Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ls1 turbo build ?, where to spend money

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 turbo build ?, where to spend money

Question about a turbo build. When building a turbo ls1 on a "budget", where is the best place to spend your money? Assuming a quality turbo, bov, etc, would it be better to keep the buy 243 heads and just rods and pistons with stock crank, or leave the stock heads and buy a full forged rotating assembly. Would It be better to use a 383 rotating kit? Would it be better to use the stock cam or stock heads with a turbo cam?

Help me please! Lol
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Probably on your transmission/rear to handle the power, and when you say budget give us a general figure of what you want to spend? Stock Bottom end can typically handle 500rwhp
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, should have mentioned that. I know rear and trans (M6) will be part of it but I was keeping that seperate. I know fuel system will need upgraded to but I'm just looking for engine info.
Engine currently has 105k and runs great. Ill be getting a good quality front mount turbo kit with all the components. I don't have a set budget, just need to keep price lower to keep the wife and my wallet happier. Shooting for 500ish reliable and streetable rwhp.
Basically, what is the best order for bang for the buck on a budget.
1. Rods pistons
2. Heads
3. 383 rotating
4. Turbo spec cam
Etc

Opinions?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

On a budget then look at the huron speed kit its the most bolt on type of kit I've seen, minimal modification needed and probably one of the cheapest kits, also if you want to cut costs even more would you sell the ls1 and use a 5.3? The rotating assy is typically good on these engines and I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you want a stout build from the start, a lot of people use ls6 cams and stock truck heads and make great power. So really I would hold out on the rotating assembly inuntilt'l it grenades then go 383?

Quick Reply: Ls1 turbo build ?, where to spend money