Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vacuum/boost line routing

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vacuum/boost line routing

When plumbing the vacuum/boost system, I have read that it is best to not share lines. But both my boost gauge and electronic boost controller are in the cab. Can I run a single line into the cab for both the boost controller and boost gauge? I plan on putting my BOV on it's own line. And then the wastegate needs a pressure only line, probably from the compressor housing or somewhere in the charge piping close to the TB for more accuracy.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U should be fine. Its no different from running a manifold block.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Yes - boost gauge and controller can share the same line. Connect directly to manifold.
BOV - dedicated source. Connect just after TB
Wastegate source - connect to compressor cover or somewhere pre-TB and ideally pre IC.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty Staggs
Yes - boost gauge and controller can share the same line. Connect directly to manifold.
BOV - dedicated source. Connect just after TB
Wastegate source - connect to compressor cover or somewhere pre-TB and ideally pre IC.
Why wastegate to pre-IC? Shouldn't it be as close to the manifold as possible so it's seeing the same pressure that the engine is seeing? I will be using an electronic boost controller too.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Why wastegate to pre-IC? Shouldn't it be as close to the manifold as possible so it's seeing the same pressure that the engine is seeing? I will be using an electronic boost controller too.
Because of the pressure drop across the IC and all of the intake tubing.
The boost at the turbos is almost always different than the boost at the intake manifold. At the end of the day, what really matters is what the motor is actually receiving (at the manifold).

Remember that a wastegate is simply a back-pressure regulator.
The boost control it provides is a byproduct of regulation of the exhaust gas flow which then also controls the shaft speed of the turbo.

Because of this. there is a delay in the amount of boost climb and drop when the source for the gates is farther away from the turbo.

Later, I will post up a perfect dyno plot that shows what is happening at the turbo versus what is happening at the motor (the dyno MAP sensor was connected at the turbo instead of at the manifold).
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, I always thought it best to connect to the manifold.

Quick Reply: Vacuum/boost line routing