford 30#. Left the ID2000

Here is a pic of the difference in the connectors.

Here is where I crimped the new pins on the injector wires for the new connectors. I didn't want an adapter harness and I have the tool to crimp these just like the factory.

And the new plugs complete.

Here I put the Kurt Urban water vapor collection system on. I made the bracket and changed the outlet to a -6AN (was a -4AN) and ran it to the radiator just like the factory and used the factory clamp on it. I ran the outlet back towards the firewall to make a loop. I thought it would look better than coming out straight and down. These lines supplied with the kit allow very little movement so getting the "manifold" to stand up straight was impossible because the fitting that I had to use to take it back to the radiator.

That's it for now.

Quick Reply: 378 LSx TT Trans Am build ='s Modular/CBR twin kit DYNO results /VIDEO inside