Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Looking for some imput/direction

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for some imput/direction

So I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a new engine swap into my 94 impala. Haven't decided on piecing together a lq4/lq9 or pulling the trigger on an aes long block. I know I want to go forced induction with the car, and I would love to go twin screw, because the car is heavy and torque on demand is nice, also the noise. What I guess I'm looking for is advise on what power adder to go with which engine from those who've been down either road. I've read alot of threads about whipple's and magna chargers etc, and I think I've honestly gotten less decisive than when I started reading. I'm hoping to make over 500whp and would actually like to be closer to 600whp through a 4l80e. I'm open to suggestions with either setup, trying to learn from people's mistakes and such to save myself some trouble/money if I can. Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Teching In

anyone have imput? the cheap *** in me wants to build a cheaper motor combo, the perfectionist in me wants high quality parts... just dont know which way to go
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are your power goals and goals for the car?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
what are your power goals and goals for the car?
500whp minimum with room to grow. car wont be a drag queen, but will get ran at the strip and on some road courses. mostly car shows, cruising around town. its quite a heavy car so I want it to move. its getting a body off resto with all supporting mods(brakes, trans, rear, upgraded suspension etc). I get bored fairly quickly sometimes and would like to be able to spice it up a little here or there if i feel like changing something... without having maxed out the engine's potential or the blower's either. that part of me makes me want to go the AES route so that I can always swap to turbo or a bigger blower if I have to
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started out with a 6.0 and D1SC then went to an AES 410" with a F1R now swapping to a 88mm turbo. Go for the AES motor and turbo it from the get go you will be wayyyy ahead in the end. You will be happier with the results especially with the weight gear it right and the turbo will make gobs of torque down low.If you get bored just crank up the boost!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Teching In

ok, so been a while but I have a motor. I bought a GTO with a texas speed 408 LSX in it. gonna pull the motor, swap in a factory engine, and sell the GTO. That being said, I'm looking at twin screw's pretty hard right now. have looked at tvs 2300's and whipples and I'm not sure which to go with. from what I've read the tvs 2300 will run out of steam before my engine will... so which blower would you guys run? I see whipple makes many superchargers, but do they make any decent sized ones with an intake for my motor? Getting ready to tear the body off the impala in the next couple weeks to start the frame off resto and I'm trying to get my ducks in order. Also, any idea of the fuel demands of a supercharged 408 lsx? Looking at buying a FAST system to manage it all. Thanks for helping with all my newbie questions
Old 08-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Teching In

anybody have advice?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Teching In

bump
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you can do the 2300 it wont be out of steam too soon. im not sure what they make but the torque will be there, and down low. if 500 is what you want then it will be easy to make that.

if you have a ton of room down there you may talk with the guys at Huron and look into an s480 with a 390-408 setup. be prepared to spend the coin but youll get what you pay for out of a setup like that. dont be afraid to spend a little extra on the rods and crank. you could just put in a stock 6.0 for now and go ahead and get the kit in and on, run 10-15lbs for a while with rod bolts and studs and gaskets.....and be good for some time. Stangkilr ran 20+ lbs through his stock 6.0.

id guess your looking at an easy 14-20k on a setup like that with supporting mods if you do go with a sponsored shortblock. really depends on what you already have going on.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Teching In

yeah like i said I bought a gto for the motor in it... so I already have a 408 texas speed LSX block, forged internals etc. planning on putting a blower cam in it and throwing boost at it. that 500hp mark went out the window when I bought this motor. It made 458 hp at the wheels on a dyno last week. I dont want to buy a blower setup and then it max out on boost when the motor could take x amount more is my thought process with the 2300.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Friend of mine made 8xxhp with a 408 and cog driven 2300 on e85. Beast for sure.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah your 500whp on a boosted forged 408 is pretty low lol. It sounds like you're already set on your direction. But of it were me I'd be looking at the turbo route a little harder! A good sized single or twin setup would get you good power down low and better versatility down the road I feel!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DropShipDave
Yeah your 500whp on a boosted forged 408 is pretty low lol. It sounds like you're already set on your direction. But of it were me I'd be looking at the turbo route a little harder! A good sized single or twin setup would get you good power down low and better versatility down the road I feel!
supercharger whine lol. the impala club has several centrifugal blower/turbo cars but I've never seen a twin screw impala, just something different, and less engine bay cluttering.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

anyone know off the top of their head if I need a different harness if I buy a stock engine/harness/pcm from a 6 speed car to stick back in the automatic gto that I have? or are the connectors for the auto trans in the same harness that the 6 speed cars use? I assume the pcm will need a reflash at a minimum. Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is an auto now? Just put the auto harness already in the car on the factory engine and reflash the 408 PCM back to factory. Don't use the 6 speed harness and PCM.

Quick Reply: Looking for some imput/direction