Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Simple LS Swap Gone Awry (370/LS3 heads/PT88)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very clean work. I do have a little advice for you.

First, that's way more cam than you can ever use with that combo. So basically you are giving up spool and torque for top end that you can't hit with that exh housing on that turbo.

Second, you will either need a second one of those wastegates or you will need to buy one larger one. I recommend a 60mm.

Lastly, those 60# injectors aren't going to get you very far. You'll want atleast 80's for gas and 120's for E85.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great man, congrats!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Launching!

I like it!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Very clean work. I do have a little advice for you.

First, that's way more cam than you can ever use with that combo. So basically you are giving up spool and torque for top end that you can't hit with that exh housing on that turbo.

Second, you will either need a second one of those wastegates or you will need to buy one larger one. I recommend a 60mm.

Lastly, those 60# injectors aren't going to get you very far. You'll want atleast 80's for gas and 120's for E85.
Thanks for the advice. I know the cam is on the large side for the setup, and really not even for a turbo, but seeing other turbo guys use it and it working for them was one of the reasons I picked it. The other reason is that there aren't many turbo cams that idle like this one. At least you'll be able to hear this cam. I know that's not a real good reason, but I did do some research and found quite a few others that were happy with this cam in their turbo setup so that is what I decided to pick up when I found it in the classifieds.

For the wastegate I'm going to try it and see what happens. If it can't keep up I'll do something different, but for now I'm just going to see what happens. The injectors are another thing I want to just see what they can do. I would like to just max them out for now and run them (unless for some reason it makes more power on them than it should). Eventually I will swap them to something that can keep up and run e85 if it's still around for a halfway decent price.

At this point whatever power it does make will be enough to scatter some parts. I'll be happy with that for a while I'm sure.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Very killer. Alot of the exact same stuff I had in mind for my LQ4.

What are your power goals? And what is the car destined for? Street?

What all did you do the trans, i was thinking 4l80 too?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by K STYLEZ
Very killer. Alot of the exact same stuff I had in mind for my LQ4.

What are your power goals? And what is the car destined for? Street?

What all did you do the trans, i was thinking 4l80 too?
Thanks. Not really setting goals because I don't want to be disappointed. lol If it makes between 650 and 700 I'd definitely be happy, but only time will tell. The car will be a street car mostly. Might go to the track two or three times a year if I'm lucky. The transmission is just a stock rebuild with a shift kit.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice man... Im starting my build next weekend when i have some time off.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well when you get ready for injectors call Jon or Cole @ Fuel Injector Connection.

You can grab a deal on some 1000's or a set of 127's. just depends on what your goals turn into
Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
8 Second Club

Redid the crossover pipe and it turned out awesome! Brought the turbo up 5.5” from where it was before which should really help with the draining. Fits like a glove now!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice build! I hate that the factory never clear coated the engine compartment.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

looking good... how hard was it to fit / cut in the radiator like that? Im doing that to mine soon.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

I cant go on any site without seeing this thing. good thing its easy to look at. keep up the good work.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
looking good... how hard was it to fit / cut in the radiator like that? Im doing that to mine soon.
Wasn't bad. Cut out the triangular shaped section below to start with. I knew I wanted to have the radiator cap in where it is and decided the radiator had to come forward more than it could with the stock metal there so my dad cut a piece of metal off of a cab corner that was curved just the right way to let the radiator out a little farther. He also made a strap in the back to let the overflow tube have some room in there. I will see what I can find for pictures that I took along the way for you.

Originally Posted by 98BuickGS
I cant go on any site without seeing this thing. good thing its easy to look at. keep up the good work.
Eh, well... Figured I'd spread the goodness. lol
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM
8 Second Club

Finally got the downpipe done. 4” with the stock K member wasn’t so bad…

It really helps when you get the bulky stock motor mount out of the way though!

Sent off the manifolds to get them coated today. Should have everything else welded up and ready to wrap soon. The goal is to be able to start it by the 22nd... maybe!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:49 AM
8 Second Club

Got the car to the point where I thought I could start it tonight... It'll turn over and build oil pressure just fine, but there is no spark and the injectors aren't sending any fuel in. I have fuel at the rails for sure. Pressure gauge shows 60 psi on the regulator after the rails. On the harness nothing was changed for injectors or the coils so I would like to rule modification out, but I'm not absolutely positive that I didn't miss something somehow because I know it is possible.

Grounds were all checked, fuses are good, and I'm not sure what else to check... Does anyone know if the body harness has to be modified to go from LT to LS? From the research I did I thought that could be left alone, but do I need to do something different to get power to the coils and injectors? I know my car doesn't have all of the fuses and relays that a stock LS car has. Is that part of the problem?

I thought maybe VATS had something to do with it, but the PCM shows it is disabled so I am pretty sure that is ruled out.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Captain Double Post

I wouldnt worry to much about the cams, there are alot of cams that work well with boost that arent made for it, yes a boost cam is better but you should be more than happy with it, hey its gotta sound as good as it runs right?lol, nice build cant wait to see some vids of it rolling out,good move on the swap,that thing will scare the crap out of you for the first few weeks lol
Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

this might sound stupid, but make sure you plugged in the 4-5 connectors that come through the firewall at the passenger foot well. i did a big build in my old lt1 car, and didnt get to start it that night because all it would do was crank. i literally WOKE UP at 7am with the realization of what i had not plugged in. went and plugged it in and boom fired right up!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 PM
8 Second Club

Got it fired. Figured out that when I modified the harness I did not move a wire for the coil power from one connector to the other. Fixed that and it fired off. Now it runs! You couldn't wipe the grin off of my face. lol Sorry about the jumpy camera... I was too excited that it was running to try to be smooth.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats looks good ull love that turbo
Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

its alive!!

Quick Reply: Simple LS Swap Gone Awry (370/LS3 heads/PT88)