Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Picked up a used meth injection kit - Have a few questions

Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Picked up a used meth injection kit - Have a few questions

So I got a good deal on a used Snow Stage 2 water/meth injection setup. Unfortunately, with my intercooler and fan arrangement, I wont have room to use the stock washer fluid reservoir (not happy about it). So I will be mounting the tank in the rear. I will be running 50/50 water meth. My questions are:

1. I wanted to mount the pump on either the drivers or passengers frame rail near the horn or cruise module. Any problems with the pump here and the reservoir in the rear?
2. Should I route the line through the cabin or under the car? Through the cabin would be easiest. Since I am running a 50/50 mix (basically washer fluid), I wont be as concerned about flammable fluids in the car.
3. The instructions state that the tank must be mounted above the pump. Im assuming this is to prevent air pockets in the lines. If my pump is located my the engine, I will have roughly 10-12 ft of tubing making the journey up front. If routed through the cabin, the lines will probably travel higher than the tank, creating a potential air pocket. Is this something or worry about?
4. Should I run a check valve to prevent flow reversion when the pump isnt running? This may help to prevent or lessen my air pocket issue mentioned previously. Where would I find said check valve?
5. How do I know which size nozzle came with the kit? I didnt see any markings on it. In looking at the chart provided, the flow values dont match any of the nozzle flow values I see for sale. What would be a good nozzle starting point for a max of ~ 600/650 whp?
6. Lastly, what would be a good starting point for on/full settings? 4psi on, 8 psi full?

Sorry for all of the questions. Im a total newb when it comes to meth injection. Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Teching In

i have a snowperformace kit also installed. luckily i was able to install the reservoir on the firewall since i remove my heater box and smoothed out the firewall. if you cant mount the large reservoirin the engine compnt, mount it in the rear and try to install a smaller reservoir in the engine compartment. even if its the size of a coke can....this will prevent the pump in the kit from sucking air. find a small inline pump and install that in the line between the large reservoir in the back and the small reservoir in the front... this way you keep that reservoir full all the time. have the inline pump switch on with the same trigger that arms the pump under boost.

i highly recommend you add a solenoid between the pump and the nossle. this will prevent your fluid from leaking into the intake charge when you depress the gas pedal under vaccum. install the solenoid as close to the nossle as possible.

the same trigger that turns the pump on, should arm the solenoid. the solenoid is available from snowperformance for around $50.

one last thing, make sure your iat sensor gets placed behind the nossle. this way your ecm will know the drop in intake temp and will regulate a/r and timing accordingly. in other words it will make more power.

i have a twin gt35r garrets on a stock 6L lq4 making 600+hp at 8 psi with zero detonation with this exact setup.

use pure methanol and water, do not use washer fluid. the soap in the washer fluid will clog your pump.

i used the smallest nossle in the kit... my tuner asked me if i could install something smaller so the smallest nossle will suffice.

hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Schmitt Tuning
i have a snowperformace kit also installed. luckily i was able to install the reservoir on the firewall since i remove my heater box and smoothed out the firewall. if you cant mount the large reservoirin the engine compnt, mount it in the rear and try to install a smaller reservoir in the engine compartment. even if its the size of a coke can....this will prevent the pump in the kit from sucking air. find a small inline pump and install that in the line between the large reservoir in the back and the small reservoir in the front... this way you keep that reservoir full all the time. have the inline pump switch on with the same trigger that arms the pump under boost.

i highly recommend you add a solenoid between the pump and the nossle. this will prevent your fluid from leaking into the intake charge when you depress the gas pedal under vaccum. install the solenoid as close to the nossle as possible.

the same trigger that turns the pump on, should arm the solenoid. the solenoid is available from snowperformance for around $50.

one last thing, make sure your iat sensor gets placed behind the nossle. this way your ecm will know the drop in intake temp and will regulate a/r and timing accordingly. in other words it will make more power.

i have a twin gt35r garrets on a stock 6L lq4 making 600+hp at 8 psi with zero detonation with this exact setup.

use pure methanol and water, do not use washer fluid. the soap in the washer fluid will clog your pump.

i used the smallest nossle in the kit... my tuner asked me if i could install something smaller so the smallest nossle will suffice.

hope this helps.

You buy the washer fluid without the soap in it. That is what I do and it works perfect.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Teching In

then you are all set!!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would mount the pump closer to the tank since the line feeding the pump is gravity fed, but the line from the pump to the nozzle is pressurized. So the chances of getting a disturbance in the line from the trunk to the engine bay is reduced if you have a pressurize line versus a gravity fed line.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

All good input. I had a few minutes to look at it on my lunch break. It appears that I may have room to squeeze the supplied (not stock) tank in between the radiator and intercooler. Im gonna give it a shot. That will allow me to mount the tank within a foot of the pump, and above it.

Are others using the shut-off solenoid? Is it worth the 52 bucks plus shipping?

Any input on the nozzle or on/full settings? Thanks again
Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

are you going to tune the spark advance advance to depend on the meth - or use it for just lowering the air temps ?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to tune up to my gate pressure without the methanol. Im wiring a boost solenoid to the ground port of the controller. In case of a failure, the wastegate will vent back to the gate pressure until I can fix the problem. Im just using the methanol as a safety not for this stock 5.3. Not looking to get too crazy with it.

BTW, I ended up having to ditch the Snow kit. I didnt realize when I bought it that it was a MAF unit. Since i'm not running a MAF, it did me no good. Picked up an AEM kit on amazon as its replacement.

Last edited by Strokinit383; 09-18-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picked up a used meth injection kit - Have a few questions