Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

stock 5.3 vs stock LQ4, which is better for high boost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, the 7675 isn't big enough to support the 6.0, it'll make more powre on the 5.3 as it's better suited for it. On the 5.3 no reason you can't make 850+ rwhp as we have proven, sometime I'll get on the dyno again sometime, but I think the ltd is in the 900+ rwhp range now.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually stepped up to the borg s480 for mine with the 92mm turbine wheel and 1.10 t6 housing. Having a good converter goes a long way to getting things spooled. This is my first 5.3 build personally, but been playing with turbos on various platforms for a good long time. I have also been researching the crap out of all this to try to make the best combo I can for the money!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnies
Yep, the 7675 isn't big enough to support the 6.0, it'll make more powre on the 5.3 as it's better suited for it. On the 5.3 no reason you can't make 850+ rwhp as we have proven, sometime I'll get on the dyno again sometime, but I think the ltd is in the 900+ rwhp range now.
Awesome. Well, I would love to see your dyno sheet to see how things look. Feel free to post it up on this thread.

Originally Posted by Sarg
I actually stepped up to the borg s480 for mine with the 92mm turbine wheel and 1.10 t6 housing. Having a good converter goes a long way to getting things spooled. This is my first 5.3 build personally, but been playing with turbos on various platforms for a good long time. I have also been researching the crap out of all this to try to make the best combo I can for the money!
Well I couldn't agree more. Seems I have fired some people up with this thread, but I am trying to do the same thing, research as much as I can first before I start shelling out the cash and finding out on my own.

I had originally considered the S475, how much of a step up is the S480 over the S475? What kind of numbers are you expecting? Setups are all where its at. I am keeping my M6 tranny, but thinking about stepping down the gears to perhaps a 3.23 (something that will hit mid 150's at the top end of 4th gear at the track). And should help with the spooling and traction as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM
8 Second Club

If your keeping the M6 Def go with something smaller. It will be a lot more fun to drive. I Have the S480 its quite a but bigger than the 475 depending which one you pick. And as much as id like to have kept my T56 just wouldnt be worth it.....Plus Th400's are so cheap
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

The s480 is not much more, but it all depends on which one you got with. I decided to pony up for one of the latest turbine wheels, the 92mm, and the 1.10 housing which added a bit to the cost. But they start at around $700 and go up from there. But again I have the advantage of a 4000 rpm stall converter and maybe eventually a transbrake.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

The s480 is not much more, but it all depends on which one you got with. I decided to pony up for one of the latest turbine wheels, the 92mm, and the 1.10 housing which added a bit to the cost. But they start at around $700 and go up from there. But again I have the advantage of a 4000 rpm stall converter and maybe eventually a transbrake.
Well, the PT7675 is anywhere from $1200-$1400, so any of the Borg Warner turbos have it beat price wise. Not sure what you paid for the S480, but I am guessing its on par or less than the PT7675 (I could be wrong).

I was leaning towards a precision turbo just because they seem to be putting out some very stout numbers even if it is more than the Borg Warners.

How would the S480 compare with the PT7675? Would one be suited better towards the 5.3 vs the 6.0?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

It really just depends on how you configure it. They have turbines from 83mm to 96mm and housings from 1.10 all the way to a 1.51 ar. You could make it fit a 6.0 or a 5.3, manual or automatic. They also have t4 or t6 housings. So the combinations are endless. Borg also has some billet wheel stuff as well. There are 76mm billet wheels that would be very similar to the PT.

I know a lot of folks on both sides of the Precision fence. I personally have not had very good luck. Some people have. The advantage of Borg is they are a manufacturer for oem turbos and test the crap out of their stuff. There are Borgs on diesels that have gone 600k miles before a rebuild!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
8 Second Club

That's my exact reason for buying a Borg they are really well built Turbos for the price. You were asking price And it was 1355 with shipping batmowheel race cover and flange.
Here's the specs and I have the 1.32 AR
Wheel Dimensions: Compressor: 80.3 mm inducer, 115.8mm exducer, with exclusive Extended Tip Turbine: 95.5 inducer, 87.9mm exducer
Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Ok don't take this wrong. Heck I am a Bullseye dealer, but the factor cast 80mm wheel was recently tested by Borg against an 80 batmo and found the batmo billet wheel to flow less with less efficiency than the stock cast 80mm wheel. I have no issue getting someAone that turbo if they REALLY want one, but it is making me question some of the Bullseye stuff. I would love to see Dave or someone from Bullseye or an independant test. But for now I really don't know what to think about the botmo stuff.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

5.3 has more meat on the deck surface due to a smaller bore so the head sealing and clamping force will be greater than a 6.0 with a 4" bore.

5.3 as Sarg said will keep the compressor in it's efficiency range longer than the 6.0 making more average power across the entire RPM range. Unless you put a T6 88mm turbo with a 94mm+ turbine on the 6.0 you wouldn't have near the efficiency the 5.3 has.

5.3 has the same piston speed a 6.0 will have due to them both having the same stroke and rod length so there is no advantage there.

The main thing for me is clamping force though, 5.3 has more meat...end of discussion.

Ok don't take this wrong. Heck I am a Bullseye dealer, but the factor cast 80mm wheel was recently tested by Borg against an 80 batmo and found the batmo billet wheel to flow less with less efficiency than the stock cast 80mm wheel. I have no issue getting someAone that turbo if they REALLY want one, but it is making me question some of the Bullseye stuff. I would love to see Dave or someone from Bullseye or an independant test. But for now I really don't know what to think about the botmo stuff.
I'm glad you liked that compressor map I showed in that thread, really opened some eyes it seems.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM
8 Second Club

Idk if your talking to me but I don't have a batmowheel I have a cast wheel and a batmowheel race cover....but i am shocked the cast flows better than the batmo great info thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

I hear a lot of people stating that Borgs are great for the money and they have been tested, and proven. There have been some I know locally that have had issues though and seem to prefer the Precision. Not all share that opinion, silver82 (Chris) likes BW and had has great results on his truck.

