Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo compressor and turbine differences.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo compressor and turbine differences.

Figured I would ask this question here and hopefully can get some good input from Martin@Tick and others.

What do you think are the main differences in spool/power or pros/cons of using the following compressor wheels

Garrett 11 blade style
PTE 6/12 style
BW 7/14 style

For turbine wheels
1) Which side of the turbine wheel affects spool? ind/exd
2) Which side dictates the power that the wheel can flow? ind/exd
3) Would a straight cut turbine wheel (ind/exd the same) - trim=1 be better for high performance applications than a wheel with trim?
4) If trim is preferred how much is ideal?
5) What affects spool more, the turbine wheel or the housing? I know martin prefers big turbine tight housing but sometimes (from what i seen) too tight will choke down the turbine and make it more linear.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo
Figured I would ask this question here and hopefully can get some good input from Martin@Tick and others.

What do you think are the main differences in spool/power or pros/cons of using the following compressor wheels

Garrett 11 blade style
PTE 6/12 style
BW 7/14 style

I7
For turbine wheels
1) Which side of the turbine wheel affects spool? ind/exd
2) Which side dictates how much power that the wheel can flow? ind/exd
3) Would a straight cut turbine wheel (ind/exd the same) - trim=1 be better for high performance applications than a wheel with trim?
4) If trim is preferred how much is ideal?
5) What affects spool more, the turbine wheel or the housing? I know martin prefers big turbine tight housing but sometimes (from what i seen) too tight will choke down the turbine and make it more linear.

As far as the compressor wheels are concerned I honestly can't answer that because I've never tested it and which one in a test environment with all other variables controlled would spool faster. Jose@forced inductions could answer that one better than me. As for your turbine questions I have had customers play with and test different wheels and housings with my guidance so I feel I can answer those questions.

1) I would have to say both sides.
2) both
3) a wheel with trim has been shown to be more efficient and flow more than an older design straight cut wheel.
4) application specific, I leave the design of the wheel and what works best to the engineers at each turbo manufacturer that I like to use. Jose could help here more than I can.
5) I believe one you reach a turbine size that your comfortable with and know will work well on a given engine size that the housing will affect spool characteristics more so than the wheel. Of course if you go putting a g trim pt106 on your 346 no matter how tight the housing it will be slower to spool than a bws475 t6 1.32 96mm wheel turbo. That said, the wheel size will determine how long it takes to build a set amount of boost but the housing can also greatly influence how quick or how violent that boost "comes on".
Old 02-03-2014, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys make of this turbine wheel information in regards to their straight vs contoured wheel comment. Saying their straight design is better.

http://compturbo.com/technology (more info here)

The Comp Turbo turbine wheels are a unique design in that they have vanes that are constant in outside diameter from inlet to exit. This design feature maximizes the flow capacity of a given size wheel and allows the use of reasonably small turbine wheels on large-size engines. One of the largest losses in small turbine wheel design is the leaving gas velocity, which is unrecoverable energy and is dissipated in the atmosphere when the exhaust gas leaves the turbine casing. The Comp Turbo full-bladed turbine wheels have minimal leaving velocity due to the large exit area, thus their leaving losses are minimized, leading to higher turbine efficiency and greater flow range than contoured turbine wheels. Conventional twin flow and undivided turbine casings are available to match different engine exhaust manifold systems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo compressor and turbine differences.