Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans

I got a lot of ideas from this forum so I figured I'd post some pictures of my setup for others to get some ideas.

Blower Intake- 9" S&B filter, ATI truck hat, 2" barb hose adapter McMaster for bypass tube, EGR hose barb. The bypass tube is silicone, but a radiator hose would work better since the silicone is pretty ridged and any expansion/contraction/vibration difference between the ATI bypass valve and intake hat will stress the hat connection. I've got solid motor mounts so not much is shifting compared to soft mounts. In the pictures the gray material on the hat is 2-part industrial epoxy for the bypass adapter (yeah it got away from when applying but it works)

IC Pipes- 3" CX racing kit. The blue silicone is not at joints, I slid it over locations that could vibrate against the frame, cruise control etc in order to dampen. The IC pipe is in three sections:
1. Blower to passenger side IC
2. Driver side IC to 60deg silicone ,next to ABS
3. 60deg silicone to MAF

Bumper - I didn't want to delete the bumper entirely, so I made a replacement out of 1.5" square steel. I used only 4 of the 6 bumper bolt locations. The bumper itself is beefier than OEM, but with only 2/3 the bolt shear strength. Stronger than nothing.

FMIC- 4" CX racing IC hung in front of bumper with vibration isolators/dampeners top and bottom. Fully tucked inside bumper cover. Its further forward and higher than most of the others I've seen on here. I applied some foam to the top IC corners as the bumper skin rests about 1/16" away.

HVAC- Hung a new condensor (~60% area of OEM) behind bumper. There is a 2” gap between the IC and Condensor. I cut the connections off the old OEM condensor and welded to -6 and -8 aluminum tubes. I had a left over 9” SPAL fan from old setup so I hung it off the bumper behind the condensor. The fan is wired to a relay triggered by the AC compressor signal. I wish SPAL made a 9” fan gasket to seal against the condensor. Also, an 11” fan (or two) would be better than 9”, but I ran out money and the AC is low on my list.

Engine Cooling- Howe (Lou Gigliotti) radiator with oil cooler. This is a drop in fit for hoses and mounts, but with a thicker core. I got this years ago and I don’t know if LGMS still sells this, but it is a wonderful unit. Modified the ATI radiator support to tilt the radiator forward ~1" and clearance front fan. Two SPAL 16" fans (one push one pull) with gaskets mounted direct to radiator core. The fans are offset from one another and overlap the center. The fans are connected to the OEM relays for low/hi parallel/series operation. The thermostat is a 180deg, so I programmed the fans to start at 195deg. I bypassed the throttle body.

Manifold Vacuum- Spliced in a Tee to the brake booster line and ran it to a block. The block is tucked/tie wrapped next to the ABS unit and connects to the ATI red valve, vac/boost gauge, and a Hobbs switch for 2nd in tank fuel pump.

PCV- Filter where the OEM PCV valve would be. LS6 valley port runs to a catch can mounted and readily accessible behind the condensor. Two check valves on the catch can vent to either the intake manifold (vacuum) port behind throttle body or the ATI truck hat (boost). The intake manifold pulls 7psi at idle so I know its venting OK. However, I’m a little concerned that the check valve may not be opening under boost (cracks at 3psi). I figure the truck hat is less than atmospheric, so if the valley ever reaches 3psi it will crack the check valve. I just don’t know the vacuum in the hat.

Horns/cruise control- Bent the horn mounting frame and swiveled the horns to make room for pipe. Drilled a drain hole in one that points above horizontal. Mounted CC direct to rail.

Washer Reservoir- The OEM unit interfered with condensor by 1/8” and there would be no space for a fan. If I redid the bumper I could make it fit. But this time I swapped in a smaller reservoir. Upside is it will allow better airflow.

Trouble shooting:
I was testing out the cooling fan circuit with HPTuners and could only get the driver side fan to run on high. After way too much trouble shooting, I found the Fan Low trigger wire (green pin42 on bluePCM) between the computer and relay was cut. The wire runs through the harness clipped to the upper radiator support. The driver side clip is too small for the harness OD and had cut through the convoluted split tube, the fan signal wire, and chaffed several other wires. Didn’t notice this before because I was running the single fan ATI kit.

