Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

If you know how to wastegate a procharger come in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you know how to wastegate a procharger come in.

I'm getting ready to buy a Prochager setup for my car. I have been looking for info on using a wastegate to control/Adj. boost on a procharger. Anyone on here done that before? I know it can be done but have no clue how to do it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BUMP.........This is something that I would like to know also.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

GM HI TECH.. Jan/12 Pge 36..........
Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id think youd place it as if it were a BOV. So it needs to be on the compressef side of the charge pipe.
And youll just plum it as if it were a raguler wastgate.
So manifold pressure to the bottom port and you boost contoler to the top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put a 44mm waste gate before the inercooler 11psi spring and it would brake around 13psi
Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

^ that

W/G before the IC..

just pulley down the blower. if its a D1, go with like a 3.8" pulley. Itll spin the blower quickly in the lower rpm range but the WG will crack open limiting ur boost. You could also do a eboost 2 controller to manage it better. id run a meth kit for some safety also if ur on a stock bottom.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything about this is interesting to me, and i like it, other than the fact that there is apparently a need to pulley the blower up. I like running max rpm on the blower. that's where they make the power.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
everything about this is interesting to me, and i like it, other than the fact that there is apparently a need to pulley the blower up. I like running max rpm on the blower. that's where they make the power.
If your able to max the blower out on ur motor without any issues, this wont benefit you at all. this is for guys with stock bottoms wanting the most performance they can get out of 8-10psi... You spin the blower to its max, which would usually creat some high boost numbers, and you limit the boost pressure to the desired 8-10 with a wastegate. it allows some bottom end torque to come into play with the blower coming alive so quickly on the car.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Im not saying this to be an ***, but search. I just searched "wastegate on supercharger" and found probably 10 threads, i was actually looking for a specific thread from a few years ago that had TONS of info in, i remember posting the link a few times.

Here is one thread i think had some good info. Serious though, their was on thread that went on for like 15 pages with people who have done it with great results. I seem to remember a guy with a corvette posting pictures of his wastegate and using like an eboost to control it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...etup-d1sc.html
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

I havent posted my results yet but here is mine 3.4 pulley max boost set at 11psi. Lets just call it instant boost :-)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

35th, any videos man? People will wanna see
Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
35th, any videos man? People will wanna see

I will have some videos up late next week hopefully.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by allout06
^ that

W/G before the IC..

just pulley down the blower. if its a D1, go with like a 3.8" pulley. Itll spin the blower quickly in the lower rpm range but the WG will crack open limiting ur boost. You could also do a eboost 2 controller to manage it better. id run a meth kit for some safety also if ur on a stock bottom.
I will be running a F-1X. Motor is a 410ci LSX. I am new to the Supercharged world. What pulley would I need for this type of a setup?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
If your able to max the blower out on ur motor without any issues, this wont benefit you at all. this is for guys with stock bottoms wanting the most performance they can get out of 8-10psi... You spin the blower to its max, which would usually creat some high boost numbers, and you limit the boost pressure to the desired 8-10 with a wastegate. it allows some bottom end torque to come into play with the blower coming alive so quickly on the car.
That is actually the exact opposite of why they came up with it. And BTW, anyone using it for this purpose is ignorant as they are working the motor at max resistance without getting max boost.

The reason to do this is to ramp the power in on the launch when you are making more power than the track can handle.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
That is actually the exact opposite of why they came up with it. And BTW, anyone using it for this purpose is ignorant as they are working the motor at max resistance without getting max boost.

The reason to do this is to ramp the power in on the launch when you are making more power than the track can handle.
Am I understanding right, that it is a bad ideal to run a wastegate on the supercharger?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Explain your statement in bold. No matter what a wastgated centrifugal setup was "originally" designed for makes no difference. Pulleying down and bleeding off boost works great to make a fun torquey car. Only downside is the increase in air temp because of spinning the blower harder.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

So I wouldn't be able to run a low boost pulley and use the wastegate to get the higher boost numbers?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
Explain your statement in bold. No matter what a wastgated centrifugal setup was "originally" designed for makes no difference. Pulleying down and bleeding off boost works great to make a fun torquey car. Only downside is the increase in air temp because of spinning the blower harder.
As you change the size of the pulley you increase/decrease the drag on the motor. When the blower makes more boost, it is creating more parasitic drag and requires more tension on the belt. So you get more side load on the crank and the additional parasitic drag is not being compensated for by any additional boost (because you are bleeding it off up top If I understood your statement correctly). Plus the increase in air temp. It is wasting a tremendous amount of energy in a system that is already not very efficient. The correct solution to the problem you are trying to correct is the proper torque converter with the desired boost level achieved by way of pulley ratio.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by craig382ci
So I wouldn't be able to run a low boost pulley and use the wastegate to get the higher boost numbers?
It works opposite of that.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

As you change the size of the pulley you increase/decrease the drag on the motor. When the blower makes more boost, it is creating more parasitic drag and requires more tension on the belt. So you get more side load on the crank and the additional parasitic drag is not being compensated for by any additional boost (because you are bleeding it off up top If I understood your statement correctly). Plus the increase in air temp. It is wasting a tremendous amount of energy in a system that is already not very efficient. The correct solution to the problem you are trying to correct is the proper torque converter with the desired boost level achieved by way of pulley ratio.
Of course its not the most "efficient" Ideally I would like to run full boost but I have a stock bottom end and would like to keep it alive best I can. Ive had 600 plus hp on my car for over 3 years now pretty much daily driving it.
I have aster bracket tension is set by a spring tensioner. The amount of energy it takes to spin a d1sc at max boost is nothing like spinning the bigger f series. I think if your spraying alot of meth like I am inlet temps dont matter as much. when I had 4.25 pulley on without wastegate it was peaking at 11psi. My inlet temps were so low I couldnt even tune for meth failure using inlet temp. I really think for a d1 stock bottom end running a wastgate is the way to go.

Quick Reply: If you know how to wastegate a procharger come in.