Beast. Is coming along great!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice wheel setup!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the complements guys. Well I went and bought new filter and fluid for the trans. Put new filter and gasket in trans and buttoned it all up. So the trans is all ready to go back in. I also received my crankshaft back and put the crank back in along with new mains and rod bearings. New pan gasket along with front and rear mains and cover seals. I had the hot side all done but once I was done with it I was not sure that I liked the idea of not havng any flex joins in it. I had a couple new flex joints that I bought for this build just was not sure if I was going to use them. I ended up cutting the crossover and installing one on each side. I feel better about the stress factor. I am runing spohn solid mounts so I will have to make a brace for the turbo (no big deal). I am working on te car today Sat, Sun. I have big hopes on getting lots of work done. Here are some pictures for you.

Line lock and abs delete done

Sorry this picture is kinda bad. I just have my cell with me out in my shop.

Like I said I did modify the crossover from this picture. I installed two flex joints. I also wrapped everything. I will post pictures later my computer is being a piece right now and is very slow. I will post this before I lose it haha.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Got a lot done this weekend.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your going to have trouble controlling boost with the gate placed where you have it.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Where would have been a better spot? I would have thought right in the merge would be fine. Guess I was wrong.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Two gates, one on each bank. Just went through this on a similiar kit I built for "Jakson" on here. Single Precision 46 with slightly better placement than yours wouldnt control below 16. Going to use two 46's instead.

Super clean build and I love the wheels with the black top!!! Im putting a PT88 on my 5.3 so Im anxious to see your results too.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Two gates, one on each bank. Just went through this on a similiar kit I built for "Jakson" on here. Single Precision 46 with slightly better placement than yours wouldnt control below 16. Going to use two 46's instead.

Super clean build and I love the wheels with the black top!!! Im putting a PT88 on my 5.3 so Im anxious to see your results too.
Dang that sucks for me lol. You think I should even try it or should i just order another gate and take the kit off and reposition the gates like you said?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFB
Dang that sucks for me lol. You think I should even try it or should i just order another gate and take the kit off and reposition the gates like you said?
Depends on how low of boost you need to run.

Like I said, Jakson just went through this with a PT8847 on a 330ci LS and wouldnt control under 16. Swapped the turbo kit out for the one off my Nova which has perfect gate placement and would only control to 13ish with the same size wg and the lightest spring. So some of it was placement and some is just undersized gate for an 88. If your going to run it around on bonzai boost all the time like I do dont worry about it. If you NEED 8-10 psi, better change it now.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Thank you for the heads up. I already have everything on the car so I think I will try it and see where I'm at and then make the decision. If I could keep it around 15 I would be happy with that for me lowest psi. Worst case I have to pull it off and order one more gate and do a little fab work. The only reason the car would have ever seen boost as low as 8-10 would be to just start tuning then cranking it up. So I will more then likely be able to deal with it. I will just cross fingers and hope the 44mm will keep me at 15ish.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said a tial 44mm gate? I also think thats too small as well since you are on an 88 turbo. I think you need either a 60 or a 66 gate and it needs to be placed where air is forced into it, not just by it.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
You said a tial 44mm gate? I also think thats too small as well since you are on an 88 turbo. I think you need either a 60 or a 66 gate and it needs to be placed where air is forced into it, not just by it.
Your probably right. I think I'm going to try it with the single 44mm and see what I have. Only because its already wrapped and on the car. If it doesn't do what I need it to do I think twin 44's will be the the route in will take. Has anyone heard any problems with the Huron kits and wastegate location issues? That seems to be in the same location as mine straight into the merge.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your probably right. I think I'm going to try it with the single 44mm and see what I have. Only because its already wrapped and on the car. If it doesn't do what I need it to do I think twin 44's will be the the route in will take. Has anyone heard any problems with the Huron kits and wastegate location issues? That seems to be in the same location as mine straight into the merge.
I honestly would probably do the same thing. I know ls1Kurt who posted above had some boost control problems until he went with a bigger gate. If you shoot for 16 and it goes 18 then I guess its no big deal. Good luck and ready to see what she does.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

I guess we will find out lol. I started to wire the versafueler today but my kids tore me away to play some wii games with them haha. I didnt mind because my solder gun was being a pos. So I have Tuesday off this week and I hope to get the versafueler wired and fluids in the trans and motor load the 2 bar os and make fire. If everything goes as plan. I have been looking for a nice spot to mount my vacuum line distribution block but have not found a place that looks half way nice. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 46mm gate on mine and it will control down to 7psi. Haven't tried lower yet, and I wasn't going to. Not sure why Jakson's (or even the nova kit) won't control that low, but mine seems to be fine... For what it's worth.

Here's the only pictures I really have of it

Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Wow thats pretty good. I wonder if it just has to do with complete engine combo as far as back pressure, cam, heads, ect.. Mine is about the same as yours however I do have a 90 degree turn on mine. I could always cut that off and go direct with a flange. I am going to give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks for posting that. Gives me a little hope haha. What size turbo is that in the picture is that a 88?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow thats pretty good. I wonder if it just has to do with complete engine combo as far as back pressure, cam, heads, ect.. Mine is about the same as yours however I do have a 90 degree turn on mine. I could always cut that off and go direct with a flange. I am going to give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks for posting that. Gives me a little hope haha. What size turbo is that in the picture is that a 88?
The reason it doesnt control at your location is because its on the wrong side of the merge, all the air is on the back side of the pipes and doesn't want to flow in the gate. If you put the gate(even your 46mm) on the other side of the merge I bet it would control perfect. A setup with alot of back pressure will usually be easier to control. When i switched to a full open exhaust I couldn't keep it under 20+ psi opposed to it only creeping to around 16psi with full exhaust.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Pretty nice build. In for results.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a PT88. Someone told me in my build thread that wastegate wouldn't be large enough... I was a bit worried about it until the first time I tried it out. Ended up working fine for me. Good luck with yours if that's the route you decide to take.

Quick Reply: SBE 346/pt88 turbo build