Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

RedRocket's 01 Z28 build - S480, Tick Cam, SBE LQ4, 4L80E, E85

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
Thanks for the intel. This has been a great thread watching your car evolve.
You're welcome. At least someone is finding the thread informative and worthwhile, haha.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How should I trim this?

Name:  4B048CE5-C656-4DC6-90BA-C31D1ED8A1F1_zpswxsrngtm.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  84.6 KB
Name:  168D1F5F-5133-48FF-B831-2D47C43F43D6_zpsxwiclri0.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  73.9 KB

IMO, trim it down so you have about 1/2" of the pipe sticking out, and smooth the edges of the cut. Then polish it so it'll look nice and be easier the clean, or if you prefer the dull brushed finish then look go over it really good with a green scotch brite pad.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 04-22-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good man! Looking forward to seeing some numbers from this setup!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, trim it down so you have about 1/2" of the pipe sticking out, and smooth the edges of the cut. Then polish it so it'll look nice and be easier the clean, or if you prefer the dull brushed finish then look go over it really good with a green scotch brite pad.
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. I painted the whole thing in high temp paint and wrapped it before final install so it's black now. The DP shifted a bit for some reason and is rubbing on the top of the ring. Will have to figure something out there.

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
Looking good man! Looking forward to seeing some numbers from this setup!
Thanks man. Looking forward to seeing yours as well.

I took my wastegates off yesterday. They had the "big" springs in them...my bad. Hopefully this will the old boost level a bit and allow me to run the 9-10 lbs. I want with the controller off. Haven't driven it yet since it was raining all day yesterday, but will get some seat time tonight.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:37 AM
9 Second Club

Well, got the car on the dyno this weekend for some tuning via Ryan Mitchell (MaxxMitchell). He came up on Saturday to tune a few other local cars as well. Anyway, the final numbers were 727 rwhp on 18-19 lbs. The torque on this run showed 696 but I know that wasn't right. There was a spike on the dyno graph. Not sure if it lost signal for a second during the run or what.

Although I know not to base anything off of dyno numbers, I can't help but to say I was a little disappointed. I figured it would make 750+ pretty easily with this turbo, as well did Ryan. He said that the converter is way too loose now though. I was sitting in the car when it was on the dyno and the converter would flash to 5600 and obviously hold there forever until it got caught up to. I assume this could play a huge factor in actual dyno numbers. I was pretty upset when it made the same power on lower boost numbers as it did with the Turbonetics 7875. The good news is that it keeps making power all the way to 6 grand when we let off. No more dropping power off at 5500. I knew the converter was loose last year as well but it ran well for what it was. This year I put more power to it, dropped to a 3.00 gear as well, so it has to be slipping more.

Anyway, I am going to run it at the track and see what it does. If it doesn't produce the times I think it should, then I will send the converter out to get it tightened up. Anyone have any thoughts on the whole deal? It absolutely rips on the street though. It will bust the Mickey's loose from a roll very easily. Easier than it did before for sure. I am also happy that the bottom end is still together!

I have a buddy who got a video of it that I will try to get posted soon.

Here's a quick run that Ryan did with a local buddy and his Cobra. The Cobra is a single Turbonetics 7675 with an auto that made 819 rwhp on a local dyno. I did a couple of pulls with the Cobra on the interstate and I pulled away from him on the first race. The second run he jumped the start but from my view I was pulling back on him. Both races my boost controller cut boost around 18 psi as that is what Ryan set it to do.

Last edited by RedRocketZ28; 05-12-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 AM
9 Second Club

What are the odds this filter is hurting power some?

I plan on running the car at the local 1/8th mile track on the 31st. Will do a pass with it on then take it off to see what happens.

Got a new tensioner from a seller on eBay. It's a nice piece that Ryan told me about. Had a problem with the belt walking off on the dyno. Hopefully this solves the issue.

Name:  8CBDCBD0-CCAD-4CBD-A2A4-FE1CFC3DFEDF_zpsfntgpmvg.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  92.6 KB

My torque arm should be here today. Hopefully I can tame down the vibration I currently have.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

That filter does not look happy. I would bet youll see a nice bump in power.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
That filter does not look happy. I would bet youll see a nice bump in power.
Yeah, about that. I had to get a little nasty with it to get it in there, haha. Wasn't about to pull the turbo just to put it on. Wasn't really thinking ahead but I didn't have the filter until after the car was done. If it picks up power without the filter, which I have seen numerous people state that theirs did, then I will also try to make a CAI of sorts to be able to run a larger filter.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Yeah, about that. I had to get a little nasty with it to get it in there, haha. Wasn't about to pull the turbo just to put it on. Wasn't really thinking ahead but I didn't have the filter until after the car was done. If it picks up power without the filter, which I have seen numerous people state that theirs did, then I will also try to make a CAI of sorts to be able to run a larger filter.
I know screens are generally bad for flow but it might be better than that filter if you choose to run anything. There are also some circular ones out there. Ive seen em on Supra's and what not but its just food for thought.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about the dyno numbers. You have a good plan. Go to the track see how it does and tighten the converter if you need to. That air filter does look small. You make good power now and its only going to go up from here.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on running the car at the local 1/8th mile track on the 31st. Will do a pass with it on then take it off to see what happens.
I imagine they will be having some conversations with people about "safety" . lol
Old 05-17-2014, 11:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
I imagine they will be having some conversations with people about "safety" . lol
If that's the case just take it to CFR.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
If that's the case just take it to CFR.
Yeah, except they told me to "turn off the bottle and slow down" when I was running low 11s on motor last year.

But then a few months later I making 10.2x passes and no one said anything! Should have a cage this year, so tech shouldn't be a problem... at least later this summer....

