Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to: Adding Idler Pulley to Modular Turbo Alt Relocation Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How to: Adding Idler Pulley to Modular Turbo Alt Relocation Bracket

Hey guys, I added my stock idler pulley to the Modulsr turbo bracket. They make the best relocation kit in my opinion, but it leaves a lot of belt length unsupported. Even fully tightened with the proper belt length and proper belt preload, it would still wobble and touch my thermostat housing at WOT.

Here's what I did to fix that:

First I removed the idler bracket and pulley. Take off the pulley, and then cut of the mounting tab for the pulley (you will use the tab, so dont mess it up) The bracket should look like this when its done:

Then I smoothed out the little mounting tab, and measured the distance between the modular bracket, and where the back of the pulley needed to be to line up w/ the belt. I used a belt sander to get the proper length, and to make sure it was perfectly flat.

I had to buy a longer bolt to accomodate the pulley, I think it needed to be about 25mm longer. (kinda guessing on that, i dont remember)

This is what it looks like all finished. There is plenty of clearance between the other bolt heads and the pulley. I still am using the same belt, but now I dont have to adjust the Alt so far to get the belt tight. No more belt movement either!

You could also make the spacer on a lathe easily, but this was free and easy!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To clarify, I no longer use an idler on the drivers side. You could if you wanted, youd just need a longer belt, and a spare bracket & pulley (or just make the spacer instead and buy a spare pulley)

Quick Reply: How to: Adding Idler Pulley to Modular Turbo Alt Relocation Bracket