Prior setup would never read accurate manifold pressure. Two reasons, the gauge was reading off the Tee fitting for the HVAC reservoir (next to the VCM) downstream of the check valve and the tub to reservoir connection was leaking.

Next up is a blower rebuild with higher flow impeller, injectors, new cam and updated tune.
Attached Thumbnails FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1080.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1081.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1085.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1086.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1087.jpg  

FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1088.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1089.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1090.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1091.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1092.jpg  

Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

more pictures
Attached Thumbnails FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1093.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1094.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1095.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1096.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1097.jpg  

FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1098.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1099.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1100.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1101.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1102.jpg  

Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

even more
Attached Thumbnails FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1103.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1104.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1105.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1106.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1107.jpg  

FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1108.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1109.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1110.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1111.jpg   FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans-imag1112.jpg  

Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. Street car.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Nice. Street car.
Big time. I used to race it open track, but one too many off courses and I realized that I had fallen in love with it and couldn't bare too see anymore damage. So out came the roll bar etc and in went the subwoofers.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What fans did you go with?

Do they have three wires for the hi/low or did you splice those together?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
What fans did you go with?

Do they have three wires for the hi/low or did you splice those together?
They are the low profile 16" curved blade push and pull fans. The motors in each are the same. SPAL PN 30102049 (VA18-AP71/LL-59A) and SPAL PN 30102048 (VA18-AP71/LL-42S).
The SPAL fans are two wire. I don't like the blade type connectors that SPAL uses so I converted to weatherproof
connectors   connectors
and wired same as OEM fans. PCM triggers FAN relay 1 at low fan temp and they run in series, thereby sharing current and running about 1/2 speed. PCM triggers relays 2&3 at high fan temp and they run in parallel, both full max current straight to ground and full speed rpm. I used 16" SPAL Mounting Gasket 30130074 to seal against the radiator.

In other words, the SPAL fans are wired just like the OEM fans.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the stock F-Body fan harness a three prong connector for each fan?

The GTO version is and has a separate connection for the low and the high.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What condenser did you use? I've been driving myself nuts trying to make more room on my setup and never even contemplated this. How are the head pressure readings on the ac?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Is the stock F-Body fan harness a three prong connector for each fan?

The GTO version is and has a separate connection for the low and the high.
Stock is two pin connector for each fan. Aussie's designed the GTO cooling system and gave it the nice stuff.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ping King
What condenser did you use? I've been driving myself nuts trying to make more room on my setup and never even contemplated this. How are the head pressure readings on the ac?
Its a 12x24" universal condensor with brackets left and right. O-ring 6 and 8 ports. I ordered this part and it came painted black and the vertical bracket ran the entire length.

I'm charging it later this week, so I'll let you know later. I was going to ditch the AC altogether, but then I figured even if this condensor is undersized for hot days under full load, its still better than nothing if it works on the milder days. Dual fans 10-11" would go a long way on the condensor, but all I had was one 9".
Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Stock is two pin connector for each fan. Aussie's designed the GTO cooling system and gave it the nice stuff.
Do you know if SPAL of other fan manufacturer makes a three pin fan?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

In for an update on the AC situation. I have a 12x20 mounted directly in front of my relocated radiator. I haven't charged it yet and after seeing this post I'm thinking I may move it to the same location that you did.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by michael101
In for an update on the AC situation. I have a 12x20 mounted directly in front of my relocated radiator. I haven't charged it yet and after seeing this post I'm thinking I may move it to the same location that you did.
I have the same unit that will be going in front of the rad. This condenser with a 26x16 rad will tuck perfectly. Im going to have a new rad built.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michael101
Dried and charged the AC system. Works fine so far but it hasn't seen ambient temperatures above 75 deg yet. The test will be 100 deg days sitting in traffic, but that not for few more months. I'll update as soon as the system is pushed.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Needed an update regarding temp on hot days in stop and go traffic.

My block mounted temperature gauge peaked at 228F in stop and go traffic on a 95degree day with the AC on max. Over 50 mph and the temp would stay between 190-210F.

AC blows ICE cold.

Oversized battery helps with amperage draw of AC blower, Condensor fan, dual radiator fans and two subwoofers. I have yet to load the alternator with the above plus headlights.

I've got an aftermarket 170amp alternator from my suburban that will go in next time I pull the blower off.

Quick Reply: FMIC, Relocated Condensor, Dual 16" fans