Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ECM and Harness for Turbo 408

Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECM and Harness for Turbo 408

I have a 408 with a S488 turbo and powerglide that I am building. I have the engine almost done with CNC LS3 heads, forged bottom end and Victor Jr. intake with 1000 cc bosch injectors. I am putting this in a Vega. I was thinking about using a Camaro LS1 ECM with an aftermarket non-emission wiring harness as with the car and trans I just need a tuneable combo and no emmissions.
What is the best and cheapest way to do this as far as engine management systems go or am I going down the right path.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Vegas!!!!
What trans are you using? Depending on how DIY you are when it comes to electrical wiring, the Megasquirt line seems to be the most affordable and user friendly.

If your set on using factory managment, there are many vendors/people offering a rewire service starting around $250.00 plus additional charges for flashing the ECU. But then you would still need a custom tune. I have seen premade universal LS1 hasrness' on ebay of as low as $350....

In the end, I have figured out that it would cost me as low as $600 all the way up to $2000 depending on what route I go with for my engine mangement....
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Where the hell do u find them that cheap? Cheapest I found was from PSI for $500.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

I went down a similar road on one of my projects:
LS1 harness/PCM $400, rewire it yourself or send it out ($300), then a tune for forced induction $600-900. So you are looking at $1K minimum
If you need a low impedance injector driver add another couple hundred.
The stock PCM if tuned in speed density is a locked tune with no self correction.

Instead I bought a Holley HP EFI setup. Includes NEW GM engine harness specific to LSx engines. I suck at electrical and installed it within 2 hrs. Loaded up a tune from a buddies engine (which was different 440ci vs. my 427, different injectors/intake/cam/compression etc). Made small edits on the Holley software (simple interface to use) and it fired right up. It runs rich on cold start; however once it reaches 120* coolant temp the WBO2 kicks in and it SELF TUNES/LEARNS.The more you drive it.... the better the tune gets. Plus at part throttle on the freeway you will get great fuel economy. 1st time around the block I had no bucking or surging, etc. No need to pay a tuner their insane amounts they want to tune/retune. Plus I have 2 step built in, boost controller, nitrous controller, traction control, fuel correction, data logging, the list goes on and on.
I paid $1400 for the system.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the feedback. The trans is a Powerglide with a PTC converter, Dana 60 rear, bosch 1000 cc injectors. Car should wiegh about 2300 w/o driver. I did not even think about the Megasquirt or Holley System. I have been always thinking about a factory ECM with harness. I will look into the Holley system and see what I can find. I will probably have to tune in Speed density as with the amount of boost, etc I am not sure the MAF can work. But I am not that sharp on stuff.
Any other thoughts?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Post some pics. I just got my LSx Vega running, https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ega-build.html

I did the PSI harness, stock PCM, and tuned it with HP Tuners. Looking back I wish I would have done a Big Stuff3 or the Holley Dominator. I will probably switch to an aftermarket system come summer.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the feedback. Jim, your Vega looks great. I am from Utah so we are kind of neighbors....I just bought this roller out of California to do the swap with. Here are some pics of the car. It weighed 2030 with a iron block V6, dry sump system and Powerglide. It looks like the Holley system may be what I need.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good meatheadgn. I wish mine was that light. Everytime i work on it, it gets heavier, lol. I think you will be happy with the Holley, everything I heard has been good.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Best solution is whichever hardware and software package you are able to use nd tune. Cheapest is hands down microsquirt ECU and 30 inch pigtail is $340. Get used junkyard connectors and you can be tuning after a few hours of assembling a harness.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

If I go with the Holley is everything I need included in the kit minus the factory sensors? My buddy that has the HP tuners license is probably moving to dallas so I would like to stay away from the stock ECM if possible.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Any negative feedback on the holley system with a turbo and glide? I am planning or running methanol injection also.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

there is a learning curve on all the systems but the Micro2 system by megasquirt i have been using works awesome.

honestly they are all good products, i am just an economical builder.
im just here to say the Microsquirt V3 flat out works great.

the holley wich is more expensive seems to be awesome for other people too, and i think you can get that with a plug and play harness and idle air control etc etc
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by meatheadgn
If I go with the Holley is everything I need included in the kit minus the factory sensors? My buddy that has the HP tuners license is probably moving to dallas so I would like to stay away from the stock ECM if possible.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Any negative feedback on the holley system with a turbo and glide? I am planning or running methanol injection also.
Go to Holley's site, you can order the system part by part, from the ECU to each harness.

What I like about a larger company, customer service. Somebody posted last year about a problem with the Holley coil driver, someone from Holley posted what was being done to correct it and to send the box back to be repair/replaced. Holley has a telephone number, and someone will answer it. I have HP Tuners and wanted to log vehicle speed, made a change to the VSS settings and locked up my PCM. No help from HP Tuners, another 200.00 worth of credits down the drain. It's known problem with THEIR software, got no help from them. They only deal with e-mail, no phone number, if you can't answer one of their dumb questions, they treat you like ****. Like I said, if I could do all over again I would have went a different route, which I probably will very soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECM and Harness for Turbo 408