Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

question on how to weld vband to truck manifolds

Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question on how to weld vband to truck manifolds

im looking for information on how to weld vbands on truck manifolds. what type of material vband should i use and what type of welding rod needs to be used? any info would be good. thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mild steel or stanless weld to it just fine. ER70 or 308 wire. The manifolds are cast steel, not iron. Just clean up what you want to weld. If you have a fairly weak mig welder, you will definitely want to preheat the manifold. Stock manifolds weld really nice actually.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a thread with lots of good info on this topic.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...tock+manifolds
Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the guys at work weld mine with an inconel rod
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Launching!

308 filler, inside and out...

Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ Now that weld is sexy you do that? what brand and model tig was that
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Campbell
308 filler, inside and out...

That is extremely undercut. You can not have a concave weld.. Very crack prone. That would never pass weld inspection or test. That is a good root pass though... now put another one over it.

FYI... 90% of what people tell you and suggest online is all BS about welding. You can go to websites like Miller or Lincoln and they go into detail on a lot of things. Alot of what I read on this site in regards to welding is all BS and hear-say. Be careful who you listen to and ask for a detailed process and reason why people suggest what they do.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

ive welded strait to the manifolds too, works great.

you dont wanna see my pics though hahahha
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by denmah
ive welded strait to the manifolds too, works great.

you dont wanna see my pics though hahahha
I would. Makes me feel better about mine, lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
That is extremely undercut. You can not have a concave weld.. Very crack prone. That would never pass weld inspection or test. That is a good root pass though... now put another one over it.
The manifolds were ground all the way down. I had a good root pass before that. The insides are also welded completely. I was looking for it to be cosmetic quality on the outside. No cracks so far.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Actually if you look at the side profile if does not look undercut so much as it does a smooth transition onto the vband flange. Hard to tell on the phone, but looks pretty decent. Little more filler might have helped, but still much prettier than my junk, lmao. I am still learning though so what do I know.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI... 90% of what people tell you and suggest online is all BS about welding. You can go to websites like Miller or Lincoln and they go into detail on a lot of things. Alot of what I read on this site in regards to welding is all BS and hear-say. Be careful who you listen to and ask for a detailed process and reason why people suggest what they do.
FYI... 90% of what welders do on the web is criticize other people's welding skill/technique/equipment.

Why is that?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

5% ****, 5% oo and aahhh at other people with better equipment and skills?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by killernoodle
FYI... 90% of what welders do on the web is criticize other people's welding skill/technique/equipment.

Why is that?
Because they need to be. If someone is doing something wrong it should not be bad to tell them.
As someone who is experienced with this, I was an ASME certified pipe welder for quite a few years, I simply stated the truth...and regardless of how the bead looks cosmetically it would never be accepted as a complete peice. Im sure it will be fine, but anything that endures heat cycles, pressure, vibrations... should technically be done right. And yes there is a right and wrong way.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mig welded mines. I used stainless 2.5" Vbands and truck manifolds. I grinded and cleaned up the area were it was going to be welded and stuck the manifolds in the oven for 45mins @ 300 degrees. Once they were nice and hot I took one manifold out of the oven and began welding it. Once it was done I throw it back in the oven and started on the second manifold. I left them in the oven for another 4hrs or so, reducing the temp 50 degrees every 30mins. Then just let them sit till they were cool to the touch.

BTW, I haven't ran my car yet, I've only started it.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Mild steel or stanless weld to it just fine. ER70 or 308 wire. The manifolds are cast steel, not iron. Just clean up what you want to weld. If you have a fairly weak mig welder, you will definitely want to preheat the manifold. Stock manifolds weld really nice actually.
Manifolds are High Silicon Molybdenum Nodular Cast Iron. Has a very low thermal expansion rate compared to 304 Stainless. The OEMs will weld 409 stainless steel CATS directly to them using a high nickle content filler. The manifold should be heated +450° to prevent some chemical process I forget (brittle).

In short, mild steel will be less prone to cracking than 304 stainless. I don't have enough practical experience to say typical 304 stainless v-bands are too brittle. Plenty of people doing it.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

I have used 309 tig rod.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Danny
I mig welded mines. I used stainless 2.5" Vbands and truck manifolds. I grinded and cleaned up the area were it was going to be welded and stuck the manifolds in the oven for 45mins @ 300 degrees. Once they were nice and hot I took one manifold out of the oven and began welding it. Once it was done I throw it back in the oven and started on the second manifold. I left them in the oven for another 4hrs or so, reducing the temp 50 degrees every 30mins. Then just let them sit till they were cool to the touch.

BTW, I haven't ran my car yet, I've only started it.

X2... SS Vbands mig welded on two GTP manifolds. Mine have been on my car for 2 years with No cracking. The late model GM factory manifolds have plenty of steel in them. Preheat and post heat and good to go...
Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Because they need to be. If someone is doing something wrong it should not be bad to tell them.
As someone who is experienced with this, I was an ASME certified pipe welder for quite a few years, I simply stated the truth...and regardless of how the bead looks cosmetically it would never be accepted as a complete peice. Im sure it will be fine, but anything that endures heat cycles, pressure, vibrations... should technically be done right. And yes there is a right and wrong way.
We aren't welding for NASA here... we are welding vbands to truck manifolds.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Launching!

We aren't welding for NASA here... we are welding vbands to truck manifolds.
Lol. Couldnt agree with u more.

there are some things id like to say but ill keep them to myself. Not in reguards to you killernoodle

Brad ur weld is finE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question on how to weld vband to truck manifolds