Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rebuild on my Whipple'd forged LS3 has begun.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild on my Whipple'd forged LS3 has begun.

Here's my LS3 at Pfaff Engines in Huntington Beach CA awaiting its rebuild.

Engine was dropped by the guys at Cunningham Motor Sports in Murietta CA and will be tuned by Ryne once refitted. They're also fitting an ADM twin fuel pump kit and rear bushes while they're at it and have been excellent in helping select the right parts and configuring everything working alongside the guys at Pfaff.

Parts list includes: Callie Rods, Moly Pistons and Rings, ARP Mains Bolts and Head Studs, Comp Cams Rough Idle Blower Cam, Valve Springs, Push Rods, LS7 Lifters, CNC'd Heads, 102mm Throttle Body, Whipple 8 Rib Pulley Kit with 3.5" Blower Pulley and Innovators West Balancer, Melling High Volume Oil Pump.

Existing includes: Whipple, FIC 80lb Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, Mantic Clutch, GTO Clutch Reservoir, Tik Performance Clutch Line and Remote Bleeder, CAI Intake, ADM Race Scoop, 1" 7/8 Headers, 3" Exhaust, Hurst Shifter.

Pfaff have been building some of the toughest racing marine, trophy truck and sand buggy engines in SoCal for 40 years! My engine is tame compared to the 1600 + HP things they build. If you like serious horsepower check out their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/PfaffandBaca?ref=ts&fref=ts

Anyone that can build an engine of that sort of power that can sit on redline for long periods of time and withstand the harsh conditions pounding through the ocean or over sand dunes have my vote of confidence!

Throw in the on-street expertise of CMS and Ryne's excellent tuning abilities and I'm grinning from ear to ear. Can't wait!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Teching In

They found my problem

This and 3 others that were worse:

Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a nice build. Any updates? What size Whipple is that? What size motor are you building?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss performance
Sounds like a nice build. Any updates? What size Whipple is that? What size motor are you building?
Engine now complete and ready to go back to CMS to be installed and tuned by Ryne.

Staying with stock cubes ... Had to draw the line somewhere. Didn't end up doing heads (went for comp grind but not CNC) and throttle body (can do that later).

Decided to be content with staying around 700rwhp and spend the money on things to make it stronger and more reliable like ARP bolts, Melling HV oil pump, Mantic twin plate clutch, 8 rib pulley kit and ADM twin fuel pump.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

Comp Cams rough idle blower cam? Curious as to specs of that one. Sounds like a stout build. Best of luck to you
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Comp Cams rough idle blower cam? Curious as to specs of that one. Sounds like a stout build. Best of luck to you
Thanks!

Yeah it should be pretty bullet proof. Gordy Jennings from Pfaff is the most hard core engine builder I've ever met. Most of his engines end up in racing boats, high performance open water powerboats, trophy trucks or sand buggies. He's been doing it there for over 15-20 years I believe. He was 7 times national champion in K-Boat class and was known as "Mr K-Boat".

Anyone that can build an engine that can put out 1800hp and sit on redline in harsh conditions for long lengths of time has my vote. AND do that when you are the one who'll be sitting a few inches in front of the thing screaming on water. Crazy!

It is a Comp Cams rough idle blower cam ... but its a variation of ... a custom grind by Ryne Cunningham at Cunningham Motorsports.

Send him a PM if you're interested. I'll be posting the dyno run once its done too, so you'll see the numbers.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Here is one of the PFAFF coil covers that are going on. Will look great with the polished Whipple!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Sweet ... wish they could fit something like that beauty under em F-Body Hood's.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Teching In

OK ... here's the carnage ... broken ring lands in 3 out of 4 pistons on the driver's side.

So Ryne at CMS called me yesterday ... he figured out why the driver's side bank ran lean and broke 3 out of 4 ring lands.

The Whipple kit feeds fuel into the passenger's side fuel rail then loops into the driver's side rail with hoses front and rear. Problem is the internal diameter of the connectors is only about 3/16".

We all know that the stock SS pump is notorious for not keeping up at WOT ... even with a the supplied MSD BAP. So what happens ... fuel pressure runs low and favors the passenger side and starves the driver side.

Easy fix ... remove and block the original fitting and install larger fittings to the front (or rear) of the fuel rails and feed them directly from a Y-connector. Keep the loop at the other end. That way you are totally sure that both rails are getting an even feed.

Now it probably would have been OK with my new ADM twin pump kit ... but why risk it when it is such a simple fix. I'm thinking it should also make tuning easier / more accurate too as injectors will all be getting an equal feed.

Thanks Ryne!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch!!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Don't want to highjack your post, but is CMS open on Mondays?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss performance
Any updates?
Engine is back in the car, TB was too small so waiting on TPIS to ship out the correct working one. The first one didn't work
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by supermaro
Engine is back in the car, TB was too small so waiting on TPIS to ship out the correct working one. The first one didn't work
Yep ... then the new blade arrived for the TB and now that is scraping on the inside of the TB!

Errrrrghhhhhhhh! ... I want to drive the bloody thing!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sealbeach1
Don't want to highjack your post, but is CMS open on Mondays?

Thanks
Every week day. Ryne is typically there by 9am.

Quick Reply: Rebuild on my Whipple'd forged LS3 has begun.