Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

'84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSZ
Looks good. You going to use a flex piece in there?
Yessir, two of them. On the passenger side coming down from the first bend and on the driver's side feed it will be right in front of the motor.

Gate placement should get interesting in a hurry...haha.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Small update for you. Big changes lately have slowed progress on the car...good thing it was a great reason! Meet my bestest little man and future car guy, my son, John Michael Turowski!

I couldn't be happier!!! Mom and baby are doing well.

As far as the car...

Cleaned up and installed bezels on the wheels and installed one wheel to check the sleeper vibe. I'm definitely digging it!

I also installed the Fuel Injector Clinic injectors...super high quality, all glow matched and data provided. Edelbrock rails were also installed. Pretty happy how everything is turning out. It's slow but steady and I'm happy with the quality.

You can see the truck throttle body in these pics. I will be replacing the sensors and cleaning up the throttle body, probably throwing on some paint most likely.

More updates soon!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! I've got a 4 month old of my own, yeah it slows the car progress, but so much fun! Car time will come back.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Big update for today with more to come tomorrow. Basically Christmas for me over the last few weeks and should be getting a few more big ticket items today.

Since I am going for the "serious sleeper" look, I have been obsessing about getting all the right appearance items for the Olds Superstock III wheels and have painted them in body color with deep dish trim rings. They got 255/60-15 MT ET Street Radials and I am extremely happy with how they turned out. Really set's off the "grandma's cruiser" motif I am shooting for.

Also picked up the Transgo HD2 shift kit for the '80e and should should be installing it this weekend/next week (took off from work to be with my family and enjoy some of the toys). Looks pretty straight forward to install and plan on documenting with videos and pics how to install it for those interested.

I should have a pic of the RevMax 3400 Stall billet converter I also purchased last week today or tomorrow. For now you'll have to enjoy a stock photo...haha.

Also picked up a new 200 amp alternator which should easily handle all the electrical goodies I have for this deal.

I have had a FuelLab Prodigy pump for the longest time that I wanted to use for this build and recently found out about their FPR with the integral voltage controller for Prodigy pumps...controls the speed wrt pump demand...ugh, yea...I'll take one of those.

And on to the more gooder shtuff - turbo goodies!!!

Turbonetics 50mm BOV

2 Precision 39mm Gates

I also have some various 2.25" Vband flanges and a huge box of 2.25" tubing to redo my hotside piping. I want to position this car with the best possible set-up so I figured I would give this a try.

Hopefully tonight I will add Converter and Tubing pics and this weekend start the Transgo install tutorial.

Thanks in advance!!!
Dave
Old 11-19-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Here's the converter and huge piping box as promised.

3400 stall RevMax

And the tubing...

Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Teching In

very interested in how that revmax convertor works out. i thought however you had a powerglide going in the car?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

A few months back I decided I wanted the overdrive and scored a 20000 mile rebuilt 80e for pennies. Sold what I had for the glide which was only the super case. Wanted to keep 3.73s and drive to the track. This became a nice compromise and keeps the sleeper motif.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

please take a pic of the receipt from Columbia river,so we know whay to buy....congrats with the boy...life has now gone to a higher level
Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tta656
please take a pic of the receipt from Columbia river,so we know whay to buy....congrats with the boy...life has now gone to a higher level
It is their ultimate builders kit in mild steel...trying to save pennies where I can.

The little guy is awesome. Goofy like his dad...

Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Finally have an update...progress has been slow because most of the time is dedicated to family and working but did get the TransGo HD2 shift kit installed. Picking up a fresh filter and gasket tomorrow and buttoning her up. Will drop the Rev Max converter on and bolt it up to the 5.3L. More to come soon!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much did that converter set you back if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by a-low
How much did that converter set you back if you don't mind me asking?
No problem! It was $795 plus shipping from RevMax...their stage 5 converter.

They were selling them thru eBay for awhile and I had done gift certificates plus a PayPal balance from stuff I sold prior so I gave it a whirl. Looks like a decent product and read mostly good reviews so what the hell??!! At the rate I am going I should have some reviews on it by summer...haha.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Just a heads up in case you missed it but in the lower left of the first picture of your valve body I see the hole for the TransGO pressure relief valve drilled but the plate/valve is not installed.

Sweet build, looking forward to more pics.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GTO Eric
Just a heads up in case you missed it but in the lower left of the first picture of your valve body I see the hole for the TransGO pressure relief valve drilled but the plate/valve is not installed.

Sweet build, looking forward to more pics.
Yea, good catch...haha. I noticed that one too as I took the shot. It has since been corrected, but was too lazy to update the shot. Now that you called me on it, it must be done! Hahaha...

Dave

Last edited by BanditDave; 01-28-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: I can't spell fo sheeeeiiiiiit
Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Tranny is DONE! Fingers crossed... And for Eric at least a couple pics of the PRV.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Teching In

where did you get the an fittings for the trans?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadWolf
where did you get the an fittings for the trans?
Sweet Performance off of eBay. Put the below in the search box and plenty of other folks should come up also:

6AN 4L80E GM transmission cooler fittings

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the point of the long tube on that fitting?

Most trans cooler lines I've seen are just -6 straight cut o ring fittings.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killernoodle
What is the point of the long tube on that fitting?

Most trans cooler lines I've seen are just -6 straight cut o ring fittings.
For the 4L80e transmission it is required in the rear cooler line. This is due to where the fluid must go once it enters the transmission. If a standard fitting is used, it does not flow to the internal location where it is required and merely drips into the case cause your trans to burn up.

Again, this is 80e specific.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Sweet Performance off of eBay. Put the below in the search box and plenty of other folks should come up also:

6AN 4L80E GM transmission cooler fittings

Thanks,
Dave
perfect! thanks!

Quick Reply: '84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's