Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1989 Trans AM GTA 5.3 LM7 Turbo Build

Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1989 Trans AM GTA 5.3 LM7 Turbo Build

So it started with my 87 Trans am which i had put in a Lm7 5.3 mated to a 700r4 about 9 years ago.

The 5.3 was a low miles motor. I put in a z06 cam & springs, f-body accessories, under drive pulley, corvette ls1 intake manifold, edelbrock 4th gen shorty headers, painless '97-'98 harness, slp loudmouth cat back, fast fuel rails, aeromotive fuel regulator, and a 150 shot of laughing gas wet through a NOS fogger.
the Transmission was acting up so i decided to go to a built 4l60e and try out the trailblazer converter. then i got a great deal on a roller with t-tops (i always wanted t-tops, so i decided to swap everything out and do a turbo build.

the new roller... it needs some work, and some paint and some body parts.

i got a great deal on a new front clip, and wrap around fiber glass wing, paid $280 for both the clip and wrap around.

so with the help of a few friends we started taking out the motor and trans...

I decided to paint the new engine bay semi-gloss black so me and a friend cleaned and prepped the engine bay on the new roller

and then painted

the motor freshened up a bit (new paint some new gaskets) and of course the new tranny ready to go in

Here is the motor inside the car

here's the motor in the car and part of the painless harness being installed

i used the edelbrock shortys turned upside down for the turbo build

Here's some of the hot side being mocked up and tack welded in place

So this is a very budget oriented build, i'm using a cheap ebay chinese gt45r turbo, i found some 58 lb injectors on ebay, i'm gonna be using hp tuners for a basic starting out tune( later on i will have it tuned by some of the guys over at diablo sport hopefully) i'm using a cheap aluminum radiator, also using a cheap waste gate, the only expensive things i'm using are a mishimoto inter cooler and an hks blow off that i got great deals on, and i'm tired of going through walbros so im trying out the aeromotive stealth 340 in tank fuel pump

Here's everything pretty much welded up and the

and her's how the front looks, with the intercooler.

I went on a lil spending spree and bought some ground control weight jack springs, a sphon torque arm.

so far its taken me a lil bit over 6 months, had some family stuff to take care of so i havent worked on it for over a month.

all i got left is to swap out the rear end, install the sphon torque arm, the drive shaft, and install the ground control adjustable lowering springs.

i will take some more pictures tomorrow and post them. along with some of the stuff that i've done and haven't included in the build.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Looks great, another exciting build for us to drool over!

One thing you will probably want to address as you go along, is the direction of your wastegate tube where it diverges from the Y-pipe in front of the turbo. You have it leaning against the direction of gas flow, which will tend to give you bad boost control. If you run into trouble with that you should be able to find a way to re-fit it to be more in line with gas flow where it diverges.

Last edited by Tjabo; 10-21-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice build. I'm hoping to turbo my 89 one of these days.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tjabo
One thing you will probably want to address as you go along, is the direction of your wastegate tube where it diverges from the Y-pipe in front of the turbo. You have it leaning against the direction of gas flow, which will tend to give you bad boost control. If you run into trouble with that you should be able to find a way to re-fit it to be more in line with gas flow where it diverges.
Exactly what I was thinking. Cool build though.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Looks great, another exciting build for us to drool over!
X2 on that love those older Pontiacs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 Trans AM GTA 5.3 LM7 Turbo Build