Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Homemade Turbo Build fuel problem :( (video up)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Turbo Build fuel problem :( (video up)

figured id put up some pics of my build just in case you guys see anything thats wrong lol. Im 21 in college about to graduate and wanted a little more out of my car and had a buddy that spent about $54,000 on his car and its nasty obviously... but he didnt build it himself, Doesn't have the skills to do it. Now im not saying i do haha but im trying to do my best and wanted it to look clean and put down some good numbers and fit in my budget.

Well i bought the car for $3200 with a forged ls1 all rebuilt stock top end though. which obviously is a steal cause thats really cheap but any who spent $2300 on all of this.. and all of this was done in my garage with a mig and a metal chop saw and a grinder lol

mod list

3 bar map gm#12223861
2 walboro 255s
aeromotive regulator
griffin rad
317 truck heads
comp cam XR265HR (212/218 .522/.529 114)
7.400 rods
comp beehive springs
Siemens DEKA IV ( DEKA 4 ) Mototron 60lb injectors
rps 50mm bov
38mm tial wastegate
76mm on3 turbo
ebay intercooler and piping

and im probably forgetting some but its just a quick list..

then started tearing everything apart..

then cut the bar above the radiator and cut the bottom out to fit the new one in vertically

cut the bumper out...(and thats a rough cut didnt have a file then but its perfect now) thinking about putting a grille in idk yet..

intercooler mounted

then started on making the hotside just doing a non a/c truck manifold kit

and where im at now motor is all done so is the hotside all im waiting on is my base tune and oil lines for the turbo and im done cold side i can put on real quick so i really hope to have it running this weekend! and i dont have pics with the hotside completed but you get it..

so any thing you see wrong please let me know haha wont hurt my feelings... but it does show that with a little will you can build it your self, it has taken ALOT of time..but its worth it i like being able to say i built it to me that means something and for $5,500 total build cost ill challenge anyone haha

Last edited by blown90camaro; 12-28-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these builds! Good work, looks real good. What numbers are you expecting?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blown90camaro

so any thing you see wrong please let me know haha wont hurt my feelings... but it does show that with a little will you can build it your self, it has taken ALOT of time..but its worth it i like being able to say i built it to me that means something and for $5,500 total build cost ill challenge anyone haha
Looks good. Great project at a great cost.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

im gonna start out at 8lbs just with the base tune im getting then hopefully in two weeks ill have a 12 bolt and ill go back to get my final dynotune and i just want around 650 on about 12lbs..if its plus or minus idc im happy with whatever 12 puts down
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

and i appreciate all the good words!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

oh anybody have any damn tricks to get the harmonic balancer back on with out getting a longer bolt? tried a installer from advance but it wasnt long enough..
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

ive always hammered them on with a piece of wood till the stock one will grab it and then run it home from there.

wideband is in the hottest and probably most pressurized spot, most people put them in the downpipe after the turbo instead of right at the collector there for the turbo flange.

should work fine there, but people say the heat and pressure there will wear it out fast....

cant believe everything you hear on the internet though.

+1 for doing it yourself!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by denmah
ive always hammered them on with a piece of wood till the stock one will grab it and then run it home from there.

wideband is in the hottest and probably most pressurized spot, most people put them in the downpipe after the turbo instead of right at the collector there for the turbo flange.

should work fine there, but people say the heat and pressure there will wear it out fast....

cant believe everything you hear on the internet though.

+1 for doing it yourself!
thanks man see thats the **** i wish i knew before i did it haha hopefully it will be fine ive seen several done there before but who knows haha.. and alright i figured the hammer just didnt wanna do that lol
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

This might be a dumb question? it looks like the cold side of the turbo is pointing directly at the stock fan set up. How do you plan to pipe that into your intercooler? looks pretty close. i have never messed with a turbo set up but interested in doing the front mount truck manifold kit myself.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM

im sure people will tell you never to do it, but man i have hammered them all on, trucks, trans ams, my g8, corvettes, gotta be into the triple digits now on ls motors and no problems.

i mean people put widebands into the primary tubes on their headers to measure individual cyl air fuels for balancing a motor, so i dont see the problem.

just other people have said the back pressure will kill it... eh.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 00ssmg
This might be a dumb question? it looks like the cold side of the turbo is pointing directly at the stock fan set up. How do you plan to pipe that into your intercooler? looks pretty close. i have never messed with a turbo set up but interested in doing the front mount truck manifold kit myself.
he's gunna clock the turbo down and away from the fan.
at least i think he is going to. lol
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00ssmg
He most likely hasnt clocked the compressor housing yet. Anywho, nice build man!! looks good! How much power are you aiming for with your setup?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

get a piece of wood (2x4) cut it to where its as long as the width of the balancer, hit it evenly. Is it right? No, not by any means, but it works, ive used that method several times untill recently i ordered the proper install tool
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by denmah
he's gunna clock the turbo down and away from the fan.
at least i think he is going to. lol
ya lol thats an old pic i actually went up with it i have plenty of room cause i relocated the battery to the rear..
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nick.celis
get a piece of wood (2x4) cut it to where its as long as the width of the balancer, hit it evenly. Is it right? No, not by any means, but it works, ive used that method several times untill recently i ordered the proper install tool
ya ill try it then ftw haha
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nick.celis
He most likely hasnt clocked the compressor housing yet. Anywho, nice build man!! looks good! How much power are you aiming for with your setup?
umm im looking for around 650 or more maybe i honestly dont care just what ever 12lbs will give me i should be happy with for a little while haah then ill probably get a better turbo and see what it will do lol
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Cool build.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im vary jelly. your whole car is going to cost the same as my rear end did lol. and it will probably be alot faster then my car to. props to you
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Nice build man what tranny you running?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blown90camaro
oh anybody have any damn tricks to get the harmonic balancer back on with out getting a longer bolt? tried a installer from advance but it wasnt long enough..
Take a torch and heat the center up to about 350-400 degrees... or put it in the oven for 30 min. Just dont overheat it because you'll then melt the seal. make sure you take some fine sand paper or emery cloth and knock any nicks or burs off the shaft and the inside of the balancer first.

Once its hot it will have expanded .002-.003 and should slide right on. Slide it on fast all the way, keep a rubber mallet handy you might need to tap on it. It should literally fall on. You only have a few seconds to do this. Once the balancer touches the shaft the shaft heats up and they are tight.

Its called an interference fit. Used a lot in industrial applications, hubs, couplers. People in the automotive industry are afraid of it though. lol.
Works great all the time for me.

Quick Reply: Homemade Turbo Build fuel problem :( (video up)