Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

All Out Bonneville Junkyard Effort

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default All Out Bonneville Junkyard Effort

We are looking at building a turbo 4.8 to run in a '32 Roadster at Bonneville. The class record (D Blown Gas Roadster) seems soft at 211. It takes about 800 horsepower to go 200 in that body that means we will need like twice that much to go 225, right...?

So what we are thinking at this point is a stock shortblock 4.8, twin Ebay GT45's, good valve springs, a custom grind cam, Victor Jr or Super Victor intake, custom elbow, the biggest throttle body we can find, 120 pound injectors, A2W intercooling, twin 044's. Run it all on MS3. The gas class means we run their gas which is C16. Methanol puts us in a fuel class so that's a no go.

The big deal here is that we need to run flat out for 7 miles. Two full minutes at or near full throttle. We also need to able to get in and out of it because traction on the salt is also a major issue. Being able to modulate throttle near the limit is important. I figure it would be cheaper to bring four or five craigslist 4.8's out there than to build one really, really good one. Any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One bit of advice I would have is to drill a hole in the back of the head and run a -10 line to the oilpan to provide a good oil return to the pan.....I would also recommend a bit more fuel pump....For the price of 2 044's you can get a holley dominator twin pump which is rated for more flow.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Id do forged pistons and rods. For another $1500 you could run it all out with out worry of making the trek out there only to scatter it. Good thing you have 7 miles, it may take a couple to spool twin GT45s on a 4.8. Good luck, sounds like a cool project.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be super concerned about the valvetrain in some thing like this.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

You are in for a steep learning curve. Do you have a dyno to dial in your combination?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
You are in for a steep learning curve. Do you have a dyno to dial in your combination?
Of course we have access to a dyno for tuning and a tuner who knows how to use it. That will certainly get us some useful information but there's no dyno like Bonneville. I build cars for a living and the other guy involved in this project drives a landspeed '32 coupe. He also builds motors and crews for two record holding '32's including the 291 mile an hour BMR roadster. This is not our first rodeo but still, there's always more to learn!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:21 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Is this going to run a stock oiling system or some sort of dry sump? Just thinking the windage may become an issue???? I am no expert but something to think about. Also, the coolant crossovers from head to head as to avoid any steam pockets. I am sure a search on here would provide some tips on the mods that guys have done to their cars to avoid this. Thats what comes to mind for me at least. Sounds like an awesome project.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely wont need the biggest throttle body possible. There are lots of guys who have made 4 digit power on stock intake and throttle bodys. I think you could better spend the money elsewhere.

Why a 4.8 instead of a 5.3?

To make a record run do you have to make a follow up run for it to be official? Like in drag racing?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So if you oil down the track at bonneville do they have a clean up crew or do they just let the salt absorb all that mess?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Schraders
Of course we have access to a dyno for tuning and a tuner who knows how to use it. That will certainly get us some useful information but there's no dyno like Bonneville. I build cars for a living and the other guy involved in this project drives a landspeed '32 coupe. He also builds motors and crews for two record holding '32's including the 291 mile an hour BMR roadster. This is not our first rodeo but still, there's always more to learn!
Ok, but it reads as a amateur attempt. We get a lot of people who show up and want to rotate the earth with little experience and junk parts. I have reservations about trying it with a stock short block. Keep us updated. I hope I am wrong and you get the record.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Captain Double Post

I dont see what everyones issues is,let that bad boy eat lol,do you already havve the 4.8? Some sponser on here has a deal on forged 5.3s,i think there around 2500,whichis a pretty good deal,there are alot of killer builds that people use 4.8s n 5.3s,make sure to do a build thread,imo it sounds like it will be pretty sick,
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
Ok, but it reads as a amateur attempt. We get a lot of people who show up and want to rotate the earth with little experience and junk parts. I have reservations about trying it with a stock short block. Keep us updated. I hope I am wrong and you get the record.
No problem, I make my living dealing with those folks so I know exactly who you're talking about. We certainly have reservations about running a stock short block it goes against everything we know. But after seeing what people on here are doing and after talking to Freiburger about the motor they built it really got us thinking. He made something like 60 pulls on that motor, they wanted to turn it up even more but they ran out of dyno time. He really sold my partner on the whole idea. The car is already mostly built and the out of pocket for everything else is a fraction of what it would be for an actual race motor.

We are running a 4.8 to meet class rules. A 5.3 is a C motor and the record there is very high. To get the record you have to make the pass then the car goes into impound. You can do minor servicing while it's in impound but you can't swap motors or transmissions or gearing or anything like that. The next morning you have to back up the run to get the record. As for oiling the track, they make you tarp your pit to protect against oil and coolant but on the track they just let it ride.

The main issues I see have to do with longevity, it's a whole different deal than drag racing. The car spends a couple of miles fighting against the air at or near full throttle for those last few miles an hour. **** is under a lot of load. I like some of the oiling suggestions, anyone have other ideas?

Last edited by Schraders; 11-28-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

One problem I see is if you plan on bringing extra shorts you should bring extra turbos as well unless you can keep pieces of piston from taking out the turbines.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schraders
We are running a 4.8 to meet class rules. A 5.3 is a C motor and the record there is very high. To get the record you have to make the pass then the car goes into impound. You can do minor servicing while it's in impound but you can't swap motors or transmissions or gearing or anything like that. The next morning you have to back up the run to get the record. As for oiling the track, they make you tarp your pit to protect against oil and coolant but on the track they just let it ride.
That makes since about the classes. Just out of curiosity how fast would you have to go if you were running a 5.3?

And I'm still a little leary about a stock engine. I know people do it on dynos and 1/4 mile passes over and over but those are for seconds at a time your talking about 14 miles to make a record pass. That's 28 1/4 mile passes combined at one time just for a single pass . That's going to be ALOT of stress on that stock engine.

Originally Posted by INTMD8
One problem I see is if you plan on bringing extra shorts you should bring extra turbos as well unless you can keep pieces of piston from taking out the turbines.
Very good point also
Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Here's the thing about that. For the cost of one good forged crank I can buy 4 Craigslist 4.8's. And it turns out I am a dealer for DNA Motoring who sells the GT45's so with my discount I can buy 6 (almost 7) of them for what one S480 costs. So...there's that.

Plus Costco has Depends in bulk, so we have that covered.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i would upgrade the stock rockers with a bearing upgrade. CHE make a bronze bearing, and comp makes a sealed roller bearing upgrade..
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Stock block and rotating assembly, twin turbo, 800+ hp, 2 minutes @ WOT? Is it just me or does anyone else see an issue here. There is no way that is going to hold up. That is an enormous amount of heat for those pistons to handle for that amount of time.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Do it!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

in for updates. Ford took the lincoln Mark 8 in '94, blue printed and balanced the factory 4.6 Dohc, lowered the air suspension, threw in some gears (to get the 4r70w to stay in 3rd, a 1:1 ratio), a cage, and a belly pan and went 186mph (iirc) with a (rated) 280bhp engine in a 3800lb car...... but its a damn lawn dart.....
Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 AM
TECH Veteran

build it right.

Quick Reply: All Out Bonneville Junkyard Effort