Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HP Tuners.... How hard to learn, Should I go this route?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners.... How hard to learn, Should I go this route?

I am about ready to get into my tuning. I started calling around local shops for numbers on Dyno tuning. I have gotten prices from $700 to $1100. When I can get the Hp tuners pro package for $650 and be able to have the capability to it just makes the most sense.
From people who have the knowledge, how hard will it be for me to learn this software and get a solid tune done on my car? I have heard of people downloading base tunes to get started and get the car on the road. Are these readily available, and are they through the HP tuners site?
Some input would be great.
I dont know a whole lot about tuning right now, but I pick things up very fast.
Should I go this route?
Anyone in the detroit area willing to help out?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's definitely something you can do on your own if you're willing to put in the time reading and doing research.

What's done to your car, or what do you plan to do that you need tuning. Since it's in the FI section, I'm guessing you are either already running FI or plan to. FI is a little more difficult, but the cosequences of a bad tune are far greater. If you mess up a na tune, it'll drive like crap, and over time can waste the motor. With FI, it can drive fine, but first time in boost, if it's not right, you can torch a motor in very little time.

Again, it's doable if you are someone who is able to learn on your own. Hell, there's even classes you can take to learn. Plus there's a lot of online resources, but it's on your shoulders to do it right.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
It's definitely something you can do on your own if you're willing to put in the time reading and doing research.

What's done to your car, or what do you plan to do that you need tuning. Since it's in the FI section, I'm guessing you are either already running FI or plan to. FI is a little more difficult, but the cosequences of a bad tune are far greater. If you mess up a na tune, it'll drive like crap, and over time can waste the motor. With FI, it can drive fine, but first time in boost, if it's not right, you can torch a motor in very little time.

Again, it's doable if you are someone who is able to learn on your own. Hell, there's even classes you can take to learn. Plus there's a lot of online resources, but it's on your shoulders to do it right.
I am just finishing up my turbo instal. Was running NA for the past year or so but just finished the turbo. Motor is all stock for now, another reason I want the ability to modify the tune later, I plan on building a seperate 5.3 block for some higher HP numbers. So it would be nice to be able to tune that as well after I finish, cant quite justify spending the kind of money in dyno tuning twice. Even one time seems high.
I also want to tune out a lot of the factory stuff, go speed density, most of the typical stuff.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend learning to tune yourself. I got tired of spending hundreds everytime I wanted to change something so I learned to tune myself. Took some time to get comfortable with it (along with some frustrating moments) but it was time well spent. And looking back at some of the tunes I paid for from reputable tuners I can honestly say that they were not as thorough as I am (not entirely their fault b/c there's only so much you can do when you only have a car for a few hours).

If it's not too late, get some of the basics out of the way before completing your turbo install. Experience goes a long ways towards tuning and I'm not sure how well I or my engine would have done if I started out tuning FI.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1999Black_Z28
I recommend learning to tune yourself. I got tired of spending hundreds everytime I wanted to change something so I learned to tune myself. Took some time to get comfortable with it (along with some frustrating moments) but it was time well spent. And looking back at some of the tunes I paid for from reputable tuners I can honestly say that they were not as thorough as I am (not entirely their fault b/c there's only so much you can do when you only have a car for a few hours).

If it's not too late, get some of the basics out of the way before completing your turbo install. Experience goes a long ways towards tuning and I'm not sure how well I or my engine would have done if I started out tuning FI.
Thats what I was thinking.
I already have everything in place, I guess I could start tuning without tuning for turbo and just let it spin, but I dont know how logical that is. what do you mean by getting some of the basics out of the way?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a lot of work and research but just ask questions on here and i'm sure you will get the help you need. But I think its stupid to do an entire build yourself and hand it off to someone so they can take the credit for all the work you did. Plus as Black_z28 said its a pain in the *** to change things by bringing it to the tuner and spending 500 bucks everytime you do something. Just start reading up on the forums and how everything works and take your time its really not that bad.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Launching!

But I think its stupid to do an entire build yourself and hand it off to someone so they can take the credit for all the work you did
Exactly, I hate letting anyone do any type of work on my stuff. The only who will ever do anything completly right and how you want it is yourself.

sounding like it wont be that bad, probably going to go ahead and do it.

what is the deal with the base tune for a turbo I hear people mentioning on here?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Is the Holley EFI system an option for you?

