Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Would you rather?? Electric or boost activated cutout.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Would you rather?? Electric or boost activated cutout.

I'm running a 4 inch dp and don't have room to bring it through the kmember. What i want to do is tapper it down to a 3 inch and connect it to my nice sounding but not the best flowing "catback."

So I'm going to run a 4 inch dp with a cutout to have the best of both worlds.

I found the sound performance boost activated cutout ($460) that would be totally automatic. As soon as it hits about 4psi it starts to open. I'm thinking that's nice because i could get into it and not worry about holding a switch down first then again to close.

Or i do the electric ($200) and I'm in full control but have to think about it before beating on the car because i have a switch to push. Upside is when i want to cruise with an open dp and be a badass i can, the other route i can't.

What would you do and why?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I'm running a 4 inch dp and don't have room to bring it through the kmember. What i want to do is tapper it down to a 3 inch and connect it to my nice sounding but not the best flowing "catback."

So I'm going to run a 4 inch dp with a cutout to have the best of both worlds.

I found the sound performance boost activated cutout ($460) that would be totally automatic. As soon as it hits about 4psi it starts to open. I'm thinking that's nice because i could get into it and not worry about holding a switch down first then again to close.

Or i do the electric ($200) and I'm in full control but have to think about it before beating on the car because i have a switch to push. Upside is when i want to cruise with an open dp and be a badass i can, the other route i can't.

What would you do and why?

I'm doing the same thing basically and going electric. When i want it quiet, i want it to stay quiet. I would rather be in full control.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely electric, boost activated will be hindering spool.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Launching!

electric cutout for sure. open when you want, closed when you want.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

I personally like the idea of being a little stealthy, so I would choose the boost activated for a high hp street car, but $460 is a bit steep, isn't it? maybe I'm just too cheap.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I need a gauge for that

Electric
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Electric activated by a hobbs switch so you can adjust it to where ever you want.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

$460 is too much money with that money you can by a better upgrade.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LilJohn
Electric activated by a hobbs switch so you can adjust it to where ever you want.
I think I like your idea, but I'm just not getting the picture as to where would you hook-up the hobbs switch to get a signal from.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by typhoon1015
electric cutout for sure. open when you want, closed when you want.
Not sure if a Hobbs switch will work with a cutout. Typically you hold the cutout switch down until it's open, then release. Using a Hobbs switch would keep trying to open the cutout after it's fully open, which could burn out the motor. I haven't had a cutout for years, so maybe they have changed how the switch interacts with the motor.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Not sure if a Hobbs switch will work with a cutout. Typically you hold the cutout switch down until it's open, then release. Using a Hobbs switch would keep trying to open the cutout after it's fully open, which could burn out the motor. I haven't had a cutout for years, so maybe they have changed how the switch interacts with the motor.
^^^ This, but i bet it could be made to work with some wiring knowledge. You would just have to get the hobbs switch to power off once its fully open. Maybe by setting up some type of ground contact that the butterfly hits when its fully open which cuts the signal from the hobbs switch.

I just prefer to run an electric cutout so theres no worries.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
^^^ This, but i bet it could be made to work with some wiring knowledge. You would just have to get the hobbs switch to power off once its fully open. Maybe by setting up some type of ground contact that the butterfly hits when its fully open which cuts the signal from the hobbs switch.

I just prefer to run an electric cutout so theres no worries.
or build a device (or buy one) to measure resistance... like auto-down and auto-up windows. then you won't need the extra things hanging around the cutout, which could possibly melt

now, what if you want to auto-CLOSE the cutout? is there a hobbs switch with a 0 psi setting?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Like stated above, I would go with the electric cut out. Quiet when you are cruising around and bad *** mode when you want it to be.

I would personally get annoyed if every time I had to pass a car or merge on to the interstate if I got a sudden burst of loud *** noise and then it would quiet back down.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Somebody09
or build a device (or buy one) to measure resistance... like auto-down and auto-up windows. then you won't need the extra things hanging around the cutout, which could possibly melt

now, what if you want to auto-CLOSE the cutout? is there a hobbs switch with a 0 psi setting?
Maybe that part is the reason why the off the shelf one is 460 bucks. Lol

Back in 03... i built my own. I spring loaded it liked a throttle body and used a big electric actuator. It was just an open/close type....no pwm or stepper motor stuff.

Ill see if i can find that actuator.... its what made it easy....
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
Like stated above, I would go with the electric cut out. Quiet when you are cruising around and bad *** mode when you want it to be.

I would personally get annoyed if every time I had to pass a car or merge on to the interstate if I got a sudden burst of loud *** noise and then it would quiet back down.
ZR1's do that stock. Cmon.. its pretty cool. Lol
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Another thing to think about is that electric cutouts (at least the McCord and QTP's that I've had) take about 5-7 seconds to fully open. So wiring it to a Hobbs switch might not work too well unless you're in boost for awhile. I imagine the boost activated cutout will open quite quickly. Regardless, an electric cutout will give you more control in the end and is less than half the half the price.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a DMH cutout and I like it alot. I thought about going with the SP type boost activated cutout, but I like the idea of controlling it myself.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a dmh cutout and it works great, just gets old opening and closing it

Those pneumatic ones are pimp. Full SS

I am trading to one this winter
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I made a boost/vacuum operated cutout. It worked really nice while i had it. The previous setup i had was designed to open at 0 vacuum/0 psi. I would do it again with a wastegate actuator at 5 psi.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ping King
I made a boost/vacuum operated cutout. It worked really nice while i had it. The previous setup i had was designed to open at 0 vacuum/0 psi. I would do it again with a wastegate actuator at 5 psi.
+1. Get a manual cutout and attach a super low pressure wastegate actuator to it.

Quick Reply: Would you rather?? Electric or boost activated cutout.