The turbo is one thing I don't mind spending a little more on if it is better suited for the engine I choose, or the setup I run, and it will give less issues than another.

Martin, thanks for more input towards the 5.3. This seems like the better suited combo for what I am looking for and am leaning more towards it at this point.

It seems like from what I am hearing from this thread that 5.3 or 6.0 the better years to get at the 04.5+ due to the stronger rods. The 6.0 has more cubes, but the 5.3 may be stronger and may be able to take more of a beating.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I hear a lot of people stating that Borgs are great for the money and they have been tested, and proven. There have been some I know locally that have had issues though and seem to prefer the Precision. Not all share that opinion, silver82 (Chris) likes BW and had has great results on his truck.

The turbo is one thing I don't mind spending a little more on if it is better suited for the engine I choose, or the setup I run, and it will give less issues than another.

Martin, thanks for more input towards the 5.3. This seems like the better suited combo for what I am looking for and am leaning more towards it at this point.

It seems like from what I am hearing from this thread that 5.3 or 6.0 the better years to get at the 04.5+ due to the stronger rods. The 6.0 has more cubes, but the 5.3 may be stronger and may be able to take more of a beating.
I wouldn't say either one is stronger parts wise than the other, but the deck sealing and clamping force does it for me unless I'm going to run an aftermarket head on the 6.0 with a .750" deck thickness.

The BW are like a sherman tank. They were born in the diesel world and I know a truck driver who has personally put over 600k on one BW unit and over a million, yes I said million miles on another.

I really like the S476 with the 87mm turbine wheel for street 5.3 set-ups and for the more race oriented crowd the 92mm wheel is ****. A 1.0 AR on either of them would be my choice.

For a 4.8 the S475 with the 83mm turbine or even 87mm turbine and a .90 AR housing would be my choice.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Idk if your talking to me but I don't have a batmowheel I have a cast wheel and a batmowheel race cover....but i am shocked the cast flows better than the batmo great info thanks.
Yeah I read that as Batmowheel, race cover and flange...did not realize there was a batmowheel race cover. I thought the batmowheel was just the compressor wheel itself.

@Martin:

Yeah that compressor map was just crazy. Definitely made me rethink the batmowheel.

As for the Precision stuff I have had 2 smoke out of the box and had to be sent back for rebuilds. Two separate customers that bought their own turbos. I have not had that experience with Borg. I personally have never gotten a bad Borg unit. Also the Borg "extended tip" technology has proven itself to me. I have had turbos make more than their Garret counterparts and spool faster. Heck even had a customer make his own "cold air intake" that ended up getting filter damage from being a little TOO close to the front wheel and suck up a ton of road dirt and sand. A little rebuild, touch up on the wheels with a file and he was back off to the races.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

For the guys pushing these junk yard 5.3's and 6.0s to such high numbers, what is the secret? I know good tuning and setup goes a long way. What I'm more interested in is the setup of the engine.

Do you tear them down, open ring ends or even put new rings in?

Are you running factory main bolts and rod bolts?

Or are you able to go get a good condition 5.3 or 6.0 and bolt up the correct turbo with out cracking open the engine at all?

Reason I ask is I'm debating running a stock engine or putting in pistons and rods and save the money for other things...
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gpr
For the guys pushing these junk yard 5.3's and 6.0s to such high numbers, what is the secret? I know good tuning and setup goes a long way. What I'm more interested in is the setup of the engine.

Do you tear them down, open ring ends or even put new rings in?

Are you running factory main bolts and rod bolts?

Or are you able to go get a good condition 5.3 or 6.0 and bolt up the correct turbo with out cracking open the engine at all?

Reason I ask is I'm debating running a stock engine or putting in pistons and rods and save the money for other things...

Some people tear them down some dont, I didnt buy a JY 5.3 I bought a GM warrantee take out engine from a local dealership, it was fairly new, low miles and dirt cheap. It was removed for a noise (bad cam and lifter) So I cleaned everything up, but its all stock, main bolts, rod bolts, rings everything. There really inst a secret, the key is a good combo and good tuning and IMO good fuel. The factory hyper pistons will crack between rings or bust off a ringland if you get into detonation, but If you dont detonate you can stand a mountain on them. This is why I always urge people that do these builds to use good fuel when making alot of power.

Everyone also says dont rev them too high, I spin the **** outta mine but I know its a gamble.

How much power are you wanting to make?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Good fuel and lack of detonation. That is any motor though
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any comment on a l33/s488...............
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good fuel and lack of detonation. That is any motor though
You would be suprised how difficult it was to get the OP to consider it. Sounds like ur on the right track now ben
Old 10-24-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1BADAZZSS
Any comment on a l33/s488...............

Forced Inductions has a guy with a 92mm turbine and 88mm compressor. That combination could possibly work on a 5.3 motor. If the s480 ever becomes boring or if I need more then I will be considering an upgrade to a 83 or 88, but I believe it will meet my needs just fine. There are folks knocking on 8.50 with smaller turbos (lighter cars) so we will see. I really have no desire for this particular car to go faster than 8.50 due to the huge increase in safety equipment and cage requirements.

Quick Reply: stock 5.3 vs stock LQ4, which is better for high boost?