I got booted from the track 3 times last year for running too fast! sucks to pay and make 1 pass..
Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
Yeah, except they told me to "turn off the bottle and slow down" when I was running low 11s on motor last year.

But then a few months later I making 10.2x passes and no one said anything! Should have a cage this year, so tech shouldn't be a problem... at least later this summer....

I got booted from the track 3 times last year for running too fast! sucks to pay and make 1 pass..
Interesting. Guess I've been lucky then. I haven't heard of anyone they told to slow it down yet. Last year when I was there they would ask "how fast is it" and I'd tell them last time it ran 11's (which is true for the first few passes on low boost leaving slow). I'd run 11's for the first few passes then turn it up. They never said anything to me.

Last weekend when I went through tech he asked the same question... I gave the same answer. Then he informed me "you know if it goes 11.50 or faster you need to get a 5 point harness and a roll cage." I just said "oh, okay" and did the same thing as last year. lol

I was worried that with the change of ownership they might get a little tighter on the rules, but there was no sign of that last Saturday! Besides that though I thought they had switched to IHRA in which case the rule would be 10.99 or faster, but I wasn't about to let on that I had done any research. hahaha
Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

Some of you may or may not have seen my issue with my car running lean here recently. I have tried almost everything I (and from the help others) can think of. Anyway, the AFR's are dialed in on 9-10 lbs., so what was the logical thing to do? Take it to the track...ha. A local shop (Karl's Performance) had a track day at the local 1/8th mile Saturday and I really wanted to run the car. Against my better judgment I drove the car there and it made it down the track for 6 passes, then drove home in pouring rain.

Anyway, the best pass of the day came from a buddy of mine. He actually made 4 of the 6 passes that day, lol. Leaving on 1 psi, and running 9-10 down the track, it went 6.8 @ 109.5 with a 1.66 60'. It was fairly hot out, mid-upper 80's, and DA was over 3000 ft. Needless to say, the conditions were not ideal. I was a little disappointed with it, but can't complain too much. The best 1/8th mile pass last year was 6.5 @ 112 with a 1.52 60' on 14 psi. I was able to leave on 4-5 psi last year. I think once I figure out the fueling issue and can start having the turbo actually feel like it's working it should run pretty good. Hoping to get it to trap 115+ in the 1/8th and mid 140's in the quarter which I think is very obtainable.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

So did you ever figure out the leaning out issues?
Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
So did you ever figure out the leaning out issues?
Nope. It's flowing enough fuel at the lower boost levels to keep the AFR's pretty close. I plan on messing with it this weekend to try and figure out the issue.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Well, after figuring out my fueling issue, I have been beating on it pretty good. Beater Bomb (Joey) was working at Iowa State's campus for a few weeks. He brought the Mustang over last week and we had some fun on Wednesday night. He jumped a bit in our race but obviously was pulling on me. I am surprised my car hooked like it did on the street. It had no timing in it down low and 180 lbs. in the trunk for ballast. Beater ran a 6.1 at our local 1/8th mile track on Friday. The Cobra has been 9.8 @ 139.

Like I mentioned, we went to the local 1/8th mile on Friday. I got one pass in before they told me to go home. It was a blistering 7.1 @ 102 on 10 lbs. Not sure why it ran so slow. The 60' was 1.77 which is horrible. I can't leave in boost at all. My buddy wired up a MSD 2 step I borrowed from a buddy after I got kicked from the track. I can now build over 6 lbs. sitting on the 2 step for a few seconds. Should be able to cut a better 60' at the track next time.

I am still concerned with how slow the car went on 10 lbs. though. It went 7.0 @ 107 last year on 10 lbs. with the 7875, 3.23 10 bolt, through full exhaust, and shifting the 1-2 at 5200 rpm since I wasn't WOT until 2nd gear. Previously this year the car went 6.80 @ 109.5 on the same boost on a hotter day but with a 1.66 60'. I think it is a combination of the 3.00 gear, and the fact I cannot build boost on the footbrake this year. Next track trip will be to the 1/4 and I will work on getting it out of the hole before I run it full out.

Hate to say it, but I am kicking myself for changing anything on the car. I should have kept the 7875 setup on it and ran it turned up more. Last year the car just worked, and seemed to work well on the smaller turbo. Oh well I suppose. Hopefully I can get some things ironed out.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to say it, but I am kicking myself for changing anything on the car. I should have kept the 7875 setup on it and ran it turned up more. Last year the car just worked, and seemed to work well on the smaller turbo. Oh well I suppose. Hopefully I can get some things ironed out.
Thats a tough feeling to deal with, I haven't wanted to touch mine in the past 2 years cus it was just so problem free and fun to drive. Now im tearing back into it and im afraid its just gonna be a bunch of problems, we'll see.

Keep at it though, you have the right parts! Just keep tweaking and experimenting and you'll get it all sorted out.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Thats a tough feeling to deal with, I haven't wanted to touch mine in the past 2 years cus it was just so problem free and fun to drive. Now im tearing back into it and im afraid its just gonna be a bunch of problems, we'll see.

Keep at it though, you have the right parts! Just keep tweaking and experimenting and you'll get it all sorted out.
Thanks man. I have to LOL at the right parts though. Stock bottom end and a stock 4L80E, ha. I agree though, just need to keep at it and get some more seat time. Good thing about the 1/4 mile track is that they will let you run it out to the 1/8th if they tell you to slow down. I can get some good testing in there.

Contemplating putting 3.25's back in it too. We will see what happens.

Quick Reply: RedRocket's 01 Z28 build - S480, Tick Cam, SBE LQ4, 4L80E, E85