My build is FINALLY starting...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Default My build is FINALLY starting...

Well...

I just purchased a 2001 LS1 for $500!!!

Got it from a dude in a FB forum Im on...

So... He claims 70000 miles and low oil pressure. He admits to pinching the o-ring on the pickup tube. I spun the motor over and it SEEMS ok. I will receive it in 2 weeks. I will tear into it then...

Im thinking 317 heads, some sort of MLS gasket, ARP studs, ARP rod bolts and an LS6 intake...

This is just the beginning. Sorry, I couldnt pass up an LS1 for $500. I wanted an LM7 or LQ4. Deal came along and I had the $$$$

Im open for advice. This will be a SLOOOOOOW project due to $$$$ and the fact that I will be moving soon (divorce)...

Need advice fellas/ladies. Ask questions for my intentions. Im a lil intoxicated and I dont wanna misspell too many words... LOL!

Oh... I plan on building it with a turbo...

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goals for the setup?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Low 10-second car. Drive-able. I dont know if this motor will get me there but Imma have fun trying!

The idea was to try and keep a manual transmission in the car but after everything I have read, I might just throw in the towel and go auto.

Ive got my mind set on running a BorgWarner S400sx4. T4. 83mm or 87mm turbine and 1.10 AR.

Im trying to find a 200r4. The 4L80E option would be nice but fitment into a 3rd Gen F-body isnt pretty. Unless someone comes out with a tranny mount/torque arm setup for the 3rd gens...

Megasquirt has been really attractive. Ive watched what Denmah has done. So... Thats the route I think I wanna take. No emissions to worry about (MD state, historic tags).

Am I on a good track???
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be running an s400sx 78/87 1.10 a/r. Should be ordering it any day now so that I can start some fab work on the hot side. It'll be in a 4th gen though. I'm a little worried about the aluminum block but the machine work is done. If I start having piston ring issues ill throw the rotating assembly into a 3.905 bore iron block.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaydubb
Well...

I just purchased a 2001 LS1 for $500!!!

Got it from a dude in a FB forum Im on...

So... He claims 70000 miles and low oil pressure. He admits to pinching the o-ring on the pickup tube. I spun the motor over and it SEEMS ok. I will receive it in 2 weeks. I will tear into it then...

Im thinking 317 heads, some sort of MLS gasket, ARP studs, ARP rod bolts and an LS6 intake...

This is just the beginning. Sorry, I couldnt pass up an LS1 for $500. I wanted an LM7 or LQ4. Deal came along and I had the $$$$

Im open for advice. This will be a SLOOOOOOW project due to $$$$ and the fact that I will be moving soon (divorce)...

Need advice fellas/ladies. Ask questions for my intentions. Im a lil intoxicated and I dont wanna misspell too many words... LOL!

Oh... I plan on building it with a turbo...

Thanks in advance!

If the motor still has an intake on it, it already has an LS6 intake
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
If the motor still has an intake on it, it already has an LS6 intake
No intake. Dude already said he was keeping it. I tried...

Quick Reply: My build is FINALLY starting...