Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

'84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Nice....there better be videos associated with it!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Better be videos associated with both of these!!!
Well after a long thrash, I am missing some much needed fuel system parts and will have them next week. Start up will happen then WITH a video of course.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Drat!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Drat!
soon my friend.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Just a few updates for tonight. Like a dumbass I forgot to get a couple things to get the heads on and somehow lost two of the four cylinder head dowel pins so the heads aren't going on for a bit. I also need a new cam retainer plate so the waiting game begins. On a positive note the engine looks great inside. The only negative I can see, and I would like the forum's opinion here was the #3 cam journal from the original cam. I am not sure if this is necessarily a problem being that is is a junkyard motor, but since I am installing a brand new Tick $400 cam I don't want it giving up the ghost in a week. Here's a pic of it:

You cannot feel anything on the journal at all. It feels like the rest but is the only one that looks this way...the rest of the cam looks fantastic. Should I be worried about this guy or just stab that thang in there and get down to business?

Did a little a cleaning up of the block and gave it a coat of paint and clear...it will probably all burn off but its good for now.

I will have more pics tomorrow when I get a little more time to work on it. It is all stripped down now. The above pics were with my phone so they are a little erratic...haha.

More to come!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

You never ran this motor before have you?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

You never ran this motor before have you?
Nope, fresh out of the yard with 120k on it...plans now are leaning towards forged bottom end, more compression 110 race gas and as much boost as that cam wants!!!!!

Martin, how much will a glide hurt the combo...if at all?

Dave
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

I don't think a glide will hurt the combo at all if you have the right rear gear to make it work. With your power level a 3.90 rear gear would be perfect IMO. Leaving on 12-15psi would make for some very quick short times and on a radial would be very fast indeed.

Only reason I asked about the motor being run, is if it had good oil pressure before you tore into it and discovered that cam bearing, I would run it. What probably happened is at one point in time some trash got in there and embedded itself into the bearing. This is what the bearing is suppose to do as it is softer than the cam journal it protects. Once it embedded itself it scraped the cam journal as such can be seen in the picture your provided.

As I said though, if it had good oil pressure, I'd run it.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think a glide will hurt the combo at all if you have the right rear gear to make it work. With your power level a 3.90 rear gear would be perfect IMO. Leaving on 12-15psi would make for some very quick short times and on a radial would be very fast indeed.

Only reason I asked about the motor being run, is if it had good oil pressure before you tore into it and discovered that cam bearing, I would run it. What probably happened is at one point in time some trash got in there and embedded itself into the bearing. This is what the bearing is suppose to do as it is softer than the cam journal it protects. Once it embedded itself it scraped the cam journal as such can be seen in the picture your provided.

As I said though, if it had good oil pressure, I'd run it.
See dammit....this is what I argued with the machinist....I'm a friggin mechanical engineer and tried to explain to him the purpose of the bearings in the first place. I also feel though that if you pull the thing apart then I might as well do the thing right and put a little effort into cleaning it up.

It was verified with good oil pressure from the yard I got it from. Worst case scenario is I start it up...oil pressure blows, then I shut her down and get it off the dyno.

OK I will run it then...and see what's what.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Well I have made a little bit of progress and few purchases for both strength and longevity.

After going back and forth a while on what tranny to run...then spending some time at the Summernationals at Etown...well I just decided to step to some more big time parts: ATI SFI flexplate and spacer, ATI SFI Bell, SFI Powerglide Supercase, and Powerglide Tail. For now this will be good for mock-up then when I taken the 5.3L to the engine dyno, I will also send the trans back to ATI for the guts...which will be good to 1800 HP!

I plan on going with a 27in MT Drag Radial at least at first or possibly a 28x9 Slick.

I am hoping to have the engine to the dyno in a month or so...have a few big purchases to still make - turbo, injectors, WG, BOV, intercooler...the list goes on and on....

On to the pics!!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 PM
FormerVendor

Very nice trans set-up Dave!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Took the oil pan over to get a couple 10AN bungs welded on so that I can have some options and block off the other unused port....or go to twins some day.

Anyway, should have pics of that on Saturday.

Right now I am waiting on the damn countersunk cam retainer bolts. Didn't realize that what I ordered from Summit was the new version that has different hardware. Oh well...hopefully it will be here tomorrow. In the mean time I getting my intercooler system spec'd up. I am going with a Frozen Boost set-up with twin fans and a 90-deg A2W intercooler. I am adding the ice tank as well to make sure I am always in prime condition. I will be upgrading everything from their standard kit to make sure I get the best possible fit in my car. Yes this is much more race car than street car, but I will be engine dynoing the motor and one of the tunes will be LOW boost so and intercooler would not be needed. I'll call it the parade tune.

This is the actual A2W intercooler I am going with:

Reservoir for my ice bags...gotta stay cool in the lanes when its 1000-deg out!

Also upgrading the pump...

Should have completed engine pics for this weekend! Stay tuned, cam will be installed!

Last edited by BanditDave; 06-06-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Regular

great updates, that trans is a beast
Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i should have never sold my cutlass......

threads like this just kill my insides with regret
Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by b16gsr
great updates, that trans is a beast
Originally Posted by T76s10
i should have never sold my cutlass......

threads like this just kill my insides with regret
Thanks guys!!

T76, don't beat yourself up too bad. I have already done two LS swaps in two different cars that were basically done and had to sell them before I could enjoy them...this one I am going to take my time withs o I don't break the bank then have to sell it before I can make a few 100 passes in it...haha.

Got the oil pan back today all ready to go...I put two 10AN fittings on it because I am all over the place with decisions sometimes. I also like to do things once and be done so for the current set-up I can decide once the engine is in the car as to where I can get away with the turbo mount. Guy did a great job for a few bucks. I'll just cap the other side that isn't used.

On a side note, I ordered 4 of the new-style camshaft retainer bolts (countersunk-style) for my engine so I can get the engine done this weekend. This was on MONDAY...they still haven't shown up from Florida...I'm a litte peeved about that because it will be another lost weekend. I will at leats try to get as much done as I can until they show up.

Oh well on to the pics...

Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

OK....now we're cooking with grease. Got a lot done on the engine reassembly today. Will wrap up few more things tomorrow and stab the engine and trans case into the car for turbo mock up.

I first stripped down the bock again because I hated the way the aluminum paint looked. I used cast iron with clear over top of it. I think it is MUCH better.

Bottom end looks good...I am really surprised for 120000 miles...rings should be ripe for boost.

It's camming time!!! Tick camming time to be specific!

Installed!

Now on to the timing gear, chain, oil pump, pickup, Pan and Front Cover. I also added a BRP Hotrods oil pickup girdle (a cheap piece of mind investment IMO).

Old 06-08-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

lookin damned good.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Let's get those heads on....finally!!! Lifters and trays installed and LS9 head gaskets waiting to be squashed...

A few ARP bolts and lube later....

LS6 Valley Cover laid on top

Edelbrock Super Victor intake and 95-degree elbow

Tomorrow will be Pushrods, rockers, valve covers, final placement of Valley Cover and Super Victor.

Stay tuned...time for bed...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by b16gsr
lookin damned good.
Snuck in there before I finished my posting...lol. I knew someone was going to do that...haha

Thanks a lot though...it feels really good to finally see that damn thing back together.

Dave
Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 AM
FormerVendor

Looks great Dave!!!!

Quick Reply: '84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's