Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Inform me please

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inform me please

Okay so just throwing around some ideas with a build that I want to do. I have had a couple cars before, but that was while I was in college.
I just got a big boy job and my funds have increased slightly.

I want to build a FI car for just destroying the streets. I want it to be a real street car. Although it will not be my daily driver I still want to call it a street car. I know there are some 8sec cars out there that are "technically" street cars, but not really.

I want the car to be fun to drive and enjoy taking it out.
So my question is at what power level will you destroy most street driven cars but not so fast that im having to refill meth and run race gas.
I also want to keep a T-56, I dont care if it will be slower then cars with power glides, because i want to enjoy driving it.

So best build to meet these qualifications:
Streetable-this includes cruises, sitting in traffic at times, and 60-120 pulls
without over heating issues.
T56-I want to keep manual 6 speed, but will prob get built one.
Tires- I will run a MT drag radial on 10.5in wheel
FI- Ive heard twins are the best option for streetable performance, but It
needs to work well with T56, not over heat, and not blow the tires out.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My advice, is go with a Procharger, either a D1 or F1-series blower with a built motor and trans and you'll be happy as can be.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

^+1 An F1A should suit your needs. A Tick or RPM Built T56, or even better a TR6060 will be your best bet.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

single turbo or D1-F1A blower. all depends on how much money you want to spend man. FI adds up QUICK. What are your power goals and budget. You want it to last? Is your rearend stock? cuz its not going to last with n e decent amount of power running through it. My T56 has taken a beating at 570rwhp for awhile now with a stg 2 diamond clutch. shes getting tired now but still shifting pretty decently. I dont crush gears though.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was also thinking procharger. I've heard they are alot more fun with a T56 then a turbo because the power comes on more linear.
I'm not skimping at all. But at the same time I'm not just throwing money at it and buying all brand new name brand parts.
In places I can save then that's exactly what I'll do.
I want to run stock bottom end 5.3 and build around it. Once everything else is worked out I'll come back to the bottom end.
I plan on AI heads with LS6 ported intake and blower cam.
built T56 (not sure which one)
This is not going in the car in my sig. It's too nice of a car to cut up. So I'm selling it to a friend and starting with a V6 mustang I think.....
Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well with a procharger, you dont have to cut up anything. It all is pretty much a bolt up kind of thing unlike a turbo where you sometimes have to modify your radiator and your oil pan. dont skimp on a fuel system. nothing you can really "skimp" on to be honest. Anything you skimp on, is going to fail...eventually. id be looking into a rear end before a tranny if you can only afford one at a time. that 10 bolt will grenade the first time it hooks up nicely. ask me how i kno .
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

I understand that much. I've been around cars all my life.
I've competed in many engineering competitions including FSAE and BAJA. Passed my Fundamentals of Engineering exam and have been an apprentice for about a year.

Sorry...had to get that out.
Just know I'm not a 16 year old getting in over my head.

When I say "cut up"...I mean that I'm actually going to be cutting up the chassis and tube chassis the rear. Also doing mini tubs, fuel cell, and relocating battery to the rear.

When I say "skimp"....I mean I'm not paying $1000 for a FAST intake when the gains for my set up would only be marginal. Also don't see the point in dropping $8k on a built motor and be breaking everything. It will be done correctly and not driven till it is solid.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go turbo because its quiet when your cruising and all hell breaks loose when you get into boost. The 5.3s have proven time and time again that turbos are meant to be on them. I car that makes 550-600rwhp on the street and equal torque....and can actualyl put every bit of that power down on the street will handle just about any car you come across.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny, just about the same discussion as another thread. My vote goes turbo and small twins would be a blast for the street. I have been really curious what a pair of twin Borg s256 or s360s would do on a 5.3 l33 motor.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was steered away from a turbo with a M6 on the street due to drop in boost between shifts. Not saying it's true, but I was told that a Procharger with a M6 is more fun on the street, and I couldn't agree more. I absolutely love my setup.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Yeah ive decided on the set up.
Just pulled the trigger on a 6.0 Iron block LQ4.
Going to bring it to the machine shop and the finish product will be a 408 built for boost.
Decided to do it right the first time.

Built T-56, undecided on heads and valve train, streetable boost cam probably from Thunder Racing...which is 5 min from my house. Decided to go with procharger atleast D1. Going to make this a blow thru carb intake. I just want to be able to do the tuning myselg.

I also pulled the trigger on the car. I have a 1999 V6 mustang. I know its kind of played out but I love the way it looks. Going cobra bumpers, no spoiler, and painting it gun metal.

Once again thanks for advice...I just needed to know which direction to go in before I started. Now as soon as I get stuff coming back in, I will make my build thread.

Quick Reply: Inform me please