Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My 73 Camaro Z jy 5.3 & S475 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedrides
That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm cutting up my stock exhaust manifolds right now for a LS turbo swap. Thanks for all the help man, your car is definitely an inspiration to me.
Thanks anytime, do you have a build thread or some pics
Old 01-30-2014, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Razor
HA!! My car is almost a twin of yours. 73, E85, but Whipple and 4l80E. I doubt mine will run with yours though. Whipple 2.3 @ 13 lbs,, 6 liter with 10.5 comp, BTR 3 blower cam, 2" headers, E85, 3K Yank, Ford 9" w/ 3.70 gear. Stop light fun! Still working on tune and gremlins. Track this spring.

Lol, that is a great looking car. The whipple looks nasty sitting under the hood. That thing should run very well with a track purpose tire on the back. Are you able to tune the car yourself. The Holley EFI setup is really tough to beat for anyone that wants to tune there own car. I had my car together 3 days and drove it on the street for a few hours before i went to the track for the first time. The self learning feature is so strong that my fuel compensation values were under 3% across the board after just a few hours of driving and highway pulls. It can really make the job of tuning the car easier, especially on the street and under boost.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a local guy tuning it for me. I originally wanted to go turbo but the only person I knew who could do the job kept pushing back start dates. I finally had enough and bought the blower. Probably kick myself later for not having waited. But, I see a direct port nitrous kit with these blowers make serious power... if the blower isn't enough. Just shooting for mid to low tens.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 73turbo53
Lol, definately keep that shaker. any of the lower car style intakes will work great for you. i went with the truck intake originally because it was free, but now it has really grew on me. its nice because i can run my fuel return and breather lines under it.

Yeah Im planning on an ls1 intake. The only issue I run into then is making sure the alternator fits under the hood. Also I want to keep the power steering, so I'll have to build the hotside around it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Razor
I have a local guy tuning it for me. I originally wanted to go turbo but the only person I knew who could do the job kept pushing back start dates. I finally had enough and bought the blower. Probably kick myself later for not having waited. But, I see a direct port nitrous kit with these blowers make serious power... if the blower isn't enough. Just shooting for mid to low tens.
Holy crap that car is nice. I would be interested to see the results. Unless you totally have no traction i cant see how you cant go mid 10s.
Nice job!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Been a while since i updated this thread but here are the latest passes down the track.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is on 20lbs of the foot brake leaving on 5lbs. The car dead hooks and is really consistent with that slow 60'. Without a intercooler the IAT temps are 300* so i am pulling a lot of timing to keep her a live. Next plans are to keep tuning the boost builder feature to leave on as much boost as the chassis will handle. Then this winter install my new holley hi ram and a intercooler.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very cool build, and the track times to back it up. Nice work!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:34 PM
Teching In

I read your thread, great setup. I am putting together a similar setup on a Nova. What wastegate and BOV did you use? I like the budget concept, so looking for some insight. Thanks!

Quick Reply: My 73 Camaro Z jy 5.3 & S475 build