Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Swapping engine, K-member.....

Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping engine, K-member.....

Not directly related to Forced induction, but it is for my twin turbo build...

ok, I will be paying off my new engine from AES in the next few weeks and going to pick it up a couple weeks after that, and my build will be fully underway. So im trying to get some info now so im not stuck when i go to start on the car again. Anyway...

I need to pull my stock engine out obviously to put the new one in, but i am wanting to get the engine bay painted. I have a friend who owns a body shop who is willing to tow my car to his shop and paint the bay for me for like $200. Id have that in materials and buying a gun so i said ok. Problem is, i wanted to pull the engine out from the bottom with the K-member and all. But then he wouldnt be able to tow the car..

My thinking was, pull my stock engine out through the top since everything is basically torn down. and let him take the car so it can be painted, leaving the stock k-member in with the tires and suspension still on the car.

after the car comes back from paint and i have an empty engine bay, can i just remove everything from the the car like you normally would if you were removing the engine from the bottom? then disassemble everything from the old k-member to the new one on a cart, then bolt up the engine and put it back into the car? its the only way i cant think of to make this work. i really dont wanna swap engines and do my wiring and stuff, then have to have him tarp the engine off to try to paint the bay.... What do you guys think?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time i pull my engine it comes out the top. I think the way you described would work just fine.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why you can't do that. I would prob do it the same way
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't tell you how many times I have pulled my engine and trans out the bottum then bolted the k member back in to make it a roller. IT really isnt that hard
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I can't tell you how many times I have pulled my engine and trans out the bottum then bolted the k member back in to make it a roller. IT really isnt that hard
QFT. This was always the fastest for me. 10 bolts, 8 nuts/bolts (front shock towers), a couple lines, and bam it's out the bottom. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours at most to drop it out the bottom. Pull the motor/trans off the k-member, and bolt it back in.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Launching!

I'm with the guys to take it out the bottom, have had mine out several times. And dropping the k member is faster and easier.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Ill be doing this in a garage with no lift. I made 12" wheel cribs to get the car in the air. Any tips on raising the front end? My radiator support is gutted so i can't lift by that. I don't like the idea of using 2 jacks.....what's the best way? What should i use as a cart?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping engine, K-member.....