Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

meth or intercooler with e85

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default meth or intercooler with e85

I'm trying to decide what to do... I'm running a rear mount set up on my 6.0l truck using e85 and an eBay GT45 turbo. The last time out cruising intake temps were 100F and after a good pull they were at 150F with ambient temps in the upper 60s. The boost is set a 5.5lbs right now but will be up at 10psi when I get the IAT's down.
I was thinking of just spraying meth before the TB and getting temps down that way, plus it would relieve the fuel system a little, maybe. Only down side I can see is having to make sure not to run out of meth and having some more electrical to run.
I could run air to air intercooler but I read they work best on the street and don't help a whole lot at the track ? I would have to add more cold piping and lengthen the already long cold side but would always be "on" and never have to worry about it going dry.
Another option I'm considering is a water to air intercooler. This would keep my intake piping shorter and would really work nice at the track with an ice box but I read they don't work that well on the street. Not sure why it wouldn't work well on the street with a big enough heat exchanger though ?

Please let me know what you guys think, I can see disadvantages and advantages to each so its kind of a hard decision.
Thanks.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion is if it's strictly a track car then run meth. If you drive it around on the street as a cruiser then do an IC. If it's a bit of both then do the IC and monitor your IAT's. If they are not where you would like them then run meth although e85 tends to be so damn knock and detonation resistant you might not have the need for meth.

My IAT's are not a worry and I'm running an IC and e85. This is a front mount where under hood temps are a much bigger issue.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out BlackWs666's GT-55-94 build thread. he;s runnin that huge turbo without meth or an IC.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

E85 is pretty knock resistant. I run meth on my street car. Never been to the track. Its worth it for the extra 11-12PSI of boost I get. I don't have E85 around my area.

Nix

Quick Reply: meth or intercooler with e85