Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Major oil in intake piping.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major oil in intake piping.

I have a jy 5.3, with 130k, and I'm using the catch can setup diagramed in the thread below. There is a lot of oil getting into the intake piping. I pulled the hose off of the ps valve cover going to the turbo, and hooked it to my catch can, and after 30 miles, the can was half full of oil. Is there some other way to run this, so I don't get as much oil. I do have an LS6 valley cover if I need to use it, Thanks
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-gurus.html
Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm by no means a turbo guru, but I personally would not run a hose directly from valve cover to turbo inlet, it would only suck in the oil from the valve cover, and that's the reason why you're getting all that oil in the charge pipe. I would vent both valve covers and use the ls6 valley cover and vent them all together into your vented catch can, and just plug the tube (passenger side) on the throttle body. There would always be some amount of smoke/mist, as long as it's not excessive. Now, if your catch can has a inlet and outlet, you could connect the outlet into the turbo's inlet like you had before just so, to lessen the smoke/mist that's coming out of the vent from your catch can, this is... assuming that your rings are still sealing within the acceptable range according to your rescent compression test or leak down test. Well, I'm sure this is clear as mud.

Last edited by Boo"SS"t; 09-02-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the engine over, it may have problems with blow by. I run both valve covers to my turbo inlet and the LS6 cover for my PCV valve. This has worked well for 150,000 miles with boost.

Kurt
Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said...I'm no turbo guru. So, listen to that guy...^^^^^...and just ignore what I said.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Make sure anything connected to your crankcase isn't connected to any boost source without a checkvalve. Sounds like you are boosting the crankcase. I doubt you could have that much blowby, lol
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my car both valve covers were T'd and ran directly to the turbo inlet as the vacuum source. Running 20psi it was sucking crazy amounts of oil out of the valve covers and through the cold side. Only solution for me was to run both valve covers with 3/8 hose to a breather catch can or run breathers directly on the valve covers.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Teching In

All this oil is coming out of the valve cover, without any boost, all under 3k rpm. So I guess it's time to invest in a leakdown kit, or get the other 5.3 I have reserved, and see what kind of shape it's in. After all they both cost me $500.00, or a junky 91 explorer. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Major oil in intake piping.