Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2000 SS APS Engine build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 SS APS Engine build questions

I am finally getting around to installing my APS kit after what seems like forever. I pulled the car into the shop and took the intake and cam out. Im going with a victor jr. with the a 6061 elbow 102 TB and 80# SD injectors with eldebrock rails. I picked up a comp. 610/601 224/224@50 cam with a 114 LSA. I am pulling the heads to change the lifters and trays.

Do i put the 853 heads back on with graphite gaskets or go with 317 with mls's? Will the drop in compression be worth it for extra flow? I have the heads already so it is a matter of a valve job and the springs will be the same for either head. I have a set of arp studs i will be putting on as well. Head gasket recommendions are welcome.

What oil pump would be good to run? Stock replacement or high volume to feed the turbos?

I know about the turbos being giant pyles. I just want to square the engine away and upgrade the turbos down the road. I plan on running 7-8 psi. The car is on the street but make frequent trips down the track.

Any advice will be great. If there is something else i am missing please let me know. I have the car apart so now is the time.

Last edited by Nick Balk; 08-11-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go 317's with ls9 MLS head gaskets.
It's not just for more flow the drop in compression will give you a better margin of safety.

It's best for the turbos to get a oil scavenge pump, but if your just using the 20g turbos that came with the kit, they might last without it, but if you plan to upgrade to something that will need it later (lg or dkt ball bearing precisions) you might think about doin it now.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done this install 2 or 3 times. Pm me if you have any questions at all. I had my aps kit with the new pro-flo xt manifold. It was pretty nice.

Quick Reply: 2000 SS APS Engine build questions