Being a complete noob to the FI world, the new Holley system made it a breeze for me. All I did was type in a target AFR and low and behold that's where the AFR is. Couldnt of been easier. I never would of tried FI if I had to rely on a tuner at 500.00 a shot.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by User-c3
Exactly, I hate letting anyone do any type of work on my stuff. The only who will ever do anything completly right and how you want it is yourself.

sounding like it wont be that bad, probably going to go ahead and do it.

what is the deal with the base tune for a turbo I hear people mentioning on here?
Obv its way easier to hand it off and you will get it done quick but i just would rather learn what my engine is doing and be able to control everything myself. Well people say base tune just to get them started but every tune is different depending on cam intake injectors fuel blah blah.........but your all looking for the same number at idle and wot. Just start researching on hp's forum or look at some tunes its def intimidating at first because hp tuners is so in depth but just read up. I can send you my tune i've been working on and you can at least look at what everything does and just look at all the different **** in there
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Is the Holley EFI system an option for you?

Being a complete noob to the FI world, the new Holley system made it a breeze for me. All I did was type in a target AFR and low and behold that's where the AFR is. Couldnt of been easier. I never would of tried FI if I had to rely on a tuner at 500.00 a shot.
I looked into it, but to be honest the price tag is not appealing for me. I would love to be able to plug something in and just enter in a few numbers and be done, but I try to save money every spot I can. It is appealing though, and I hear they are pretty good.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Obv its way easier to hand it off and you will get it done quick but i just would rather learn what my engine is doing and be able to control everything myself. Well people say base tune just to get them started but every tune is different depending on cam intake injectors fuel blah blah.........but your all looking for the same number at idle and wot. Just start researching on hp's forum or look at some tunes its def intimidating at first because hp tuners is so in depth but just read up. I can send you my tune i've been working on and you can at least look at what everything does and just look at all the different **** in there
That would be great, any help and insight I can get is appreciated. Thanks...
Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

what do you mean by getting some of the basics out of the way?
I guess I should have said "learn to do some of the basics". Once you learn how to setup the scanner, create PID's, histograms, wideband, etc tuning is really not all that hard. All this stuff takes time and experience so that's all I was getting at....a lot easier to do without worrying about the traction issues, boost, knock, etc associated with FI

I refer to the base tune for a turbo as the work converting to 2/3bar SD, getting the 105kPa+ rows of the VE table close, setting up Boost Enrich table, PE, injectors, and safe timing just to get it running before you start logging/tuning.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1999Black_Z28
I guess I should have said "learn to do some of the basics". Once you learn how to setup the scanner, create PID's, histograms, wideband, etc tuning is really not all that hard. All this stuff takes time and experience so that's all I was getting at....a lot easier to do without worrying about the traction issues, boost, knock, etc associated with FI

I refer to the base tune for a turbo as the work converting to 2/3bar SD, getting the 105kPa+ rows of the VE table close, setting up Boost Enrich table, PE, injectors, and safe timing just to get it running before you start logging/tuning.
This. I've had hp tuners for about two months and it's been a learning curve. But it's not impossible. Just buy it!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going this same route. I've had two tunes done here in Michigan and they both were an waste of time. I'll be getting my HPTUNERS software in about an month and diving into it head first. I do recommend that you get a good base tune done like mentioned above then you can "tweak" it from there. I'm starting with an mail order tune from Frost and will be working off of that.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM
8 Second Club

Good glad your going to give it a shot and buy it!! Its like taking a hot chick home and right before you take her clothes off you hand her off to someone else LOL
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Launching!

I had to do alot of reading, might as well join the hptuners forums board.

Here, This should get your feet wet and help you to be able to self learn majority of basics. Also key note, when and if you buy HPtuners when you install the program, you can press F1 and a hptuner help info will pop up. You can find out what each MAP does here. Enjoy

http://ls1tuningguide.com/tuninghelpfiles.php
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard of some classes that are taught around the country. Like a 3 day weekend course. I do my own tuning. I think mine is just messed up enough it runs really well. lol I do not understand half of the **** but am learning also. If I get the money together I won't by the Holley just because I enjoy the tuning side of things. I will take one of the courses if I can.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel the same way OP. I tired of paying for tuning everytime I change something. I will be buying hptuners once Im all done. I'm sure it will be tuff in the beginning, but it's just like anything else it takes time to learn
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Good glad your going to give it a shot and buy it!! Its like taking a hot chick home and right before you take her clothes off you hand her off to someone else LOL
That is the best analogy I could have ever heard!!!! Perfect example

I had to do alot of reading, might as well join the hptuners forums board.

Here, This should get your feet wet and help you to be able to self learn majority of basics. Also key note, when and if you buy HPtuners when you install the program, you can press F1 and a hptuner help info will pop up. You can find out what each MAP does here. Enjoy

http://ls1tuningguide.com/tuninghelpfiles.php
Thanks, I actually found this site yesterday in my searching, saved it as a favorite to refference.

really appreciating the thoughts,
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

remember to add in about another 200 bucks for a wideband. people always forget that little detail.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners.... How hard to learn, Should I go this route?