Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Head selection advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Head selection advice

I had planned on just making this car a N/A stroker but I have decided to go the SC route. I'm not really sure how far off in the future it will be before i actually SC, but I'll be getting headers soon and want to do H/C before the spring. I'm leaning towards the brute speed blower cam and I had been planning on just getting some used LS6/LS2 heads and sending them into Advanced Induction. I don't plan on goin nuts with the boost, I'm going to keep the bottom end stock for now. I just want to run between 8-10 lbs. What I'm wondering is if it is worth it for me to get the 243/799 castings and having them done up at AI or should I stick with the 241 heads I have now for their larger 67cc chamber volume for lower cr and to minimize heat. Also keeping in mind I will still be running N/A for a while saving up to SC, after all im just a young guy goin to college on the GI bill, not exactly rakin in the cash just yet haha I'm sittin at 33,XXX miles on the car right now if that makes any difference.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TcMcDaniel
I had planned on just making this car a N/A stroker but I have decided to go the SC route. I'm not really sure how far off in the future it will be before i actually SC, but I'll be getting headers soon and want to do H/C before the spring. I'm leaning towards the brute speed blower cam and I had been planning on just getting some used LS6/LS2 heads and sending them into Advanced Induction. I don't plan on goin nuts with the boost, I'm going to keep the bottom end stock for now. I just want to run between 8-10 lbs. What I'm wondering is if it is worth it for me to get the 243/799 castings and having them done up at AI or should I stick with the 241 heads I have now for their larger 67cc chamber volume for lower cr and to minimize heat. Also keeping in mind I will still be running N/A for a while saving up to SC, after all im just a young guy goin to college on the GI bill, not exactly rakin in the cash just yet haha I'm sittin at 33,XXX miles on the car right now if that makes any difference.
I'd go with our cam and 8 psi of boost and add good valvesprings to your stock non ported heads. You'll see an increase somewhere is the 200 rwhp range, which is all the added power I recommend on the stock bottom end. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Teching In

What about before boost? It will basically be full bolt-ons + blower cam for some time while I save up to procharge. As I understand it the bigger intake ports wont make as big of a difference once I add boost but they can definitely benefit me while I wait and save up the cash. What I'm trying to figure out is what will give me the most power N/A while being good supporting mods for the future boost. Thank you for the advice by the way, I really appriciate your input.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TcMcDaniel
What about before boost? It will basically be full bolt-ons + blower cam for some time while I save up to procharge. As I understand it the bigger intake ports wont make as big of a difference once I add boost but they can definitely benefit me while I wait and save up the cash. What I'm trying to figure out is what will give me the most power N/A while being good supporting mods for the future boost. Thank you for the advice by the way, I really appriciate your input.
A lot of people add our blower cam before adding boost, and they generally pick up around 60 rwhp with it. I've seen over the years with the stock bottom end where with 8 psi of boost you can add a good cam, or good heads, but if you add the cam and heads with 8 psi there is a good chance you'll knock out either #7 or #8 piston. Certainly there are those who had added both the cam and heads and had it survive, but I have seen too many of them crack a ringland to recommend adding both with boost on a stock bottom end.
Adding a good methanol injection system will certainly help longevity with these combinations, but I recommend just adding the cam with the boost unless you can afford an engine rebuild should the need arise. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot Bob, I'll be giving you guys a call in a month or so to order a cam can't wait!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

somwhere between 400-420 with that cam and bolt ons. even thru an auto.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I've heard the better you motor runs n/a, the better it will run under boost. I believe you would make the same power with ported 243s at 6lbs as you would with stock 241s at 8lbs. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I think I'll just with Bobs advice and run the 241's on 8 lbs and when ever i get around to throwin some forged goodies in the bottom end I'll upgrade the rest to match its new capabilities. I really don't wanna damage the motor because I intend on swapping it into a truck once I've built the LS2 I'm making plans for. Although that will not be for quite some time.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin95
I've heard the better you motor runs n/a, the better it will run under boost. I believe you would make the same power with ported 243s at 6lbs as you would with stock 241s at 8lbs. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.
Pretty much sums it up, the dyno below made 410 rwhp with the X3 cam, 640 rwhp with 9 psi. 241 heads.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i ran my 241's

NA made 393rwhp

9lbs made 599. cam was not as aggressive as bobs.

still 206rwhp. those runs were made on the same dyno. d1sc. fmic, truck intake/filter.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

i was about the same.

Stock 853's, torquer v3 cam, intake/tb/headers, D1 @ 5.5-6psi, FMIC, truck inlet..

383rwhp N/A

571rwhp S/C'd

+188rwhp
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Awesome, I'm stoked to see some solid real world #'s, added confidence and motivation are priceless. I'm half temped to return everybodies christmas presents and just have one hell of a christmas myself HAHA

Quick Reply: Head selection advice