Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which heads to choose

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which heads to choose

I'm looking to build 408 6.0 iron block soon and want to put a procharger on it down the road i was wondering what kind of power I could expect from a tsp setup something like the prc 237cc heads and whichever cam would be the best. Do the tsp heads flow enough? Should I go with trick flow or afr instead?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Launching!

You are going to get all kinds of answers, everyone has a different opinion. Use the search and check out some of the results people have come up with. Im a fan of the TFS/AFR heads.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

have been looking at the TSP heads also .. they look like great heads and flow close to the other aftermarket heads out there.. myself i am join with the as cast 225 heads for my 347.

no matter what path you take im sure you will make big power and be happy
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the Trick Flow 235's.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

You are bigger than 4" bore. I woud take advantage of some LS3 style heads. Hard to mess with a 260 cc as cast runner. For forced induction you dont need to worry about the port velocity quite so much espescially with the cubes you have. I would throw the biggest runners on top of that bottom as I could fit and run less boost more CFM.

Remeber all the rules change when you go under pressure. Those CNC heads are very expensive and give you a massive gain naturally aspirated because they are engineered and designed to have air pulled through. Now your pushing it through. You could probably find some GM as cast heads for 1/3 of the price as what you are about to pay for those aftermarkets.

If you were N.A I would say 100% buy the TFS but for what you are doing I feel some square ports will be cheaper and do the job just as well if not better. I am by no means knocking anything that is just my opinion on port velocity and F.I. I have ran he TFS and Darts with no complaints. I am just saying for big cubes there are other options for you.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with 237's because there are not alot of people running them, and one look into the quality and attention to detail with the valves, and clearances, I was sold. AFR, TFS, and MAST have all been proven to be great cylinder heads. PRC is a little newer to the market, and I don't mind being a guinea pig. I got mine on sale, and they came with badass .675 dual valvesprings.

Think they are a 13.5* angle.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1sick-Z
You are bigger than 4" bore. I woud take advantage of some LS3 style heads. Hard to mess with a 260 cc as cast runner. For forced induction you dont need to worry about the port velocity quite so much espescially with the cubes you have. I would throw the biggest runners on top of that bottom as I could fit and run less boost more CFM.

Remeber all the rules change when you go under pressure. Those CNC heads are very expensive and give you a massive gain naturally aspirated because they are engineered and designed to have air pulled through. Now your pushing it through. You could probably find some GM as cast heads for 1/3 of the price as what you are about to pay for those aftermarkets.

If you were N.A I would say 100% buy the TFS but for what you are doing I feel some square ports will be cheaper and do the job just as well if not better. I am by no means knocking anything that is just my opinion on port velocity and F.I. I have ran he TFS and Darts with no complaints. I am just saying for big cubes there are other options for you.
so your saying that since i plan on doing f/i i could just go with ls3 heads and save some $$ i was planning on building the motor running it for a couple years then doing the f/i would there be that much of a power difference against and aftermarket head when n/a? id like to be around 500whp before f/i if possible
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Think I'm getting some Mast heads for my Briggs 416 stroker. Going forced induction next winter hopefully.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've always had goodluck with Afr they seem to have a real thick deck which is good for boosted applications. But everyone will say something diffrent all of the heads you've been looking at will do the job.

Quick Reply: Which heads to choose