Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Silverado---Stock 4.3 to Turbo 6.0---Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado---Stock 4.3 to Turbo 6.0---Need Advice

Hey guys,

I'm trying to gather info on parts selection for my truck. It's a bone stock 2006 RCSB Silverado with a 4.3 V6 currently residing under the hood. Nothing wrong with it, I just want more power. I'm pulling the 80k mile 07 LQ4 out of my Camaro since I may possibly part the car out to build my truck.

I'm thinking I want to build a 370 with LS3 heads, LS3 Intake, LS9 cam, etc... basically use as many GM parts as possible, not only to keep price down, but to also maximize reliability.

I've done a little research and this is the parts combo for the engine I've come up with

-07 LQ4 Block bored .030 over
-Stock Crankshaft
-Stock Rods
-Forged Pistons around a -15cc dish (not sure on brand)
-ARP Hardware (Rod bolts, Main studs, and Head studs)
-LS3 Heads (Upgraded valve springs)
-LS3 Intake/TB/Aftermarket Rails
-LS9 Cam
-LS7 Lifters
-LS9 Head Gaskets
-New Push-rods
-Bigger Fuel Injectors

From what I've read, that should be a pretty solid combo for the engine. The turbo side is what I'm worried about. I have a good idea about what is needed for a turbo setup, but turbo selection confuses me a bit.

I've seen where folks have pretty good luck with the S475s, and I know Borg Warner makes good products, so from my research I'm leaning toward this one but I'm not settled on any particular one. I've read that for a 6.0 I should go with a .96 A/R or larger.

For the hot side, I was looking at the Trick performance hot side kit. I've read some good things about them. I'm just kinda wondering how difficult it would be to make the crossover and DP, or if it would be cheaper to have a shop fab them. Will a 3" DP be large enough or should I go with a 4"?

What about the BOV and wastegate sizing? Seems like a 50mm is the pretty common size used for both. The ones on KBracing's site looked nice.

Oil lines, I will probably just get the set that Trick offers.

For fueling, I was thinking of doing dual Walbro's with one of them on some sort of controller with boost reference. I'm thinking I would need to run something like a -6an line from the tank to a boost referenced regulator. Not sure what to use for either case, though.

As for the rest of the drivetrain, I will be using the 9" out of my Camaro for the rear axle. Just gonna take it and have leaf spring perches welded on and a Trac-loc posi installed. Then for the transmission, I will be using a home built 4L80e. From what I've read, they don't seem too difficult to rebuild.

I know it's a long read, but I've done a good bit of reading and this was my findings. If anyone has any recommendations I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks for reading.

98SSClone
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The truck side (performance trucks dot net) will also be very helpful for what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Buy a short block, leave the engine in the Camaro, and sell it running?
U R replacing the entire top side anyway...
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a good start. I would change the cam and use a S480 with the 96mm turbine.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Launching!

buy my truck skip the work
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Truck Sponsor

Stock stuff has proven itself many times over.
3" dp has made 700 to the ground.
Your turbo selection needs to driven from what you really want out of the truck. Pulling, racing, or just having fun. We stock everything you might need for your turbo build.

Hit me up if need any help. All we build is truck kits.

Rick
Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Stock stuff has proven itself many times over.
3" dp has made 700 to the ground.
Your turbo selection needs to driven from what you really want out of the truck. Pulling, racing, or just having fun. We stock everything you might need for your turbo build.

Hit me up if need any help. All we build is truck kits.

Rick
Sorry to hijack but Rick do yall build a kit for a 1st gen s10 with ls and single turbo?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

There really is no need to take a 3000+ dollar fbody rear end and hack it up to put it in your truck. Gm full size trucks come with 8.5s and are plenty strong with a few upgrades. No point in switching that out.
I would think something like a precision 76 or a st80 turbo would be good for you because they both would spool quickly and make plenty of power to get your truck moving.

Quick Reply: Silverado---Stock 4.3 to Turbo 6.0---Need Advice