Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does the truck hat on prochargers rob horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does the truck hat on prochargers rob horsepower??

Looking for some ways to gain some extra horses and Ive heard some suggestions on this forum that the truck hat on the D1sc prochargers rob horsepower. Is there any facts like dyno testing to prove this?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you read that? The standard kit hat is 3.5" diameter and makes a tighter bend than the 4" truck hat.

Any hat/filter combination will rob horsepower compared to no hat/filter or plain horn. But given the limited space between the blower inlet and radiator nothing is bigger and smoother than the truck hat, short of a custom molded piece.

The truck hat with a clean (large pleat) largest cone filter you can fit would be best. a 9" length filter with .5 pleat will certainly fit. If you have space underneath the headlight assembly (no pipe, fogs, cruise) you might be able to fit a 10" filter with 1.5" pleat. Its all about filter media surface area and keeping it clean.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't keep the truck hat on mine. It fell off the inlet the other day and grinded my rubber black cone that is in the middle of the impeller. Lucky for me none of the blades where damaged... Sucks I had to go back to my regular inlet hat that came with my d1 kit. I'm going to try and mold something up, so I can have the cone higher up away from the ground. As it sits now with the truck inlet the cone sits right above the ground and the truck inlet doesnt really fit right with the radiator right there. Ill keep everyone in the loop.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Intakehoses.com has a 3.75 to 4" 90 degree Silicone reducing elbow. I got one a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Monte4ever; 11-14-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Intakehoses.com has a 3.75 to 4" 90 degree Silicone reducing elbow. I got one a few weeks ago.
Becareful useing just a silicone 90 as mine worked fine cold but once it got hot it would collapse and that is terible thing to do to a prochargers seals etc... I ended up cutting a piece off an Aluminum 90 to fit inside to keep it from being able to collapse and worked great for me. GL!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tirefire
I can't keep the truck hat on mine. It fell off the inlet the other day and grinded my rubber black cone that is in the middle of the impeller. Lucky for me none of the blades where damaged... Sucks I had to go back to my regular inlet hat that came with my d1 kit. I'm going to try and mold something up, so I can have the cone higher up away from the ground. As it sits now with the truck inlet the cone sits right above the ground and the truck inlet doesnt really fit right with the radiator right there. Ill keep everyone in the loop.
Mine does the same thing every once in a while. I run with no filter at the track and had to zip tie the truck inlet so when it does come free it stays somewhat out of the way and doesn't get crushed by my tires or anyone else.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefire
That is too bad Andy! If you haven't tried it, use a T-bolt clamp instead of a worm clamp with the inlet hat. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I found that you need to grind off the little lip that is on the edge of the outside of the end of the truck hat in order to get it to fit properly on the procharger outlet. Since the outlet lip is only about 1/2" wide, approximately the same width as the clamps, having that lip on the inlet hat not only pushed the clamp off the lip of the procharger, but the lip also kep the hat from seating all the way on.

See the picture below as to where I'm talking about that the ridge hits the procharger itself.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I found that you need to grind off the little lip that is on the edge of the outside of the end of the truck hat in order to get it to fit properly on the procharger outlet. Since the outlet lip is only about 1/2" wide, approximately the same width as the clamps, having that lip on the inlet hat not only pushed the clamp off the lip of the procharger, but the lip also kep the hat from seating all the way on.

See the picture below as to where I'm talking about that the ridge hits the procharger itself.
Do you have some after pics of the lip and what did you use to grind off the lip?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
That is too bad Andy! If you haven't tried it, use a T-bolt clamp instead of a worm clamp with the inlet hat. Bob
Hey Bob thanks for the advice...yea I forgot to mention I crushed my $50 dollar air filter too..
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm talking about the plastic hat. Use a regular peice of 50 grit sandpaper and just smooth it out.

I'd take a picture and show you, but that would mean unclamping it, and at this point, it's holding well, so I don't want to mess with it.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had to do the same thing to my truck hat. Filed off the bump around the edge of the blower side of the truck hat. Before the clamp would squeeze the hat off the blower inlet. After removing the ridge the clamp and hat sit snugly against the blower and can be tightened down strong. Hasn't moved since.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Becareful useing just a silicone 90 as mine worked fine cold but once it got hot it would collapse and that is terible thing to do to a prochargers seals etc... I ended up cutting a piece off an Aluminum 90 to fit inside to keep it from being able to collapse and worked great for me. GL!
These are thick 4 or 5 layer elbows. I cannot squeeze it shut. Btw, I'm only using 1-2" of material past each side of the bend. I have nothing to do with this company and am not trying to sale anything here but these are good free-flowing elbows.

Quick Reply: Does the truck hat on prochargers rob horsepower??